Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • robj73
    • By robj73 12th Oct 19, 12:55 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    robj73
    DCA asking medical report
    • 12th Oct 19, 12:55 AM
    DCA asking medical report 12th Oct 19 at 12:55 AM
    Today I received two letter from the same DCA regarding two ccj.
    They asked me to provide a letter from my GP or something similar plus expenditure forms and letter of authority....
    I have spoken first with Lowell Solicitors to find out what is going on, now as you can see as I am not well recently I don't sleep too much and my depression is getting worse since I am dealing with these companies. I feel pressurised. I spoke with them initially on the phone and I explained I am no employed and I do have mental issues....any of you so kind can let me know what should I do please? Are they allowed to ask me that? Thank you
Page 1
    • Karonher
    • By Karonher 12th Oct 19, 11:14 AM
    • 699 Posts
    • 2,377 Thanks
    Karonher
    • 12th Oct 19, 11:14 AM
    • 12th Oct 19, 11:14 AM
    If you are saying that you cant pay some or all of the debt because of mental health issues I think they will want to know that is true before deciding how to proceed. Often people lie about being ill and they want to make sure you are not doing that.

If you just ignore it you could still be contacted regularly and asked to pay more than you can afford. If you send proof then they may be more helpful. If they were not the fact that you have co-operated would help if you needed to complain.

I am sure it would not have to be a detailed letter, just something backing up what you have already told them.
    Getting ready for Christmas 2019

Aiming to make £5,000 online in 2019.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 12th Oct 19, 11:30 AM
    • 18,461 Posts
    • 17,357 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 12th Oct 19, 11:30 AM
    • 12th Oct 19, 11:30 AM
    Hi,

Lowell will be looking to enforce these judgements against you, you most certainly do not have to cooperate with them, but not doing so will most likley result in further enforcment action, which as you are not working, will be county court bailiffs knocking on your door.

Anyone can say they have these issues you have stated, and can`t aford to pay, so it would be in your interests to try to compromise with them, write to them explaining your concerns, stay off the phone, as its seldom productive, tell them you are uncomfortable with their request, give National Debtline a ring, they may be able to advise further, they are free to use, and certainly know there stuff.

The idea is to try to convince them you cannot pay, rather than you won`t pay.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".

Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

Helping you deal with problem debt.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
    • robj73
    • By robj73 12th Oct 19, 4:38 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    robj73
    • 12th Oct 19, 4:38 PM
    • 12th Oct 19, 4:38 PM
    I don't know about other people but I don't lie and I never done it. I believe if they want to know more then we can go in front of the judge. I don't believe it's fair and ethical I should give my personal infos to them
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Oct 19, 4:50 PM
    • 23,839 Posts
    • 26,507 Thanks
    zx81
    • 12th Oct 19, 4:50 PM
    • 12th Oct 19, 4:50 PM
    If you're not willing to tell them directly, I don't see why you would prefer to tell them in front of a judge.

It's fair and ethical that they want to understand the reasons you give for wanting to be treated in a particular way.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 12th Oct 19, 4:51 PM
    • 18,461 Posts
    • 17,357 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 12th Oct 19, 4:51 PM
    • 12th Oct 19, 4:51 PM
    I don't know about other people but I don't lie and I never done it. I believe if they want to know more then we can go in front of the judge. I don't believe it's fair and ethical I should give my personal infos to them
    Originally posted by robj73

Some people do lie, especially to debt collectors such as lowell, as I said, your under no obligation to give them anything, but in the same vein, there is nothing stopping them enforcing the debt further, a simple letter could avoid a lot of unnessessary hassle, as Lowell are usually pretty quick to back down when they realise you have no money.
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".

Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 12th Oct 19, 5:26 PM
    • 3,814 Posts
    • 2,000 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 12th Oct 19, 5:26 PM
    • 12th Oct 19, 5:26 PM
    I believe if they want to know more then we can go in front of the judge. I don't believe it's fair and ethical I should give my personal infos to them
    It costs them to take you to court, which they could also pass on to you.

Court is a long way and could lead to more stress.

You are being treated fairly by them asking you for the information, failure for them to act on it after you've done your thing should upset you of course.
    Not leaving my 'childhood' Home without a fight
    • Karonher
    • By Karonher 12th Oct 19, 5:37 PM
    • 699 Posts
    • 2,377 Thanks
    Karonher
    • 12th Oct 19, 5:37 PM
    • 12th Oct 19, 5:37 PM
    The more you put it off the less chance you will have of getting the result you want.

If your mental health is being affected why do you want to drag it out and not take the fair and easier option?

Do you believe that your doctor will give the information you want?
    Getting ready for Christmas 2019

Aiming to make £5,000 online in 2019.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 12th Oct 19, 5:59 PM
    • 18,461 Posts
    • 17,357 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 12th Oct 19, 5:59 PM
    • 12th Oct 19, 5:59 PM
    It costs them to take you to court, which they could also pass on to you.

Court is a long way and could lead to more stress.

You are being treated fairly by them asking you for the information, failure for them to act on it after you've done your thing should upset you of course.
    Originally posted by keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    Already been to court, the OP has two judgements in Lowell’s favour.

• Davy Jones II
    • By Davy Jones II 12th Oct 19, 6:57 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    Davy Jones II
    Then don’t give them the information, but you can’t expect them to make concessions that you may have asked for based on what you have told them without substantiation.

You may believe that you are honourable, but how will they know this? Their starting point is that they likely know that you have failed to honour a previous agreement, so you aren’t coming at this from a great place.
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 12th Oct 19, 6:59 PM
    • 4,414 Posts
    • 3,958 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    Hi OP,

If it is any help, the Money Advice Trust hosts a Mental Health Evidence Form (version 4) to help creditors decide how to support customers with diagnosed mental health issues. The guidance is linked below:
    http://www.moneyadvicetrust.org/creditors/Pages/debt-and-mental-health-evidence-form.aspx

The embedded links on that page will take you to the downloadable version of the Debt and Mental Health Evidence Form (DMHEF) form that GPs, social workers, and other mental health professionals can use. It is only recommend that the form is completed by mental health professionals.

The DMHEF is sometimes used when an organisation that is owed money needs evidence to confirm that a customer has a mental health problem.
    When this happens, the customer (or someone authorised to act on their behalf) approaches a health or social care professional to complete the DMHEF.
    The completed DMHEF is then shared with the organisation that is owed money. Along with other information, it is used to help decide what action to take.

Hope you find this helpful.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,072Posts Today

7,073Users online

Martin's Twitter