flights to the south pacific

i want to go to the south pacific (tahiti & cook islands) in august but i'm not paying the £1500 fares readily available. my strategy is going to be, to pre-book the local flights (i.e. Oz or NZ to tahiti/cook islands) for about £300, and then wait for the right flight price to down under which you can get for £600. anyone care to encourage or discourage this strategy? thanks, mark.

Comments

• blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    mhibbard wrote: »
    i want to go to the south pacific (tahiti & cook islands) in august but i'm not paying the £1500 fares readily available. my strategy is going to be, to pre-book the local flights (i.e. Oz or NZ to tahiti/cook islands) for about £300, and then wait for the right flight price to down under which you can get for £600. anyone care to encourage or discourage this strategy? thanks, mark.

This is sort of like split ticketing when buying rail journeys and can be a good way of saving money.

One caveat though:
    Ensure that you factor in delays when connecting to the separate flights to Tahiti etc
    both outward and inbound.
    If a delay\cancellation of one flight causes you to miss the connection there will be no compensation or help by the other airline.

Long haul prices to OZ\NZ tend to be at the £600 price around Apr-Jul IIRC. Hope the the weather in Tahiti is good then. :D
  • olias
    olias Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Try http://www.roundtheworldflights.com/

I have just had a quick search and there are routes taking in the south pacific for less than £1000. If you do the 'build your own rtw ticket' thing, then it comes up with loads of options. They seem to only show 1 South pacific stop, but state you can change or add to the itinerary, so your best bet is to give them a ring.

I have used them before BTW and they were great. No problems.

Olias
  • retire_2
    retire_2 Posts: 14 Forumite
    you could try low cost airlines jetstar and air asia, dont know if they fly there but worth a try
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE Forum Team
  • When are you planning on going.
    You can get flights to Rarotonga next April (wonderful time weatherwise) for £922 with Air New Zealand.
    This would be best use of your time as it is quicker to go via LA.
    For moneysaving I'd highly recommend the Cooks as its beautiful and there are lots of wonderful places to stay. Its much cheaper than Tahiti. If you do go make sure you spend some time on Aitutaki (where they film Shipwrecked) - it's out of this world!
    I wish I was there now!!!
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    What about flights starting in Paris.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure