Paypal Direct Debit Dispute

Options
Hi,
I purchased an item for £213 using Paypal friends & family (stupid I know) that was never delivered. I put in a claim to Paypal who declined it. The next step was to raise a Visa dispute with my bank as my debit card is linked to my Paypal account.

However, as Paypal uses Direct debit to debit my account the bank says I cannot raise a visa dispute so I have to raise a Direct Debit Indeminty claim but they did not hold out much hope.

Is there anything else I can do, thanks?

Comments

• JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A DDI claim is not going to work either, because these are not for contractual disputes but for issues with the actual processing of the payment, and PayPal have processed the DD correctly.

Unless you are willing to find the person and take them to small claims, something which itself has no guarantee of success or repayment, you may have to eat this loss. Do report it to Action Fraud however.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • goldenmask
    Options
    that's what I though, thanks...
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well part of the processing fee that PayPal charges on transactions as "goods" instead of "friends and family" goes to funding the refund claims, if they can't recoup them from the receiving party.

The method of transfer that you used, as suggest by it's name is intended for usage between trusted parties, not to pay for goods or services.

You opted not to use the protection that they offer whether out of ignorance, misplaced trust in the seller or for being cheap doesn't matter. Bottom line is you don't get the protection.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure