Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MissyHissy
    • By MissyHissy 12th Oct 19, 12:10 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MissyHissy
    LNER first class lounges
    • 12th Oct 19, 12:10 AM
    LNER first class lounges 12th Oct 19 at 12:10 AM
    Hi everyone. New forum member here. I have a question:

I'd like to know if anyone else on here has been turned away from one of the First Class lounges at LNER stations (aka east coast main line) despite being in possession of a valid ticket?

Reason I ask is that I've been turned away twice in the past 2 months from the one at Leeds station, with a variety of reasons given. After I complained, I was assured that it wouldn't happen again, but it did.

LNER website and social media teams are giving out info that First Class Anytime tickets for travel on the LNER network are valid for use in the First Class lounges, irrespective of price paid or distance travelled. But in my experience, if you turn up at Leeds First Class lounge with a First Class Anytime ticket for a journey between Wakefield and Leeds (cost 11.20 return or 5.60 each way), you will be turned away.

Reasons given to me include: (1) Ticket cost less than 10 (this rule is supposed to apply to Advance tickets only, not Anytime tickets). (2) Leeds lounge can only be used by travellers from Doncaster or further away (contrary to what stated on website). (3) Ticket could have been bought from another operator (it wasn't). (4) We don't care what the LNER social media team says, we work here in this station and they don't. (5) OK it might say that on the LNER website, but my boss says I have to do xyz.

As you can imagine, I'm getting quite miffed at not being allowed to access a facility that's supposed to be included in the cost of the ticket.

I've already complained (again) to LNER and am awaiting a response, but would be interested to hear from anyone else who has had a similar experience, just to see how frequently it's happening.

Thanks. :-)
Page 1
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 12th Oct 19, 9:19 AM
    • 8,376 Posts
    • 6,979 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 12th Oct 19, 9:19 AM
    • 12th Oct 19, 9:19 AM
    I doubt you will get much of a response as I can't imagine its a popular ticket.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 12th Oct 19, 2:07 PM
    • 13,311 Posts
    • 9,167 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 12th Oct 19, 2:07 PM
    • 12th Oct 19, 2:07 PM
    Surprising...

Not long ago I enjoyed an hour relaxing in the rather crowded lounge at Manchester. My first class ticket was to Stockport, and again cost around five pounds.

I can only suggest that you follow the LNER complaints procedure and if necessary escalate to Passenger Focus.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,846Posts Today

7,097Users online

Martin's Twitter