Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • minimalist baker
    • By minimalist baker 11th Oct 19, 8:50 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 2Thanks
    minimalist baker
    Best wifi dongle for strong range/coverage
    • 11th Oct 19, 8:50 PM
    Best wifi dongle for strong range/coverage 11th Oct 19 at 8:50 PM
    We have just got the latest Sky Q router and have always struggled with slow interent/poor range in our

When I had a look at the settings of the router it also had an option of 5Ghz. Can I use the 5Ghz for the one furthest away in the bedroom whilst the other closer devices continue to use 2.4ghz

Can anyone recommend a wifi dongle that they have found to have an improvement in a upstairs room or a room furthest away from their router?
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 11th Oct 19, 8:54 PM
    • 2,757 Posts
    • 1,966 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 11th Oct 19, 8:54 PM
    • 11th Oct 19, 8:54 PM
    Wifi isn't always specifically device dependent, a lot depends on the make up of the house you're in.

You can try it on 5Ghz if you like providing your other devices can see it, otherwise if they're 2.4Ghz only its a fruitless endeavour.

You might have to move the router, or increase its height to improve the range.

Might be of interest:
    https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Broadband-What-affects-your-WiFi-signal
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 11th Oct 19, 9:10 PM
    • 2,837 Posts
    • 1,404 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 11th Oct 19, 9:10 PM
    • 11th Oct 19, 9:10 PM
    We have just got the latest Sky Q router and have always struggled with slow interent/poor range in our

When I had a look at the settings of the router it also had an option of 5Ghz. Can I use the 5Ghz for the one furthest away in the bedroom whilst the other closer devices continue to use 2.4ghz

Can anyone recommend a wifi dongle that they have found to have an improvement in a upstairs room or a room furthest away from their router?
    Originally posted by minimalist baker
    The primary differences between the two frequencies are the range (coverage) and bandwidth (speed) that the bands provide. The 2.4 GHz band provides coverage at a longer range but transmits data at slower speeds. The 5 GHz band provides less coverage but transmits data at faster speeds.

The range is lower in the 5 GHz band because higher frequencies cannot penetrate solid objects, such as walls and floors. However, higher frequencies allow data to be transmitted faster than lower frequencies, so the 5 GHz band allows you to upload and download files faster.
    Your WiFi connection on a particular frequency band can also be faster or slower because of interference from other devices. Many WiFi-enabled technologies and other household devices use the 2.4 GHz band, including microwaves and garage door openers. When multiple devices attempt to use the same radio space, overcrowding occurs. The 5 GHz band tends to have less overcrowding than the 2.4GHz band because fewer devices use it and because it has 23 channels for devices to use, while the 2.4GHz band has only 11 channels. The number of channels that are available to you depends on the regulatory domain. If you’re experiencing a lot of interference from other devices, consider using the 5 GHz band

https://kb.netgear.com/29396/What-is-the-difference-between-2-4-GHz-and-5-GHz-wireless-frequencies
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 11th Oct 19, 9:11 PM
    • 9,205 Posts
    • 6,914 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 11th Oct 19, 9:11 PM
    • 11th Oct 19, 9:11 PM
    Aren't sky advertising (like BT) for whole house wifi? Just a question not a solution though
    https://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/why-sky-broadband/
    Last edited by debitcardmayhem; 11-10-2019 at 9:14 PM. Reason: add link
    Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 11th Oct 19, 9:51 PM
    • 9,205 Posts
    • 6,914 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 11th Oct 19, 9:51 PM
    • 11th Oct 19, 9:51 PM
    Your WiFi connection on a particular frequency band can also be faster or slower because of interference from other devices. Many WiFi-enabled technologies and other household devices use the 2.4 GHz band, including microwaves and garage door openers. When multiple devices attempt to use the same radio space, overcrowding occurs. The 5 GHz band tends to have less overcrowding than the 2.4GHz band because fewer devices use it and because it has 23 channels for devices to use, while the 2.4GHz band has only 11 channels. The number of channels that are available to you depends on the regulatory domain. If you’re experiencing a lot of interference from other devices, consider using the 5 GHz band

https://kb.netgear.com/29396/What-is-the-difference-between-2-4-GHz-and-5-GHz-wireless-frequencies
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    Yes but 5GHz has lower range compared to 2.4
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 11th Oct 19, 10:04 PM
    • 2,837 Posts
    • 1,404 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 11th Oct 19, 10:04 PM
    • 11th Oct 19, 10:04 PM
    Yes but 5GHz has lower range compared to 2.4
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem
    Yes, that is why I posted it for the OP to read and understand.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 11th Oct 19, 10:21 PM
    • 9,205 Posts
    • 6,914 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 11th Oct 19, 10:21 PM
    • 11th Oct 19, 10:21 PM
    Yes, that is why I posted it for the OP to read and understand.
    That's why I posted about sky doing what BT do
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 11th Oct 19, 10:31 PM
    • 2,837 Posts
    • 1,404 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 11th Oct 19, 10:31 PM
    • 11th Oct 19, 10:31 PM
    That's why I posted about sky doing what BT do
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem
    £5 extra per month for a guaranteed 3 Mbps connection in every room.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 11th Oct 19, 10:35 PM
    • 9,205 Posts
    • 6,914 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 11th Oct 19, 10:35 PM
    • 11th Oct 19, 10:35 PM
    £5 extra per month for a guaranteed 3 Mbps connection in every room.
    Murdoch prices pants...
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 12th Oct 19, 8:55 AM
    • 13,526 Posts
    • 10,111 Thanks
    neilmcl
    I use something similar to this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxesla-Adapter-802-11ac-Wireless-Compatible/dp/B07PMS4BFC/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp

Works wonders in my upstairs office room where the wifi on my laptop is rubbish.

And to answer your question about other devices using wifi at 2.4Ghz then yes these will be fine, it's called a dual band router for a reason.
    Last edited by neilmcl; 12-10-2019 at 8:59 AM.
    • that
    • By that 12th Oct 19, 9:06 AM
    • 1,290 Posts
    • 716 Thanks
    that
    that dongle will at leas have to have a long antenna,

for single room use i would get a wifi enabled powerplug, but it could be best to get a mesh system that covers your house.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 12th Oct 19, 9:08 AM
    • 13,526 Posts
    • 10,111 Thanks
    neilmcl
    that dongle will at leas have to have a long antenna,

for single room use i would get a wifi enabled powerplug, but it could be best to get a mesh system that covers your house.
    Originally posted by that
    The antenna on those dongles is perfectly fine, and for around a tenner it sorts the OP's issue out (or should do).
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 12th Oct 19, 9:18 AM
    • 1,805 Posts
    • 1,195 Thanks
    wongataa
    The 5 GHz band tends to have less overcrowding than the 2.4GHz band because fewer devices use it and because it has 23 channels for devices to use, while the 2.4GHz band has only 11 channels.
    13 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi channels in the UK. The US has 11.
    • that
    • By that 12th Oct 19, 10:12 AM
    • 1,290 Posts
    • 716 Thanks
    that
    The antenna on those dongles is perfectly fine, and for around a tenner it sorts the OP's issue out (or should do).
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    I have two similar, and they work well most of the time, stick out a it too much for my liking with potential to snag on stuff.

If it is bad for the laptop, possibly also bad for the mobile, smart watch etc?

If to much metal in place, or the router is poor design, you just cant polish a turd
    Last edited by that; 12-10-2019 at 10:15 AM.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 12th Oct 19, 10:24 AM
    • 2,837 Posts
    • 1,404 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Originally posted by neilmcl

You can buy similar that are position-able; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1200Mbps-USB-Wifi-Adapter-USB-3-0-Wireless-Network-Dongle-with-Base-for-PC-UK/153151621684
    • mksysb
    • By mksysb 12th Oct 19, 12:24 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    mksysb
    Do you need wifi, a powerline adapter may work better.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 12th Oct 19, 6:19 PM
    • 2,825 Posts
    • 3,793 Thanks
    Robisere
    Is this requirement for a desktop or a laptop?
    If for a desktop, this is the newer version of the adapter I had in my desktop before I ran an Ethernet cable across the bungalow loft. It gave me great reception across 3 rooms and 3 walls. It's Gigabit and Dual Band:
    https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/adapter/archer-t9e/

For a laptop, I would use this:
    https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/adapter/archer-t2uh/

Don't need this for wife's laptop, as she uses it close enough to the router. to the router.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • arciere
    • By arciere 12th Oct 19, 6:28 PM
    • 752 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    arciere
    I would spend the money on a Powerline adaptor rather than a (often useless) external dongle.

If you are using a laptop, its WiFi card / antenna will 99% of the cases have a better reception than a USB dongle (the majority of laptops have antennas that run all over the back of the screen).

Remember that WiFi is a two-way communication system: you can have the most powerful antenna in the world, but the other device (either the router or the laptop) must be able to communicate back. If it can't, there is nothing you can do.

5 Ghz will also not solve your problem, if you have very low signal (opposed to good signal but poor quality), as 2.4 Ghz network have a better ability to penetrate obstacles than 5 Ghz, therefore wider range.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,116Posts Today

7,124Users online

Martin's Twitter