Thomas Cook Ceases Trading - Compulsory Liquidation (EDIT MON 23/9)

Options

Comments

• soxmon
    Options
    We have a Thomas Cook airlines flight booked as a single return flight from our holiday only. We fly out with BA on 29th Sep. If they do fail before we are due to fly out, would travel insurance and/or credit card protection cover us for a replacement return flight if we go ahead and fly out with our BA flight?

If you are covered through travel insurance/credit card protection would that mean they would pay for a replacement flight to get you home or would they simply refund the cost of your original failed flight and expect you to pay the cost for a replacement (which would now be much more expensive given the short notice)?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    soxmon wrote: »
    We have a Thomas Cook airlines flight booked as a single return flight from our holiday only. We fly out with BA on 29th Sep. If they do fail before we are due to fly out, would travel insurance and/or credit card protection cover us for a replacement return flight if we go ahead and fly out with our BA flight?

If you are covered through travel insurance/credit card protection would that mean they would pay for a replacement flight to get you home or would they simply refund the cost of your original failed flight and expect you to pay the cost for a replacement (which would now be much more expensive given the short notice)?

Ask your insurance provider.
  • worldtraveller
    worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    edited 20 September 2019 at 8:56AM
    Options
    There is some more general information HERE on the MSE News site. It doesn't, and can't possibly, cover all eventualities, but should hopefully be useful for most people.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 September 2019 at 1:56PM
    Options
    OK, the news this morning isn't the greatest but here is the best advice I can give now. If you already have an ATOL Certificate you can be certain that the CAA will bring you home on the same day as you were due to return if anything goes wrong, so if you are due to travel shortly, go ahead and enjoy your holiday. You will not be stranded abroad, if you haven't travelled, you will get a refund.

If you have booked a flight only, these are not protected by the ATOL scheme so you need to look for alternative cover. Paying any part of the cost by credit card should ensure you get a refund if you haven't travelled and the cost of returning home if you are abroad. However, the bank will not make the arrangements for you. If you paid by debit card then you should get a refund, but not a penny more, unlike credit cards that should cover additional costs.

If you already have an insurance policy look and see if airline failure cover is included, it generally isn't except in the more expensive policies. Some agents will sell protection as a matter of course, in which case contact them if TC fails. If you currently have no cover against airline failure, no insurer that I can find is still offering cover, for fairly obvious reasons.

And of course, let us hope none of this is necessary!
  • alihunny
    Options
    We are due to fly out tomorrow - Flights with easyjet, hotel with Thomas Cook. I'm guessing that we can get home OK, but could we be asked to pay for the hotel again whilst we are out there? We have an ATOL certificate so can claim it back.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Options
    alihunny, you should be fine. Flights are paid for, and the hotel probably is too. If not, call the CAA on the number shown on the ATOL Certificate (so bring it with you just in case) and they may pay the hotel directly or you can get a refund if you keep the receipts. Of course, TC is still trading and there is no failure at all
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Even if they go into administration this weekend, if the buyout happens they can come out of it
  • James-may
    Options
    Obviously I'm hoping for the best not just for customers like me but all the staff, but I'm trying to work out where I stand here if all goes south.

I have paid approx 70% of a holiday leaving in Feb.
    Booked via Thomas Cook and have an atol cert for it.
    I have insurance but only basic and apparently doesn't cover travel company going out of business.
    I paid a one off payment of £400 on a credit card, and the rest is on DD via my current account.

Obviously my first port of call in worst case scenario is atol, but am I covered for what I paid so far via atol? Or am I only covered once I pay whole holiday amount?

I mean if rather keep the holiday and actually go away as if TC go under they are the only operator who fly's my route, and by the time I get my money back, factor in travelling to another airport in another city, and the inevitable price increase that will happen from the other operators knowing folk are desperate to get away, and that I have an exact 14 days off work with no flexibility would mean I probs wouldn't be going away.

Be good if you could keep the flight booking in place if it gets taken over, then you could book hotel independently.

I know no one has a crystal ball, but if anyone knows how it works with atol claims before I've paid in full that would be great.
  • bobblebob
    bobblebob Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can claim for anything you paid so far through ATOL
  • Ststina
    Options
    We got insurance with post over that covers airline failure. It does have a clause for knowing about the failure before hand and the insurance being void but we also have a 14 day refund. We had flights only booked didn’t want to lose 3k insurance is expensive cause if medical issues but I had to put it on my credit card. I hope they don’t go buss and we can still go on holiday in February
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure