Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsF34
    • By MrsF34 11th Oct 19, 10:38 AM
    • 26Posts
    • 5Thanks
    MrsF34
    Maternity Leave
    • 11th Oct 19, 10:38 AM
    Maternity Leave 11th Oct 19 at 10:38 AM
    Hello,

I am currently on maternity leave from my post with the local authority. This is my third baby. My local authority pay you 90% for 6 weeks, 50% + SMP for 12 weeks then the rest at SMP. As I do shift work that has allowances the pay for the leave is worked out from weeks 17 and 24 of pregnancy. In My previous pregnancies I received a letter stating what I would be paid for each of these weeks. Due to my baby arriving early I contacted HR to say my maternity started early and also to ask what my pay would be. HR have refused to tell me what Iím going to be paid. They say it was a courtesy to have been informed in previous pregnancies. Can they do this? I have raised a couple of complaints with them and still waiting for a response but Iím coming to the end of my first 6 weeks and canít work out what I will be paid in the next 12 weeks. They have also yet to send out my payslip as I donít have access to my online drive to get it. You can only do it from work. I have roughly worked out what I think i may get but I have no idea if my car payment (salary sacrifice) has been stopped, I donít know if they are paying me right etc. Would I not have a right to know what they plan to pay me?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks
Page 1
    • Blatchford
    • By Blatchford 11th Oct 19, 5:30 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    Blatchford
    • 11th Oct 19, 5:30 PM
    • 11th Oct 19, 5:30 PM
    As you work for a local authority, you can contact your union who can sort all this out for you.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 11th Oct 19, 5:32 PM
    • 40,094 Posts
    • 37,457 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 11th Oct 19, 5:32 PM
    • 11th Oct 19, 5:32 PM
    Not providing payslips is more unacceptable than not sending your SMP prediction. It seems odd that they haven't, because the payroll system must have generated it.

Have you escalated the issue?

Grievance?
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
    • Blatchford
    • By Blatchford 11th Oct 19, 9:03 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    Blatchford
    • 11th Oct 19, 9:03 PM
    • 11th Oct 19, 9:03 PM
    Not providing payslips is more unacceptable
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    It's not uncommon now. Almost all local government is paperless payroll now, so they will have generated the online one, which fulfils the requirement to provide a wage slip. Oddly, the law doesn't say that you have to be able to log on to get it. Because many have no set up for paper payslips it can take three or even four months for the system to catch up. Most payroll is now (a) so automated and (b) handled by so many different departments for different aspects, that the paperwork can take eons to filter through the system for changes like this. Since the posters maternity leave started earlier than expected then (a) it's likely that it is still in the system for paperwork being updated and (b) that HR don't have a clue what the payments in the future will be anyway. Local government HR does not manage payroll. Payroll is an entirely different function and often outsourced as well.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 11th Oct 19, 10:40 PM
    • 40,094 Posts
    • 37,457 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 11th Oct 19, 10:40 PM
    • 11th Oct 19, 10:40 PM
    Ah, as you can see we practically cross-posted. Union is a good idea: they should certainly be able to establish the status of the car payments / salary sacrifice.

Your explanation may well be correct: we (small charity) currently outsource our payroll but I'm the one who liaises with the bureau. And I know that if I have a question, there's one particular person I'd like to speak to for the answer - I'm not saying I won't get the right answer from anyone else, but I KNOW I will get the right answer from this person!

What I find is that once I submit the MATB1 and the date on which m/l is starting to the bureau, they generate a schedule of payments which I can pass on to the member of staff. I've also been experimenting with some payroll software, and the same happens with that software.

That's why I said 'the payroll system must have generated it', but I can well see that knowing how to get that schedule to the right person is more complicated.

So, if the OP could identify the 'me' in her situation, it could probably be sorted. But I'm easy to identify: there's only so many people it could be, and everyone knows everyone else!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
    • Blatchford
    • By Blatchford 12th Oct 19, 7:03 AM
    • 193 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    Blatchford
    • 12th Oct 19, 7:03 AM
    • 12th Oct 19, 7:03 AM
    In the five local authorities closest to me they have a shared, outsourced payroll (and other HR functions), and there is no "person" that you could identify. There is a "contact point" - generic phone and emails - and you get whoever answers your query. Although it isn't very funny, the standing joke is whether they or the IT department are the biggest joke. HR - the "real" HR have no control over this business unit. Their job is policies and procedures. They could no more answer a question about payroll or holiday allowances or maternity leave than they could fly to the moon. They can tell you the process - fill in X form, send it to Y - but not what that results in. Welcome to the world of saving local authority money.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 12th Oct 19, 6:19 PM
    • 40,094 Posts
    • 37,457 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 12th Oct 19, 6:19 PM
    • 12th Oct 19, 6:19 PM
    I'm the first point of contact for IT as well.
    Still knitting!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,994Posts Today

7,535Users online

Martin's Twitter