Wayleave payment

Hi, everyone

I've written to the local Electricity Distribution company with a plan showing where I have 2 sets of wires crossing my property - about 40 feet, 5 wires in total.

They have written back as follows:
"Due to the exceptional number of claims received, Western Power Distribution has undertaken a strategic review of the way in which it settles cases like this. An important outcome of the review is a decision to offer termed wayleaves in respect of our high voltage equipment. A termed wayleave is an agreement which lasts for a specified period of time and for which a one-off payment is made by us to retain our equipment on your property.
The main focus of our review is to simplify and speed up the process, aiming to settle claims within weeks rather than months.
As a result of this review, providing your case meets our eligibility criteria I am willing to assess your case for a fast-track option for the grant of rights for the retention of our electrical equipment on your property. If deemed eligible, in return for the completion of a 14 year termed wayleave agreement we will make a payment of £2,000. I will produce the Wayleave Agreement and on its completion and return to me, the
payment will be made within 14 working days of receipt of the signed wayleave.
If you decide not to accept the fast-track settlement option, your case will be dealt with by negotiation on a chronological basis. It is important for me to stress that, given the volumes of claims we have received, a delay in settlement by negotiation is inevitable. The terms on offer with a negotiated settlement will be for the same 14 year termed wayleave agreement.
If you would prefer not to grant a 14 year termed wayleave, either via the fast -track or negotiated routes, we are also willing to offer an annual wayleave for our equipment. Under these agreements we make annual payments based rates which are agreed from time to time with landowner representative organisations. The present rate of payment for the type of equipment on your property is £3.56."

Has anyone any experience of the negotiation process and whether it is worth, in fact, all of the hassle?
I would negotiate myself and not employ someone to represent me.

Many thanks

Reg

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Do any of these wires supply yourself ?

Are any of these wires in a horizontal formation - if so probably 11kv.

If vertical 240/415v.

Rather than pay a little every year the distribution company pay a lump sum.

Is it possible that a previous owner had the wayleave ? If so you aren't going to get anything ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Hi, this is the first claim at the house i moved into last Christmas which they will backdate for 6 years to the previous occupier
  • Oh, sorry forgot to say none supply my house
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There seems to be a curious discrepancy between an annual payment of £3.56 and a 14 year lump sum of £2000. We were approached by some claim company because we have an electricity plus telephone pole in our garden. We signed the odd bit of paper and got just under £200 payment. If you don't want the hassle then a claims company is an alternative.
  • £3.56 PER WEEK over 14 yrs comes to about £2.5k
  • I think I'll take the money and run.

Would like the money for some relatively urgent home improvement work we've been putting off.

Just to reiterate, I called Western Power Distribution who then sent a letter which I emailed back and they made the offer within a week!

I would strongly recommend anyone with an electric cable crossing their land to do the same
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    £3.56 PER WEEK over 14 yrs comes to about £2.5k

That sounds right although the letter talks about annual payments.
  • reeac wrote: »
    That sounds right although the letter talks about annual payments.

well if they insist on £3.56 per YEAR, I would reject it
  • Just moved into our house last October.  If previous owners claimed can we claim
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure