Replacement conservatory roof advice please

Options

Comments

• cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 February 2017 at 5:50PM
    Options
    We replaced the polycarbonate roof on our north facing 3.5 x 3 m conservatory twelve months ago by the company that installed it for us, we had an argon filled blue tinted glass roof installed for £1800, only wish we had one originally, as it is a bungalow we still get the sun partially of the roof, made the interior room brighter and the self cleaning glass really appears to work although you still need to clean the UPVC occasionally.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    I'm talking about a suspended ceiling, like in offices. Lightweight frame and panels that look much like polystyrene. Much less gubbins to see and much less work. They'll also have an element of ventilation as the panels float, aren't fixed. There's nothing to rot anyway.

Interesting. I'll have a look into it.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    Why replace the roof? The money saving mse approach would be;

1) If it is dirty then clean it. Cost, say £50

2) If it is leaking then repair it. Cost, say £150

3) If it is worn out then ample new sheets would cost £100 at B&Q

Why pay thousands to tart up an old small conservatory? It is OK thinking about self cleaning glass, but unless the pitch meets the minimum requirement and the orientation and shading are suitable then the self cleaning will not work.

Also consider the weight, the strength, the insulation, the ventilation and Buildings Regulations if a solid roof is fitted onto the existing conservatory. All round this is a route to a potential disaster. Why pay thousands to take on all these potential risks?
  • bouncydog1
    bouncydog1 Posts: 2,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We've replace our conservatory roof with a new glass one. Its blue tinted and has argon gas between the panes to help with insulation. We've also put in underfloor heating which has hardly come on. The conservatory has been a constant 20-21 degrees so far this winter which is the best we've ever had it. On sunny days the glare is much reduced. We're going to replace all of the windows next which should make it even more thermally efficient.
  • Peter_Crew
    Options
    If you are going to do anything to your conservatory roof there is a simple way to check you are getting it done correctly and with a product that WILL COMPLY WITH BUILDING REGULATIONS. Simply go to the Local Authority Building Control website (LABC) and click on the "search" button. Type in the Keywords "conservatory roof". This will provide you with a list of Certificated Manufacturers recognised by LABC and the current GUIDLINES AND PITFALLS. In brief it will warn you that only a factory manufactured roof system that already carries their LABC approval certification is likely to pass Building Regulations. It warns you to be wary of on site manufactured builds and particularly "CLAD OVERS" using the existing structure which will become "Overstressed" by the additional weight. LABC list recognised and certificated systems. You would be simply nuts to have a non certified roof installed !
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    Peter_Crew wrote: »
    If you are going to do anything to your conservatory roof there is a simple way to check you are getting it done correctly and with a product that WILL COMPLY WITH BUILDING REGULATIONS. Simply go to the Local Authority Building Control website (LABC) and click on the "search" button. Type in the Keywords "conservatory roof". This will provide you with a list of Certificated Manufacturers recognised by LABC and the current GUIDLINES AND PITFALLS. In brief it will warn you that only a factory manufactured roof system that already carries their LABC approval certification is likely to pass Building Regulations. It warns you to be wary of on site manufactured builds and particularly "CLAD OVERS" using the existing structure which will become "Overstressed" by the additional weight. LABC list recognised and certificated systems. You would be simply nuts to have a non certified roof installed !

This is only a partial answer and does not state reality. If an Approved roof is fitted one has to check and inspect the installers to ensure bad work is not occurring.

A neighbour has recently had an Approved roof fitted, There have been endless problems with the ceiling falling in, the lights falling out, crack appearing...after weeks of remedial works hopefully matters are now OK.

The moral is to treat all such roofs as dubious and go into matters with your eyes wide open.
  • Polly2639
    Options
    Hi Silvertabby

I found what you have posted very interesting as I am in a similar position. Would you be prepared to let me know the name of the company you used as they seem competitive.

Many thanks
  • Polly2639
    Options
    We have a tinted glass conservatory roof, and glare isn't a problem. Mind you. I suppose it depends on how much sun it gets - ours is east facing, if that helps.

Our conservatory was about 16 years old when we asked for a quote to change the (dingy) polycarbonate roof for glass. That came out at £5K, which led us to thinking that was a bit much for an old conservatory, as a couple of the windows seals had gone, and the outer door was starting to discolour.

That led to another quote to replace the windows and doors, which was less than the roof. After further discussions about the need (or not) for blinds, the quote was changed to a brick wall on one side of the conservatory and new windows and doors for the remainder. Well, you can see where this is going --- I liked the idea of the brick wall (we'd always kept the blinds down on that side anyway) but not the idea of 3 different brick lots. Took a deep breath, looked at Mr S, and asked for a quote for a complete new re-build using just the original foundations.

That came out as a hybrid conservatory/orangery, and we love it. The final cost was £9K, being just £4K more than just the glass roof!

Hi Silvertabby

I found what you have posted very interesting as I am in a similar position. Would you be prepared to let me know the name of the company you used as they seem competitive.

Many thanks
  • tibs2647
    tibs2647 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    if you intend to sit in your conservatory in the summer or winter a solid roof option would be a better choice it becomes a garden room that can be used all year round.There many company's
    out there but not many who self support their roofs. There are some who just under cloak the original conservatory roof structure with insulation and plaster board then skim this presents a problem with glass or poly as this creates high temperatures between the insulation and poly or glass eventually causing distortion and break down of the above cheap to start but costly in the long run. As for the light issues strategically placed roof lights will solve that problem. Besides that you will be siting in your new space a lot more often so the light will be all around you.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    tibs2647 wrote: »
    if you intend to sit in your conservatory in the summer or winter a solid roof option would be a better choice it becomes a garden room that can be used all year round.
    I sat working in my conservatory on the day the "Beast From the East" was at its worst. The outside temperature was -6c and inside it was a constant 19c. The only heat was provided by a 5kW wood burning stove in our living room, which costs us next to nothing to run.

There are conservatories that function all year round, but the adaptations which allow this to happen aren't cheap.

People could be better suited with a garden room, but light levels are important in some situations, so "one size fits all" doesn't!

Why drag up a thread that's nearly a year old?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure