Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • brooklynokami
    • By brooklynokami 11th Oct 19, 6:18 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    brooklynokami
    Employer asking for money to make till even
    • 11th Oct 19, 6:18 PM
    Employer asking for money to make till even 11th Oct 19 at 6:18 PM
    hi! I know this has been previously asked, but a lot of it seems unclear due to different circumstances.

I have been told by my mananger that the till was down and that I have to contribute half of it back into the till to make it even. She's asked me to put it in with cash rather than taking it out my wageslip. Me and the manager both shared the till that day.

The only thing in writing that states that I should be liable is the employee handbook - which I don't have a copy of. I said over text message that I would put the money back, but having read about it, it seems I shouldn't.

I do not have a written contract either. No one in the shop that I work with has one either.

I currently get NMW and have read that it is unlawful for it to be taken as it would put me below NMW.

I'm unsure if it's actually legal or not for her to ask and I'm very confused -- a lot of threads I've read have stated that it should be in a contract but I do not have one, nor do I have a copy of the handbook -- I was only given about 5 minutes to read through the handbook too.

I am also under 18 if that helps.

If anyone could help, please do!! x
    Last edited by brooklynokami; 11-10-2019 at 6:21 PM.
Page 1
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 11th Oct 19, 7:20 PM
    • 5,348 Posts
    • 6,140 Thanks
    robatwork
    • 11th Oct 19, 7:20 PM
    • 11th Oct 19, 7:20 PM
    Can I just clarify you're getting 4.35 ph?

Anyway I'm sure even as young as you are you realise it's not right that you don't have a copy of the contract and handbook. I think when you kick up a fuss as you should, you won't have a job any more. Nor should you at this place...
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 11th Oct 19, 8:02 PM
    • 2,900 Posts
    • 2,625 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 11th Oct 19, 8:02 PM
    • 11th Oct 19, 8:02 PM
    It's not unlawful if the deduction puts you under the NMW. See: https://www.gov.uk/understanding-your-pay/deductions-from-your-pay

It does need to be in your contract of employment, and it cannot be just in the handbook because there is nothing that makes the handbook part of your contract because you have no contract (unless when you agreed to take the job it was made clear that the handbook formed part of your contract).

Your employer is an idiot if they make your handbook part of your contract of employment because your contract can't be changed without your agreement, so they are stuck with whatever version of the handbook they gave you, which is probably why they haven't given you one!

My advice would be to say that you send them a text will agree to a term in your contract of employment that makes you liable for the shortfall of the till providing the till is cashed up at the start and end of your shift, and that you will only accept liability for 1/nth of the shortfall where n is the numberr of staff who have used the till between the cashing ups (the points at which the money in the till is known to be correct).

The employer will probably want to dismiss you because you are too much trouble, so you need to weigh up whether you trust the employer to behave fairly. If you think they will treat you fairly, you might agree to a change of contract as above, but omitting the requirement to cash up at the start and end of your shifts as this will be quite onerous unless the shop has a very low turnover.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always check official information sources before relying on my posts.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 11th Oct 19, 9:02 PM
    • 3,814 Posts
    • 2,000 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 11th Oct 19, 9:02 PM
    • 11th Oct 19, 9:02 PM
    We've had a few escapey bags of coins where the containers into the safe have been enough strain to bring on an early period when there is to much change. But a few bags have apparently spent the night outside the safe...

If a customer goes off not paying for a paper then out of the purse it comes as better not to be screamed at.

Fortunately where I am the tips/gratuities get more regularly divided up rather then just left to Xmas as I first thought.
    Not leaving my 'childhood' Home without a fight
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 11th Oct 19, 10:59 PM
    • 40,094 Posts
    • 37,457 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 11th Oct 19, 10:59 PM
    • 11th Oct 19, 10:59 PM
    At this time of year, when every other store is recruiting for Christmas staff, I don't think I'd worry too much about being seen as 'too much trouble'. I'd start looking around now.

The fact that they are asking you to replace it in cash rather than showing it on your payslip speaks volumes.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
    • jlemaitre
    • By jlemaitre 11th Oct 19, 11:51 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    jlemaitre
    • 11th Oct 19, 11:51 PM
    • 11th Oct 19, 11:51 PM
    This had happened to me(users partner) about 18-19 years ago when I was working at Macdonalds. The 'float' was counted up before I came onto shift by a manager, and the till was left unattended by me during my 45 min break.

They wanted to take the money out my wages, and tried to get me to sign a wavier to allow them to redeem the shortfall of roughly a pound or 2(so about 45 mins work). As expected I refused to sign or let them take money of me. I had no contract and signed nothing beforehand.
    I scared them to back down and told them the following day my dad is in credit managment(which he was) and there appears to be something illegal going on within this company. They backed straight down and said ok we''l drop it this time but expect you to follow the rules next time.

Of course this now meant I had to take the 'float' out the till and count it myself(for arguments sake 100) each and every coin, yes that meant 100 1P 50 2P and so on. This could take sometime, needless to say it was soon dropped after that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,177Posts Today

7,233Users online

Martin's Twitter