Lifestyle income or accumulation?

Preparing to be shot to bits on this but need to understand the difference.
Me and her both have a range of vanguard LS funds in a S&S ISA each. These are all accumulation funds as I am building to use in conjunction with SP and private pension when the day arrives.
However as she sees her value gradually increase, she wants to ‘take a bit of profit’ now and then.
So, I am thinking, maybe she needs to change some to income accounts which I understand would pay out sometimes but can’t find out when.
I have explained the downside of selling units, depleting the amount owned etc but she is keen to get a bit of income now and then.
Any constructive input gratefully received.

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    or she could just sell some units when she wants income.
    If you have inc then it will probably cost you (in transaction fees) to reinvest that income when you don't want to cream it off
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,039 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Vanguard's LifeStrategy pays quite a bit less than 2% interest so not much of a source of income and as it's paid annually at the end of May it is even less suitable. Are you sure she is really as committed as you are to providing for her retirement? I'd stick with the Acc funds and just sell down periodically so that the ravaging effect of using something she is paying into for provision in older age for a short term benefit can easily be seen
  • Blackavar
    Blackavar Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes Malleygirl will cost to reinvest. Planning to sell every time it makes £500 and buy more up to isa limit.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 15 May 2018 at 8:19PM
    Blackavar wrote: »
    . Planning to sell every time it makes £500 and buy more up to isa limit.

Why sell if you're going to rebuy? Why not keep what you've got, and then you don't need to put any more money in to use up any more limit?

The ISA limit only gets used up when you bring more new money in from outside the ISA into the ISA. Merely buying and selling within the ISA doesn't use up the annual subscription allowance.

Effectively when she takes money out of the fund (whether by dividend income or just by selling a bit... she's getting paid, but she's paying herself with her own money. When she gets her money in her hand, she doesn't have it in her fund any more.

It might feel nice to "get a bit of income every so often", and who doesn't want that :) - but when ultimately the destination of the money taken out of the ISA is... the ability to have some spare money on hand, to be able to afford to put money into her ISA... It's the kind of psychological trick that doesn't really stand any scrutiny.
  • Blackavar
    Blackavar Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes, as soon as I posted sell, then buy more I knew it was nonsense so thanks for confirming !!!55357;!!!56898; But is there a practical methodology to buy more funds with the perceived !!!8216;profit!!!8217; made in the ISA? My guess is no - just hang on to them until cash is needed. She can see a £500 !!!8216;profit!!!8217; sat in her account (that I strongly encouraged her to open BTW) and wants the cash.
    I have explained it!!!8217;s not like a bank account and she will be eroding the earning potential. Will have another chat ........over a glass of wine or two !!!55357;!!!56848;
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As long as she is also prepared to put £500 back in when prices drop and it has made a loss then all will be well. That is why you need to leave it alone for 10 years to weather the ups and downs and come out (hopefully) on top
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure