PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

If you could live anywhere in the UK...

Just for fun and a survey exercise for me!

We currently live in Essex - just happened to get jobs here when we first moved over from abroad, and wanted originally to be close to London as some of my family are there. Seven years on, we see them rarely (every 2 months or so) and are feeling that the ties that bound us here feel a bit loose.

OH and I both work in the NHS, so could work in lots of places from that perspective. We would love to live somewhere with a bit more space, and with friendlier people (I'm not sure if that's just our experience, but we have struggled to meet people/make friends despite having young kids at school)

We have been looking at everywhere from Scottish Highlands to Cornwall to Northumberland - I just wondered, where would you live if you had no reasons to be anywhere specific?

Comments

• Barra

And that is too short an answer even though it is all I want to write
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I always fancied living on top of a hill somewhere. Just me.....and WiFi of course
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'd go back to my hometown in a heartbeat (if I won the lottery) in NW Cambs. OH would love a bit of Wold in Lincs, which I would do... If we ever won the lottery.

If you want to move somewhere with excellent links to London but where you get a helluva lot more for your money, you could try going up the railway line from Kings Cross...
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    The Cotswolds. Don't think I'll be able to afford to move back there now
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thinking about York.
  • annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I'd like to move further into the Cotswolds but can't see that happening as it's far too expensive. More realistically OH would like to move to Dorset, but I'd rather go to Hampshire, close to Dorset, close to London and depending which bit of Hampshire we picked only a bit over an hour to go home to my Parents
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • Live in Newcastle and wouldn't live anywhere else. Have lived in the Midlands and spent time all round the country for work or traveling and there's nowhere quite like Newcastle. People are friendly, it's so accessible, smallest big city in the world (apparently), and it's gorgeous (but I might be biased). Ignore Geordie Shore because it's nothing like that :)
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I'm perfectly happy with my small bit of land in Norfolk :)
  • Yalpsmol
    Yalpsmol Posts: 222 Forumite
    I live in the Cotswolds and love it. I grew up nearer Bristol but have been priced out and wouldnt move back now, I dont think. So if anyone fancies the cotswolds, just move your search to the south :money:

Some of my family are from the Lake District (Keswick). I would definitely like to live near the lakes or in the Welsh hills if jobs weren't an issue.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I live in Brighton and it's a dirty junkie filled dump but can't wait to move back up north and buy a big house with a garden for pennies. Only ten more years to go.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure