Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Michael24
    • By Michael24 11th Oct 19, 6:36 AM
    • 21Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Michael24
    0 WOW
    Not Seating Children with Adults
    • 11th Oct 19, 6:36 AM
    0 WOW
    Not Seating Children with Adults 11th Oct 19 at 6:36 AM
    We have a holiday booked with TUI for half term and have been told that we have to pay £75 to guarantee that our 13 year old daughter sits with one of us, I find this quite abhorrent as I feel blackmailed into paying that amount as I can’t possibly let her be put at risk of sitting anywhere on the plane and I am not able to look after her.

Are there alternatives to this or is it just a question of having to “bite the bullet” and pay for the seats on top of the cost of the holiday?

I really feel as though this is something that needs a greater pressure to be placed on the companies and the authorities, it is a money making scheme by playing on the fears of parents.
Page 4
    • billy2shots
    • By billy2shots 15th Oct 19, 5:51 AM
    • 317 Posts
    • 348 Thanks
    billy2shots
    But apart from a few low cost carriers that is what happens. The reputable airlines will seat children with an adult. However what they won't do is undertake that family groups won't be split e.g. One parent with two children but the other parent somewhere else. This seems to be the problem that parents feel the entire family should be seated together. (I saw a post recently elsewhere bitterly complaining that the parents were seated together and an older child elsewhere .....instead of one of the parents switching with the child they kicked off on the plane....... bonkers)
    Originally posted by duchy

Yet my list clearly states it is with Flybe, a budget airline.
    It also states I flew with a different airline that seated one child next to a seat paying adult for free.

I’m not sure anyone is mentioning they expect an entire family to be seated together for free, that part has been made up by you.

The OP wanted a 13 year old not to be placed in a separate part of the plane and I was surprised my 7 year old could find himself seated away from a parent.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 15th Oct 19, 8:09 AM
    • 14,633 Posts
    • 13,074 Thanks
    zagfles
    Any definition of seats together is not mine.
    So it's not 'whatever definition of "together" I want'.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    I meant "you" generically! Wasn't that obvious from the rest of the post?

Replace "you" with "one" if you really want:

Well if they aren't "together", using whatever definition of "together" one wants, one can then select seats!

I did this 2 days ago, so I know what happens.

One goes into online check in.

It then presents one with the seats it has allocated one.

If one is happy, one confirms check in with those seats, no charge.

If one don't like those seats, one has the option to pay to change them.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 15th Oct 19, 8:15 AM
    • 14,633 Posts
    • 13,074 Thanks
    zagfles
    But apart from a few low cost carriers that is what happens. The reputable airlines will seat children with an adult. However what they won't do is undertake that family groups won't be split e.g. One parent with two children but the other parent somewhere else. This seems to be the problem that parents feel the entire family should be seated together. (I saw a post recently elsewhere bitterly complaining that the parents were seated together and an older child elsewhere .....instead of one of the parents switching with the child they kicked off on the plane....... bonkers)
    Originally posted by duchy
    They won't undertake to do so but most will try to. Other than on Ryanair, we've never been split even in adults only groups of up to 5.

By "split" I mean more than an ailse or row apart, obviously it's physically impossible not to split a group of 5 by a single row or aisle.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 15th Oct 19, 8:18 AM
    • 14,633 Posts
    • 13,074 Thanks
    zagfles
    I should imagine a teenager would feel quite grownup not having to sit next to their mother for a couple or more hours. They'll inevitably have their earphones in anyway and not be any more aware of what's going on around them than they usually are.
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    Our did when around 8-10, they had seats next to us but the flight was quite empty, they spent most of the flight down the other end of the plane playing tamigotchis with some new friends they'd just met!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 16th Oct 19, 5:15 PM
    • 23,658 Posts
    • 63,804 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I meant "you" generically! Wasn't that obvious from the rest of the post?

Replace "you" with "one" if you really want:
    Originally posted by zagfles
    Obviously it wasn't obvious.
    At least not to me.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 16th Oct 19, 5:30 PM
    • 5,489 Posts
    • 8,804 Thanks
    Nick_C
    ... obviously it's physically impossible not to split a group of 5 by a single row or aisle.
    Originally posted by zagfles
    A pedant writes:

Air China are still flying some 777-200s with a 2-5-2 configuration. Was the perfect layout IMO, but unpopular with the travelling public for reasons I will never understand.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 16th Oct 19, 6:01 PM
    • 14,633 Posts
    • 13,074 Thanks
    zagfles
    A pedant writes:

Air China are still flying some 777-200s with a 2-5-2 configuration. Was the perfect layout IMO, but unpopular with the travelling public for reasons I will never understand.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    Probably because the middle seat of the 5 won't be popular - hemmed in on both sides, having to clamber over 2 passengers to get out, without the compensation of having a window...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,785Posts Today

6,993Users online

Martin's Twitter