PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Extending notice period - mutually beneficial

Cutting a long story short:

We are renting and my landlord said she was selling up. We negotiated to buy the house to what we thought it was worth but landlord declined so it went on to the open market and she served our two months notice. She did however say this may be flexible.

We've since bought our own place but are still in the early stages with the solicitors and have no estimate on exchange yet. It won't however be before the end of our tenancy here.

We've allowed access to the property whenever they've wanted. However, with minimal viewings the landlord is struggling to sell this property. She has said it shouldn't be a problem for us to go past our notice period whilst awaiting to move.

My query is, I genuinely feel I am entitled to a discount on the monthly rent during this (hopefully) short period. I will still be paying the council tax etc whilst I reside here and she would be getting SOME rent, rather than none and be eligible for the council tax whilst the property sits empty.

I know this will rile some people but I've come to learn the housing market is cut throat. There's no loyalty and people do what is best for them. Well a discount is what is best for me. She would be cutting off her nose to spite her face otherwise.

Let me know what you feel. I'm thick skinned :D

Comments

• Katapolt
    Katapolt Posts: 291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    so why are you entitled to a discount? you seem to have missed that bit out.
  • Lvl_chg
    Lvl_chg Posts: 17 Forumite
    Due to now not having the right of a 2 month notice period.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    It's a two-way street and it seems you are also benefitting from the extended notice period. Would you rather the landlord enforced the notice period? (I assume not, i which case I don't see the rationale for a discount).

Be thankful for small mercies; you could be looking for a short-term rental to tide you over, and/or putting your stuff into storage while you wait for your purchase to complete.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    So the LL has served you with the 2 months notice,I would say they are being extremely helpful in saying that they can be flexible with your move out date,why should they then accept a reduced rent?

At some point when they get a buyer the process will require vacant possession with no tenants living there at any form of rent reduced or otherwise.
    LL's accept that sometimes its actually easier to sell a property when its empty so in some ways the quicker you vacate aligned with your notice period the quicker they can get on with selling the property.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You could just go and see if he sues. Trouble is, as you will then own your own place, when he gets judgment for unpaid rent he can simply put a charge on your new house until you pay.
  • Lvl_chg
    Haha. It does make me laugh that people think that the LL is somehow being helpful out the goodness of their heart. The only reason they want us their short term is that I'm contributing to their mortgage whilst they struggle to sell.

They had the opportunity to sell to me at the market value but instead decided to put it on the open market at a wildly over valued price. After never getting a formal valuation.

They've now asked if our final offer still stands and no it doesn't! There's been no loyalty to me as a model tenant for years so why should I show any loyalty to them and pay full whack.
  • need_an_answer
    Makes me laugh when the posters say they have thick skin then don't like it when they are given the answer that doesn't match their own opinion.

out of interest just how much of a rent reduction do you think you are worth?
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

• Lvl_chg
    At no point have I disliked peoples replies. I'm playing devils advocate.

I reckon I'm "worth" a 25% discount :)
  • need_an_answer
    Well i'll play devils advocate to and say yep go and put your proposition to your LL as you say there's no loyalty in the housing market so you have nothing to lose in asking

Personally if you put that request to me as your LL the answer would be no
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I reckon they're struggling to sell because you're there! Many on here wouldn't touch a tenanted property.

Don't be surprised if you find yourself out after your notice if you start 'requesting' discounted rent.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport