The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Wood Burning Stove gives chemical smell

I have had a Charnwood Country 4 installed for over 2 years now - and gets used regularly over winter. However, it seems that whenever it gets going and hot - a chemical smell is emitted, which then starts to fade away the longer it has been burning. This smell / fumes tends to cause slight headache. The log stove is positioned quite close to the back wall due to limited space, but it was installed professionally. The walls were painted over in standard masonry paint before the stove was installed. I am aware that was not the right kind of paint to use, and should have been fire/heat resistant - however, I did not think that would cause the smell after a couple of years. The bricks in the recess do get very hot when the stove is fully on.

The fire surround is made of pine and does get hot, but long after the smell starts. The chimney gets swept every year, and I only use well seasoned hard wood. Do you think it is a case of the paint on brick behind / to the sides? However, why would the smell start to go away after the fire burns for longer? Not sure how I would be able to remove the paint on the bricks, especially with the stove in place. Would a solution be to simply paint over the existing paint with proper fire/heat proof paint?

Any help you can give would be appreciated as this is most frustrating after a couple of years.

Comments

• It could be a build up of tar deposits somewhere inside the stove that start to fume off as the stove gets hot.
    My Clearview stove does it sometimes.
    A good brush off of the tar deposits solve the problem.
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You have had it in 2 years. So, it should have had 2 sweeps by now. Have you had it swept yet?

Depending on the quality of the word and the way you burn the wood, there will be varying degrees of creosote building up along with other things. If you start getting a chemical smell or a harsh burnt smell, then it often means you are overdue to sweep.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure