HSBC Advance Upgrade

Comments

• wizzywig27
    wizzywig27 Posts: 1,536
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    No, you don't necessarily qualify for an automatic upgrade without a credit check after a certain amount of time meeting the £1750 PM criteria.
    If you are going to start meeting the criteria of £1750 PM i would go to branch and complete a full application with credit check, you don't need to wait until you start paying the money in, however you may need proof of the income (TSB statement or payslip)

Well then I’ve been misinformed on here and over the phone
  • wizzywig27
    Forumite
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    I'd suggest that you aren't going to get any satisfaction from HSBC.
    Nationwide, TSB and even B are much better imo.

See the post above, nationwide is a Basic bank account, TSB have gone down on my estimation since this debacle and following poor customer service from the CEO (his office) themselves and B - I just don’t feel they meet my banking needs. Can’t explain why.

Although last week the app did start playing up telling me I needed the internet to use the app (I did) - it then wouldn’t let me log on with my user details. These things happen don’t get me wrong, but I’m not a fan of their app
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    wizzywig27 wrote: »
    See the post above, nationwide is a Basic bank account, TSB have gone down on my estimation since this debacle and following poor customer service from the CEO (his office) themselves and B - I just don’t feel they meet my banking needs. Can’t explain why.

Although last week the app did start playing up telling me I needed the internet to use the app (I did) - it then wouldn’t let me log on with my user details. These things happen don’t get me wrong, but I’m not a fan of their app

The implied point (that you don't seem to get) is that those providers are better than HSBC and you aren't happy.
  • wizzywig27
    Forumite
    The implied point (that you don't seem to get) is that those providers are better than HSBC and you aren't happy.

But isn’t that subjective? Plus, and I dont mean this the way it sounds, my original question wasnt related to customer service, it was regarding upgrading to the advance account

Edit: I do get it, its just a moot point
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    You are absolutely correct that anybody else's view of customer service is completely subjective. If you want to see how HSBC pans out then you are perfectly free to do so.

Thanks for answering my question about why you wanted the HSBC account. Do you really feel the need to be able to withdraw £500 at a time from a cashpoint? Withdrawals at the counter can be made for larger amounts. As your other criteria was the regular saver, then Nationwide offer 5% on £250 p/m too, so if HSBC won't give you the upgrade why not make better use of your Nationwide account (or perhaps you already do)? If Nationwide is used up and you don't want to try M&S (no reason to think that their decision will be the same as First Direct, by the way) then Santander will give you 5% on £200 p/m with a 123 Lite account, and cashback on direct debits for £1 per month.
  • wizzywig27
    Forumite
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    You are absolutely correct that anybody else's view of customer service is completely subjective. If you want to see how HSBC pans out then you are perfectly free to do so.

Thanks for answering my question about why you wanted the HSBC account. Do you really feel the need to be able to withdraw £500 at a time from a cashpoint? Withdrawals at the counter can be made for larger amounts. As your other criteria was the regular saver, then Nationwide offer 5% on £250 p/m too, so if HSBC won't give you the upgrade why not make better use of your Nationwide account (or perhaps you already do)? If Nationwide is used up and you don't want to try M&S (no reason to think that their decision will be the same as First Direct, by the way) then Santander will give you 5% on £200 p/m with a 123 Lite account, and cashback on direct debits for £1 per month.

I have had the need to withdraw amounts of higher than £300 on occasions in the past, admittedly it isnt every week but the need is sometimes there.

I read the conditions of having the saving account with Nationwide and it states you have to have a 'main current account' - I am not sure if their basic account is classed as a main bank account or not. I would try M&S but think if HSBC said no to Advance and FD said no, I am sure they all have the same(ish) criteria.

I used to have a Santander account - long story (if you are interested look up my previous posts) - but of these reasons I would never bank with them again.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    wizzywig27 wrote: »
    I have had the need to withdraw amounts of higher than £300 on occasions in the past, admittedly it isnt every week but the need is sometimes there.

I read the conditions of having the saving account with Nationwide and it states you have to have a 'main current account' - I am not sure if their basic account is classed as a main bank account or not. I would try M&S but think if HSBC said no to Advance and FD said no, I am sure they all have the same(ish) criteria.

I used to have a Santander account - long story (if you are interested look up my previous posts) - but of these reasons I would never bank with them again.

Nationwide have main current account criteria on their website but a FlexBasic never gets those goodies. It does offer the ability to upgrade directly to a FlexDirect or FlexAccount plus £500 ATM withdrawals.

Knock yourself out with HSBC - was simply highlighting they have a poor reputation (on MSE) and in my experience they are substantially inferior to Nationwide, TSB or even Clydesdale/ Yorkshire Bank.
  • wizzywig27
    Forumite
    Nationwide have main current account criteria on their website but a FlexBasic never gets those goodies. It does offer the ability to upgrade directly to a FlexDirect or FlexAccount plus £500 ATM withdrawals.

Knock yourself out with HSBC - was simply highlighting they have a poor reputation (on MSE) and in my experience they are substantially inferior to Nationwide, TSB or even Clydesdale/ Yorkshire Bank.

Yeah I appreciate that, thanks. I would bank with Nationwide, but not with a FlexBasic account, which is an inferior product to what I have with any of my other accounts, so they would be the last ones I try whilst its a basic account. I did contact them to ask about upgrading and I got a response stating I would need to apply?!
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,392
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Relationship with bank ? Waste of your hopes, there. I banked with Midland then HSBC, of course, from 17.

In our late 50s we were able to manage a Premier Aacount, but the perks were gradually peeled away and they were only after our fees for investments. Travel insurance extras were very expensive

Very happy with Nationwide Flex Plus
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • wizzywig27
    Forumite
    I called Nationwide to enquire about upgrading, they said I need to use the account for 6 months at which point they will review it, or I can apply and be credit checked but it may still be a no.

Out of them all I would prefer nationwide, but they don!!!8217;t prefer me (and there is no way I would go to a basic bank account which may never be upgraded)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure