MSE News: Got an Equifax letter saying you were hacked? The helpline's struggling...

Comments

• keiran wrote: »

Should not there be an imperative for substantial damages and for heads to roll?

One would hope so, but the reality of the matter is entirely different.
  • Dewpoint
    Dewpoint Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I think it's diabolical that companies like Equifax - one's I've had absolutely no dealings with - can hold any of my personal, sensitive information. It's even worse when you consider this company is foreign based, and presumably not subject to the same privacy/confidentiality laws we have here in the UK.
    The government needs to step in, demand compensation for those affected by this leak, and take steps to ensure information like this is not compromised this way in future. I'm absolutely fuming. And I think it's ironical that Equifax is offering services to protect me after this cyber-attack, but only if I release even more sensitive information for them to lose. No thanks.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Dewpoint wrote: »
    I think it's diabolical that companies like Equifax - one's I've had absolutely no dealings with - can hold any of my personal, sensitive information. It's even worse when you consider this company is foreign based, and presumably not subject to the same privacy/confidentiality laws we have here in the UK.
    The government needs to step in, demand compensation for those affected by this leak, and take steps to ensure information like this is not compromised this way in future. I'm absolutely fuming. And I think it's ironical that Equifax is offering services to protect me after this cyber-attack, but only if I release even more sensitive information for them to lose. No thanks.

Not actually so - they already hold all the information about you. All they're doing is checking that you're who you say you are by verifying your own information.

If anyone's been offered free Equifax Protect (which I'm sure is the case) it's a valuable tool in preventing the fraud this data breach may have unleashed. It's comprehensive, doesn't gather any more information than they already have, and may well protect you against fraud by notifying you if anyone tries to impersonate you on a new bank account etc.

Don't reject what may actually be the best protection you can get.
  • Dewpoint
    Dewpoint Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Not actually so - they already hold all the information about you. All they're doing is checking that you're who you say you are by verifying your own information.

If anyone's been offered free Equifax Protect (which I'm sure is the case) it's a valuable tool in preventing the fraud this data breach may have unleashed. It's comprehensive, doesn't gather any more information than they already have, and may well protect you against fraud by notifying you if anyone tries to impersonate you on a new bank account etc.

Since I don't know what information they hold on me, or what's lost, then giving them ANY information is a further risk. I'm not touching them.
  • Doc_N
    Dewpoint wrote: »
    Since I don't know what information they hold on me, or what's lost, then giving them ANY information is a further risk. I'm not touching them.

Your decision, obviously, but if you've had a notification letter from them you're actually turning down the chance to protect yourself.

I'll not convince you, but having been through their security to establish my identity I can assure you that you're giving away no more information than they already hold. They will know, for example, your credit limit and balance on each account - confirming it adds nothing to their database.
  • vertex
    vertex Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Ive just received the letter! Im absolutely fuming as Ive got enough on my plate, and now Im being told that a company Ive never heard of has been hacked and my details have been compromised!!

Apparently my name, DOB and telephone number has been leaked. What could a hacker realistically do with this information?
  • vertex
    Doc_N wrote: »

Not true! Read the section "You can get free monitoring services – but must give your details" https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/protect/2017/11/got-an-equifax-letter-saying-you-were-hacked-the-helplines-struggling---heres-what-to-do?_ga=2.56338603.1029034699.1511370956-597850029.1471686505
  • Doc_N
    vertex wrote: »

The only additional item of information that they don't already have is an email address - which they need of course if you're going to receive the warning emails that are part of the protection.

Ignore the protection if you choose to, but there's a widespread misunderstanding in this thread of just how much Equifax know about all of us already - and that actually signing up just requires you to confirm what they already hold to prove your identity.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    vertex wrote: »
    Not true! Read the section "You can get free monitoring services – but must give your details"
    They may already have them if you have registered before. A couple of years ago, I signed up for the Equifax 30 day free offer. When I got my letter a little while back, I followed their instructions and was signed up for the free monitoring service without submitting any further details.

The only reason for submitting details is to prove your identity by comparing these with those that they already have on you.
  • vertex
    RG2015 wrote: »
    They may already have them if you have registered before. A couple of years ago, I signed up for the Equifax 30 day free offer. When I got my letter a little while back, I followed their instructions and was signed up for the free monitoring service without submitting any further details.

The only reason for submitting details is to prove your identity by comparing these with those that they already have on you.

I havnt registered with this company before (or even heard of them). I will fill in my reference code on their online form and see what if they ask for more info. I think Im understandably cautious about giving them more personal info.

What could a hacker realistically do with my name, DOB and telephone number?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure