AEG dishwasher slowly fills up with cloudy water after cycle finished

Hi there, can anyone help me?

My AEG dishwasher (FSE53630Z) finishes the cycle and is totally empty, but maybe 10-20 mins after the cycle has finished there's about 1-2 cm of cloudy water filling up from the bottom. I assume this is old water being pushed back into the dishwasher? As the filter is totally clear? None of the other drains/sinks are emptying slowly as far as I can see.

Comments

• See https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2399029 ... Some useful tips from a similar issue :)
  • Useful @moneyhelpuser5 but washing machine hasn't been on +-12 hours since I noticed the problem. There's a kitchen sink next to it, this pic might help?!? (Dishwasher on left and I think the waste is the grey flexi pipe to the right)
    JMjCWvtl.jpg
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    That hose coming from the dishwasher to the trap under the sink needs to go up in a loop. At the moment when you empty the sink the water goes into the dishwasher as it's the easiest route. Make it have to go uphill & it will go down the drain instead.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 October 2019 at 5:17PM
    I agree with with post 4. I had same problem when I had new kitchen the pipe from DW needs to go above the sink discharge otherwise water from sink could go into DW

JMjCWvtl.jpg
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Agree with the above. Even if you're not using the sink gravity dictates that waste water from the dishwasher will simply flow back down in this setup.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 14 October 2019 at 8:10PM
    Agree with others, take the grey pipe right up to touch the bottom of the sink before heading down in to the spigot on the combi waster.

You might be able to slacken the pipe with the spigot in it slightly and point it upwards to help you do this, remembering to re-tighten.

Perhaps take the opportunity to clean out the waste trap of any grease at the same time.

loose cable ties are often a good way of holding the pipe up at the top

once you have done this buy a dishwasher cleaning bottle (supermarkets) and run that through on a hot wash (as per label)
  • Well, I looped the waste pipe up over the top of the kitchen waste and did a quick wash. Dishwasher still empty 6 hours later. Am doing another (longer) test wash now and will leave to sit overnight.

Looking good so far, thank you so much for the help @essexexile, @savemoney @neilmcl and @lorian.

Saved me the money of a callout, much appreciated!
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Your welcome nice to hear that Waitrose Carpark
  • Well, I looped the waste pipe up over the top of the kitchen waste and did a quick wash. Dishwasher still empty 6 hours later. Am doing another (longer) test wash now and will leave to sit overnight.

Looking good so far, thank you so much for the help @essexexile, @savemoney @neilmcl and @lorian.

Saved me the money of a callout, much appreciated!

In case the issue returns, it might be this part pictured in the link at fault.

The orange/red disc, is like a basic non return valve, that should stop the dirty water in the drain hose from coming back through into the machine - it may be blocked, perished etc.

Dont whatever you do order anything from FIYO - in my experience they claim to have things in stock but dont !

https://www.fiyo.co.uk/pump-drain-magnet-for-dishwasher-140000443022-44215?gclid=Cj0KCQjwoqDtBRD-ARIsAL4pviA4olWPrr39SYUp8ADx9yBANpMAnrVOWmEu_TnYiVgxngA-jZCWouYaAodrEALw_wcB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure