Forum Announcement

Comments

• SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    quoia wrote: »
    Agreed.

I would estimate that over 95+% of my usage of MSE is "desktop" (OK actually a very old laptop) and only a tiny percentage on a tablet if I'm out and about.
    Think I've used a mobile to access just twice in "an emergency"

I switch to desktop mode on my phone when away from my laptop, much easier on the eyes and to navigate and with full functionality.

Also, in my experience (I have a couple of my own forums), a site with bling may look good but it can also end up putting off the mainstream of the users as it becomes a PITA to navigate around all the bells and whistles.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,483 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    edited 10 October 2019 at 8:52PM
    pooch wrote: »
    * - it's not just me saying this now, here is a comment by one of the BG's from back in 2015 about the redesign, and the feedback given then
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=69198458&postcount=5

I knew that would be a quote from Fermi before I clicked on it.

BTW I don't agree with the announcement headline that 'the Forum is broken and not working'. I think it's not as relevant as it was ten years ago, and a lot of valuable contributors no longer post (Fermi the first name that comes to mind) but it's still a valuable resource with many reliable contributors.

I understand that platforms become obsolete and things have to change but please could I request that function is given a priority over style.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,365 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Please can we have an easy way to exclude parts of the forum (ie Comp Boards for those of us who don't comp)

I currently have a link that a kind forumite gave me, that does this, when I search for new posts. It'd be good to still be able to do this still. Otherwise you're forever scrolling through pages of them, especially in the mornings when they're all launched.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    I'm NOT looking forward to a change. Every time any site changes something it's harder to use (despite the claims/justifications used by the site), more tme-consuming with little or no benefits. The "remedies" are "change your browser" - which for me would mean throwing out my computer, printer, printer supplies etc (which would no longer work with the latest operating system), spend copious amounts of money and even more copious amounts of time trying to get everything to work on the new system (which would no doubt only last a few years before it all starts again) and finding some things don't work as well or at all - and/or "use your smartphone instead"; assuming we all spend more bucketloads of money on a smartphone which (in turn) needs replacing/updating even more frequently and while I prefer to use the desktop computer.

Much of the "progress" and "updating" seems to designed to justify IT and management jobs and force us (I know some go willingly...) to throw large sums of money regularly at updating equipement which would work perfectly well if "upgrades" (hate that word because they rarely are) weren't foisted upon us at increasingly shorter intervals.

No wonder the planet is doomed - lots of waste and thrown away technology/equipment to sustain the profits of IT companies.
  • tolly16
    tolly16 Posts: 125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Another vote here for the old look
  • vixg66
    vixg66 Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I’m confused by people talking about the blue site. Are you referring to the main MSE site? I only see the forum in 80’s hospital green (which I hate). I’m no spring chicken but I would welcome a sleeker look on the forum - and anything but green!
  • Broadwood
    Broadwood Posts: 706 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    quoia wrote: »
    Agreed.

I would estimate that over 95+% of my usage of MSE is "desktop" (OK actually a very old laptop) and only a tiny percentage on a tablet if I'm out and about.
    Think I've used a mobile to access just twice in "an emergency"

I rarely use my old desktop now prefering the comfort of using the wife's 10" tablet. Using the Chrome browser I just tick the Desktop Site box and MSE then looks and feels exactly as it does in Firefox on my desktop.

Only in emergency would I use my 4" phone screen for MSE. My eyesight isn't really up to it.
    Never trust a financial institution.

Still studying at the University of Life.
  • Green forum please and the ability to access it on a desktop. Very important for many.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • SingleSue wrote: »
    I switch to desktop mode on my phone when away from my laptop, much easier on the eyes and to navigate and with full functionality.

Me too, only problem is the icons are tiny and it's easy to hit the wrong one.

I can never understand why mobile websites and apps are ALWAYS hamstrung in terms of functionality when compared to the equivalent desktop website (as I mentioned earlier this seems to be across the board, not a specific MSE thing, the ebay mobile site is an example which is far worse in this regard). What's wrong with just restricting the changes to optimising the view for a much smaller screen but preserving all the functionality?
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 9 October 2019 at 11:49AM
    A couple of pleas!

1. Please can we keep the green and white format and not that dreadful white one. I am visually challenged with glaucoma and the all-white layout is extremely dazzling and difficult to manipulate,

2. Please can you relocate the Reporting Spam button which is currently on the far bottom right hand side below every thread. With most of us being eight handed I,ve lost count of the number of times I've accidentally pressed it in error whilst swiping to move to the next thread. A move to somewhere further left would probably ensure less accidents.

PLEASE ASK YOUR NEW DEVELOPERS TO REMEMBER THAT MOST OF US ARE CREATURES OF HABIT AND HATE CHANGE, ESPECIALLY AS WE GET OLDER, And there are lot of oldies on here with older equipment and changing technology is already making life hard for us.

So please keep as much as possible to the current familiar layout on the surface, however much you need to change things behind the scenes.

Can you give us some idea of some of the things which were no longer working as I've generally found using the forum OK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure