saving my future self from debt

Comments

• pennyforthepot
    pennyforthepot Posts: 652 Forumite
    edited 1 May 2018 at 1:50PM
    Money worries are not good for my well-being. My once calm and possibly vacuous mind is now filled to the brim and overflowing with the constant gibberings of my Thought Monkey filling every available space: when to spend, where to spend, why do you spend, what to save, how to save, when to save, pick it up, put it back, pick it up put it back. It is no wonder the world we live in today has such high levels of mental health issues.

I am off to meditate :)
    Goal:to save £16,000 by 30/09/2019 claw back rental costs
    May18 -£2,954.33/£16,000
  • pennyforthepot
    Slept much better last night. Running a bit late as I slept in a bit this morning. Did a really big shop yesterday as I had run the cupboards bare, particularly expensive items like olive oil and nuts etc. Didnt start the MS day off well when the petrol station at Asda was closed for maintenance which is half the reason I go there as its not round the corner and then I managed to leave my £1 coin in the trolley as I was so tired I wasnt thinking. Anyway the scores on the doors for yesterday are as follows:
    • £83.47/£250 food
    • £2/£60 kids cost
    • £8.49/£318.40 celebrations pot
    • £190 council tax
    • £65 electricity (I must increase my dd back up to £85, it automatically changes with reduced usage)
    • £2.62 daily electricity spend
    • £12.30 daily available spend
    • £369/£455 cash pot (I reduced it and shuffled some pots around
      again during my wakeful hours the other night- really tight now)

I picked up a few stocking fillers for xmas hence the celebration spend.I make DS an Advent Hamper too for uni which is basically edible goodies and toiletries that he cant normally justify buying so picking those up when I see them on offer.

Morning is calling - gotta dash

PFTPx
    May18 -£2,954.33/£16,000
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,262 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Have a good day :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • pennyforthepot
    I found choices hard to make yesterday when I doing my large food shop as I realised that to really make a significant cut in my costs I would need to make compromises with what I value and I had to ask myself whether I was willing to do that.

Treading lightly on this Earth is a phrase that I hold dear to my heart which means the way I shop should be environmentally friendly where it can be. This typically lends itself to more expensive shopping habits, (although I often either abstain from buying something if I can or make my own for household products and toiletries if possible). Food packaging is a big bug bear of mine and I would typically buy my fresh produce individually rather than bagged up which tends to make the cost more expensive. Yesterday I bit the bullet and shopped in a less environmentally friendly way and saved myself some money - it was hard and my consience weighs heavy :(
    May18 -£2,954.33/£16,000
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,262 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    I think the key to this is doing what you can when you can.
    I try not to beat myself up about it.
    My income is limited & I have to try to live within it.
    It is what it is.
    I try to make ammends in other ways.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • pennyforthepot
    beanielou wrote: »
    I think the key to this is doing what you can when you can.
    I try not to beat myself up about it.
    My income is limited & I have to try to live within it.
    It is what it is.
    I try to make ammends in other ways.

You're right Beanielou, I think I beat myself up too often. In fact you've given me a great idea. I'm going to offset my plastic carbon footprint from my food purchases by picking up the plastic rubbish that I see when I walk up my road to Tescos, there's always stuff lying around as I live half way up a hill so I think the rain washes it down. I can drop it in a bag and stick it in the bin just outside the shop. Thanks Beanielou - you just made my day:T
    May18 -£2,954.33/£16,000
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I agree with you, I would love to be more environmentally friendly with plastic packaging etc, but find My budget doesn't always allow it. I try when I can .

Loving your diary.
  • pennyforthepot
    edited 3 May 2018 at 4:26PM
    Scores on the Doors:
    • £1.50 - food (couldnt find the item yesterday)
    • £162.50/£250 left in food pot
    • £6.96 - stamps (from miscellaneous pot)
    • £33.04/£40 left in the misc pot)
    • £2.62 daily electricity (£5.59 for month to date)
    • £360/£455 left in cash pot
    • £12.41 Daily Available Spend (up 11p)
    • 2 x free coffee at work + one satsuma going spare!
    • 2 x strolls passed the Tesco taster table (cheese+biscuits) :D

PFTP x
    May18 -£2,954.33/£16,000
  • I have struggled and struggled with the eco angle of money saving too. I'm not sure where you're up to in my diary, but the short version is that I compromised entirely on that side of things for more or less a year, then just couldn't do it any more and introduced some of my old standards (plastic free food shopping as far as possible, organic dairy and meat where practical - ie not cream because it goes off in about 7.3 seconds, and not cheese because the price difference is unsustainable for us and we don't eat loads of it). I now do a hugely involved food shop, which means going to Lidl/Aldi and getting what I can plastic free there, then Sainsburys and getting the next tranche of stuff plastic free, then the zero waste shop and grocers in town for anything remaining. Some things I just cannot, for all intents and purposes, get plastic free (dairy, I'm looking at you again), and I have experimented with cutting them out but it's just not worth it and I have reconciled myself to a vastly reduced level of plastic rather than plastic free.

I'm not sure what the lesson is there, just wanted to let you know I have struggled enormously with it too! I mainly console myself with the knowledge that compared to the vast majority of people we know, we are treading incredibly lightly anyway - we don't fly, we buy very few clothes, we don't eat fast food, we eat seasonal local fruit and veg most of the time. We're not doing appallingly.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Four years ago my life was tripping along nicely, I even had a diary over on MFW - saving up to buy a flat in London. With the flick of a switch my world was turned upside down. Within a month of each other my husband was diagnosed with leukaemia, my 13 year daughter depression and anorexia and my step father septicemia following a routine operation which resulted in 4 agonising months in intensive care and the decision to turn off his life support, he was a year away from retirement. To add insult to injury our dog was knocked over and killed not long after.

This is not a post to evoke sympathy but to recognise whilst we are all paying off debt or overpaying mortgages you never know what is around the corner and should add into the equation some form of emergency savings.On a practical basis there are two things that made a MASSIVE difference during that period: the first was having enough of a savings buffer to help me through a torrid period which lasted nearly 3 years and the other was being a minimalist which meant there was no clutter to deal with on a daily basis and everything I needed was where it should be. Our family expenses increased horrendously in almost every area, whilst income dropped as DD was unable to bring in an income and I had to give up work for 6 months when my DD was too ill to go to school. Every pot was drained of any savings and I will never forget how often I was grateful that we didn't have money issues to add to the stresses of our lives.

Things have moved on since then and our lives have improved dramatically. I will always value the importance of a savings fund but also recognise that I need to maintain the balance between living for today and saving for the future

PFTP X

This I agree with 100%. Saving with no aim has no interest for me. Saving for emergencies to give you the security to know you can handle whatever life throws at you or saving for financial independence is the mantra we held for many years. Many people though do live life as if nothing will ever change and most of us know that is unlikely. An emergency fund gives you stability to cope with illness as you have had to deal with, redundancy and in the worst position bereavement.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure