Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Just Dave
    • By Just Dave 11th Oct 19, 11:25 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Just Dave
    Friend confused re ESA/MR/UC/HB.. Assistance please.
    • 11th Oct 19, 11:25 PM
    Friend confused re ESA/MR/UC/HB.. Assistance please. 11th Oct 19 at 11:25 PM
    Single Person on ESA (old style WRAG payment) & HB. Had Fit for Work re-assessment. Still awaiting result.

Should they be found fit for work then I know they can ask for MR. And if that does not prove good then can appeal.
    My questions are... if they ask for MR what happens to HB as I know they won't get any ESA? Do HB "honour" a MR period or would the person be forced to claim UC so can get rent paid.

Should MR not be good then they go on to appeal what happens to HB & can they get ESA still - I think it is appeals rate?
    Would it be backdated for the time spent in MR?

Would they be better off claiming UC straightaway? Can they claim UC & still have MR in ESA & indeed an appeal?

Should that happen & they did an appeal for ESA & won I know they are not allowed back on ESA & the WRAG group. However, would UC then accept them as equivalent to old-style WRAG & hence still get the old WRAG premium albeit in UC "format"?

Sorry for all the questions, it is just rather confusing finding the best pathway.
Page 1
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 12th Oct 19, 6:38 AM
    • 3,537 Posts
    • 2,401 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 12th Oct 19, 6:38 AM
    • 12th Oct 19, 6:38 AM
    If ESA removed will need to contact local authority and provide them with household financial details so claim can be reviewed based on income rather than having automatic entitlement due to ESA (assuming ESA is income based). Payment of HB is likely to be suspended while the claim is reviewed - but when decision made any resultant arrears will be paid.

Assessment rate ESA can be paid during appeal period (will need to provide Fit Notes). Once appeal lodged I believe assessment rate ESA can be paid retrospectively for the MR period but Fit Notes will need to have been provided for that period.

If UC is claimed ESA MR and appeal can continue. If this is results in WRAG award then UC would pay the LCW element backdated to the start of the UC claim.. Arrears of ESA would also be paid for any gap between the ESA stopping and UC starting.
    Last edited by calcotti; 12-10-2019 at 6:48 AM.
    • Just Dave
    • By Just Dave 12th Oct 19, 12:58 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Just Dave
    • 12th Oct 19, 12:58 PM
    • 12th Oct 19, 12:58 PM
    Thank you for that. I did not realise someone could still claim HB from local authy just on low income grounds now that everywhere has become UC areas.
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 12th Oct 19, 1:12 PM
    • 3,537 Posts
    • 2,401 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 12th Oct 19, 1:12 PM
    • 12th Oct 19, 1:12 PM
    Thank you for that. I did not realise someone could still claim HB from local authy just on low income grounds now that everywhere has become UC areas.
    Originally posted by Just Dave
    A new claim would not be possible. However in the case you have asked about a claim already exists so a new claim would not be required. The existing claim would need to be reviewed due to a change of circumstances/
    • Just Dave
    • By Just Dave 12th Oct 19, 1:37 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Just Dave
    • 12th Oct 19, 1:37 PM
    • 12th Oct 19, 1:37 PM
    Thanks again. The system is full of confusion. Glad there are folk like yourself who know a thing or two!☺
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,072Posts Today

7,073Users online

Martin's Twitter