Ryanair charged me for a transaction they said failed... now what?

Comments

• kapowaz
    kapowaz Posts: 12 Forumite
    Well, I tried ringing the above number. Three times. Each time after navigating the voice menu (which takes an astonishing 2 minutes 30 seconds to let you get to 'All other enquiries') it gave me a message about transferring me to a queue, at which point the line went dead.

Three times. This cannot be unintentional. In all seriousness, Ryanair is a diseased corporation and there should be some law against this kind of unscrupulous behaviour.
  • kapowaz
    Ryanair finally responded to my letter… by emailing my girlfriend (even though she was not the person who paid the ticket, merely the passenger). I've quoted the email below in full.
    To: [email address redacted]
    Subject: Your Correspondence with Ryanair
    Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 17:22:16 +0000

Without Prejudice

[postal address redacted]

Our Ref: xxxxx

Dear x,

Following your recent correspondence to us regarding booking confirmation number xxxxx.

Ryanair tickets are fully flexible, however as stated in our fare rules, all tickets are non refundable.

As per our Terms and Conditions of Travel which are agreed to at the time of ticket purchase, passengers can change flights dates, times and routes by paying a change fee along with any fare difference applicable (subject to seat availability). These changes can made up to 12 hours prior to the scheduled flight departure time of your outbound journey online at www.ryanair.com or up to 4 hours prior to flight departure, via a Ryanair reservation centre (subject to centre opening hours).

Passenger name changes are also permitted up to 4 hours prior to the scheduled flight departure time via a Ryanair reservation centre (subject to centre opening hours) for £70.00/€100.00 (or local currency equivalent) per passenger.

Whilst we sympathise with your circumstances, we regret we are unable process a refund or issue you with a credit for your booked flights.

However, we would recommend that you contact your Travel Insurance Company regarding any possible claim.

Yours sincerely,

Ryanair Customer Services.

**************************************************************************************
    Ryanair Holdings plc (Company No. 249885) / Ryanair Ltd. (Company No. 104547).
    Registered in the Republic of Ireland. With registered address Corporate Head Office, Dublin Airport, Co. Dublin, Ireland.[/email]

I'm really not sure what to do at this point beyond literally going straight to a letter before action. It seems from this that they're not prepared to entertain the notion that the blame lies with their faulty booking system and by quoting terms and conditions of travel they are implying I'm not eligible for a refund. The line about my travel insurance company also made me laugh (bitterly); what on earth has this got to do with travel insurance?

So... any tips before I start writing something threatening?
  • There are two Irish agencies who might be able to help you with this.

1) The National Consumer Agency (Like the UK's Office of Fair Trading)
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/
    Telephone : +353 1 402 5555 (Lo-Call rate 1890 432 432 within Ireland)

2) The Small Claims Court
    http://www.courts.ie/courts.ie/Library3.nsf/PageCurrentWebLookUpTopNav/Small%20Claims%20Procedure?opendocument&l=en

You can actually make your application to the court online, it's a very simple process and it's quite likely that if the company knows its in the wrong it will simply pay up before it goes to court anyway.

You can make your application through this site:
    https://smallclaims.courts.ie/esmallclaims/claim/Main?page=home&Language=English

Hope that's of some help!
  • joejoejoe_2
    joejoejoe_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 7 April 2009 at 8:56PM
    Interesting... I've had the same problem as the original poster; tried twice to book some flights, got an error messgae both times, so booked with another airline & then recieved an unexpected booking conformation from Ryanair.

I've started the process of applying for a refund but I'm not hopeful... surely I haven't done anything wrong though...??? (other than try to book flights with Ryanair!)
  • nico26
    nico26 Posts: 823 Forumite
    edited 8 April 2009 at 10:17AM
    This has happened to me as well The error notice came up 3 times.Luckily enough I phoned customer services at the time and the flight had been booked. But not really interested in any complaint about the system.and what had happened. I was told just write and complain. Fat lot of good that would be.
  • kapowaz
    Yes, well writing and complaining was no use in my case. Ryanair told me to take it up with my travel insurer (as if that was of any relevance to a payment transaction). I've not actually done anything about this still; eventually I'll pursue it through the Irish small claims court as per the instructions posted above.
  • joejoejoe_2
    joejoejoe_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Well that makes three of us in the same situation....
    I've sent them a fax everyday and will continue to do so until I recieve an answer.
    I'm gonna try speaking to my credit card provider as well to see if they can help.....

I'm happy to pursue this as far as I can & the flights aren't until September so we've got time on our side...

I'll post if I have an update from Ryanair..
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,244
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I suggest sending a formal 'letter before action' to their UK address at Stansted airport. That way, you can if necessary make use of the English small claims system, which I am told is easier to use than the equivalent in Ireland.
  • trets77
    trets77 Posts: 2,886
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you were to Join WHICH they have a legal travel helpline which is very good .

As for Ryan Air i know there are those who say they have made Air Travel Affordable , but there is growing group of people who are actively hostile to company and would fly with anyone but them. trust me one serious air accident and there is world of hurt coming down on Mr O Leary's head.

I have flown with them without problem , but unless they are the very very last resort and I'm totally desperate i will not fly with them because of there dirty tricks and Found you on the bottom of their shoe attitude.
    Better in my pocket than theirs :rotfl:
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,517
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Well well, here we go again. Soon enough there will be one of the pious brigade coming on saying "you knew the terms before clicking submit" or " I don't know what the problem is, I flew 4 times to Timbuktu for 1 penny, lovely jubbly". You play with fire (RA) and you get your fingers burnt. Why on earth should you have to take a screenshot of an error page, it beggars belief that when you book with this crook you have to guard your back every step of the way.
    Good luck with the court action. As they are an Irish company I have a feeling that you will get little joy in a U.K. district court, and by going through the Irish court you will be obliged to attend the court of the defendants choosing.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure