PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Sunny & warm, spot of mini volunteer mini gardening very early, and now I have been given some runners + sweet peas. Think I can squeeze them in somewhere

Skipped breakfast
    Lunch was PB baguette, with cheese & salad filling
    Dinner will be LO cold chicken, and yet more salad, including twice LO HM spud salad

Now fancying making some bread, but the Brambling one is bit over my CBA threshold, tasty as it looks
    It's a parallel universe ... looks like there are no pies there.

That is one thing that makes this forum nice, nothing is "wrong" or "odd" whatever suits and at a time that suits. Gives a lot of ideas, even if not likely to be realised, as politicians keep telling us, it was an aspiration not a promise
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Oh yes Farway - being as how my own universe is a lot closer to Kittie's personally - if not exactly the same planet:rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    lol, you are a sharp cookie pn :D

Those flax crackers are the best I have ever tried, They went very crispy, light and puffed. I broke them up and they are now in the freezer as, honestly, they are moreish. Some of that and a bit of cheese will make a fab snack

Now I am thinking about breakfast tomorrow and it has to be ham/turkey pasta bake, all it needs is some cabbage with a few peas. I am quite enjoying this king/prince/pauper malarky, getting the main meal over with early is suiting me. I don`t expect I will manage it every day but I am going to try. Lunch will be omlette with a filling of roasted brocolli/tomato/garlic and tea will be spelt toast. My organic stuff arrives tomorrow and I will be able to have a big mug of normal tea, I ran out of milk yesterday and cba de-frosting a whole pint

ps: I have always believed in parallel universe (s) :D
  • :rotfl: Kittie at that re parallel universes - the jury is still out on that one imo.

But do you think there is one just like Earth - but with a LOT fewer people/no pollution/no wars/no very "young" people (ie ones of the immature variety)/no huge wage differentials? #where's a wistful smilie when one needs one?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    In a parallel universe I'm nearly 1' taller, with great hair, fabulous looks and I bagged myself a super-devoted multi-millionaire when I was just 17 ... and now enjoy a life of luxury, with staff on-site to pander to the many needs I'd be insisting I enjoyed "because I'm worth it".

Meanwhile, back in this one, I'm still short, never even found "Mr You'll Have to Do" and the evening meal was a whole frozen pizza .... and most of a bag of chocolate covered peanuts (1000 calories for the whole bag!) and a handful of fruit pastilles :)

For about a week now I've dug out and photographed three furniture items for sale on FB selling pages ... but have the buggah's had one iota of interest? No they have not .... so now half my living room is cluttered with these items. grrrr.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 15 May 2018 at 7:25PM
    In my parallel universe - I'm not sure if I look Swedish or Turkish (probably Turkish - provided I never got discriminated against for it of course:cool:). Not British looks though - as we aren't a very attractive race imo (too pale/not sharp-featured enough/many of us too short - including me:cool:). I'd still be English - as I figure English women got the 2nd best deal on the planet and English men got the best deal on the planet. Okay - I'm biased....I no longer take for granted our privileges we have just by birth....

Wouldnt mind being Dutch (nice country and still relatively reasonable climate and standard of living)....

I'd have lots of money of my own (obtained ethically of course:) - or inherited). I'd still not "Settle" - it would have to be Mr Right or no-one (otherwise I know very well I'd have been just as unfaithful as I would in this Universe - as I kept looking for him). Followed by wondering whether middle age would remove any men I was interested in from the scene just as effectively as it did in this Universe:( before Mr Not Right had divorced me:rotfl: or I'd decided to "try my chances" as a re-born single in case I stood a better chance of meeting Him.

Yeah yeah I know - in my 60's and still a Romantic underneath the Ms Dead Cynical By Now exterior.:rotfl:
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 May 2018 at 8:45PM
    Good evening everyone,
    I'm not sure about parallel universes though at times I'd happily step off this one;), though in fairness apart from the health shennagins overall I'm happy with my lot:).

I've never had pasta made from anything apart from wheat though have had added veg or squid ink varieties and enjoyed them. I'd want to "try before I buy" so to speak as I don't eat masses of pasta so wouldn't want it to lurk in the cupboard and not get used.

Spanish style chicken is finished cooking so I'm just debating what to have with it, probably some cooked sweet potato from the freezer. There will be spare sauce left so will keep that and after the pasta talk probably have that with added "something" & pasta tomorrow.

It turned drizzly this afternoon so no gardening done. It's dried up now but it's really windy and decidedly chilly. Bedding plants have been brought back indoors, hopefully a few more days of getting aired and they can go back out. I've had a very [STRIKE]lazy [/STRIKE] chilled out day today so hopefully I'll have my oomph (and balance) back tomorrow. I did was the kitchen floor this afternoon though as I managed to fling most off a cup of tea over it:o so it would have been silly to only wash the splattered part:cool:

ETA - ended up adding a tin of butterbeans to the stew. Worked well but has increased the LOs!
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    wort you're lucky your cat waits until the alarm, mine has decided 5am is a good time to wake me up. This morning I ended up with a 10lb cat sitting on my chest demanding an ear scratch. My sister [STRIKE]nags me[/STRIKE] tells me I shouldn't allow him upstairs :rotfl: if that doesn't work he jumps on the dressing table and knocks stuff off.

Farway the bread recipe is really cba but you have to wait 18 hours for it to rise rather than kneading. I do find kneading bread very satisfactory, some of the best bread I made was the day I was made redundant from my last job, I wasn't really imagining it was the management team :rotfl:

I managed to get a walk in with my sister tonight it was lovely to still be walking in tee shirts at 8.30pm across the fields watching the rabbits. We were only out for just over the hour but we both got work grumbles off our chests and then enjoyed the walk. My knee had been playing up since sitting in traffic yesterday morning and a good walk always helps.

Lunch was the last of the LO chicken, with a green salad and potato salad. Dinner wasn't so good I now remembered why I don't buy ready meals :( I picked up some YS goats cheese and caramelised onion ravioli In w*itrose as I wanted something quick, It was too sweet and I couldn't taste the goats cheese. I don't like to waste food but I think I'm going to throw the LO half pack away. Life's too short to eat what you don't like :D. Back to cooking my own
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Brambling wrote: »
    ...My sister [STRIKE]nags me[/STRIKE] tells me I shouldn't allow him upstairs...

I'd say this too. Although he's lovely and fluffy and cute, you have to make the choices.... you are the adult in the relationship ... and, ultimately, it's an animal that used to live outdoors, so it won't be neglect if you don't let it upstairs.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I wrote a similar post and deleted it but I cannot abide pets upstairs and especially in bedrooms. We never allowed it when we had cats and dogs. I never had any pet in this house and it is always fresh, visitors with asthma never get any breathing problems here. No hair, no fleas, no lurking dander, no tapeworm segments. On a duvet!!

King`s breakfast is eaten and the pasta bake was very good, not creamy and stodgy like bought bakes. I now await my organic box and will decide how to make a veg medley for my lunchtime omlette, maybe stir fry rather than roasted

Definitely nice for cycling later, that will be exercise done for the day
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure