Options
A website named 'Nextdoor' which I registered with in order to solicit a tradesman local to me, has an option to "invite" neighbours to join. According to their admin, this requires clicks on two option buttons to activate. After which they mail postcards to your neighbours inviting them to join the site.
To my great embarrassment, many of my neighbours have received these postcards, purportedly sent on my behalf, however to my knowledge I did not click on either of the option buttons, as it is something I would never do.
I have complained to the site operator, and requested proof that I made these selections, but have not received such proof so far.
Assuming, as I expect, that I do not receive such proof, to whom can I complain about this activity, incorrectly carried out on my behalf?

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You have to click on a great big green button that says INVITE, so you must have clicked on it.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm a Nextdoor member and as far as I am aware, none of my neighbours has received postcard invites on my behalf. I don't think there is much you can do.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nextdoor is a US based company and as such, their data protection and privacy requirements are determined by US laws.
    There used to be a very useful locally orientated website called "Streetlife which was taken over by Nextdoor and as soon as I read their new terms and privacy statement, I closed my Streetlife account before the details were switched to the new company.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38920906
  • Shackeng
    Shackeng Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    You have to click on a great big green button that says INVITE, so you must have clicked on it.

Thanks, but please read my post properly. According to their admin., it is a requirement to click on 2 (two) separate buttons to activate this. This did not happen.
    While I appreciate that you may consider that I was unaware of what buttons I pressed, I can assure you that, while recognising that it is quite possible to accidentally click on one button, it is stretching to conclude that I then went to the next page and deliberately clicked the next one.
    From the lack of an enlightened response, I guess you have no idea what UK authority may have power to call such sites to account.:huh:
  • Shackeng
    Options
    Nextdoor is a US based company and as such, their data protection and privacy requirements are determined by US laws.
    There used to be a very useful locally orientated website called "Streetlife which was taken over by Nextdoor and as soon as I read their new terms and privacy statement, I closed my Streetlife account before the details were switched to the new company.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38920906

Thanks very much.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Shackeng wrote: »
    I have complained to the site operator, and requested proof that I made these selections, but have not received such proof so far.
    Assuming, as I expect, that I do not receive such proof, to whom can I complain about this activity, incorrectly carried out on my behalf?

Exactly what proof do you expect to receive?. Any proof will simply be internal records which can easily be fabricated by them so I don't think they will provide you will anything you will be happy with.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Shackeng wrote: »
    Thanks, but please read my post properly. According to their admin., it is a requirement to click on 2 (two) separate buttons to activate this. This did not happen.

Yes, the big green INVITE button is after you click on something else. So that would be the second click.

I remember this as I remember thinking that I did not want all my neighbours receiving postcards!

It is quite a usefuly website where I live though. We use it for organisation of community events.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Shackeng
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    Exactly what proof do you expect to receive?. Any proof will simply be internal records which can easily be fabricated by them so I don't think they will provide you will anything you will be happy with.

While you are probably correct, this does not ameliorate my annoyance with the unwanted, and unrequested, activity 'on my behalf'.
    Herewith the reply I received to my request for proof that I activated the invitations.

I apologise for the late response as I was on off for the past few days.
    Reproducing the scenario will require to sign up for a new account. However, you can check the invites that were sent by clicking ‘Invite’ in the top right corner, then select ‘View your invitations’.
    I’ve also attached a sample photo of the message that you’ve might miss when signing up for an account the first time. Also, no more postcards will be sent to the homes that were invited and they will be blocked from receiving another invitation postcard for quite some time from other members.
    Let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with,
    Best,

It is glaringly obvious to me from the image they attached that I would never have clicked on it accidentally, and certainly not on purpose.
    The fractured english in the e-mail inspires no confidence that the activities of this company are above reproach.:mad::mad::mad:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well, it's clear now.

Your neighbours received them.
    You didn't click.
    It's done.

Company are "furreners", with furren laws ....

Just be quietly annoyed and forget it ...... just tell others it's !!!!!! .... and be done with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure