Free ATMs vanishing as another 1,700 have started charging - MSE News

Options
Almost 1,700 free ATMs have started charging for cash withdrawals between January and March this year, with 1,250 becoming fee-paying in March alone...
Read the full story:
'Free ATMs vanishing as another 1,700 have started charging'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• 20SmthngSver
    20SmthngSver Posts: 512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Or withdraw cash at the counter.
  • woolythoughts
    woolythoughts Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not 100% sure why we've had them free anyway. Its a service you can choose to use or not and should have to pay for.

Otherwise its being subsidised by fees elsewhere.
  • 20SmthngSver
    Options
    I'm not 100% sure why we've had them free anyway. Its a service you can choose to use or not and should have to pay for.

If you use an ATM which is in your bank and so you hold you money with them, I don't see why you should have to pay. To be honest, I don't really see why if you bank with Santander if you use a Barclays ATM why you should be charged either.

You don't pay to pay cash in, cheques in, pay bills, etc yet you still use the services provided by the ATM. I get that independent cash machines, like a petrol stations, maybe there's a charge, and that's how the providers of those ATMs make their money.

Or just use the counter.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Or withdraw cash at the counter.

That assumes there is a bank available. As far as I'm aware most if not all charging ATMs are not part of bank networks. For instance, the Notemachine ATM at the supermarket closest to where my mum lives started to charge 2 months ago.
  • 20SmthngSver
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    That assumes there is a bank available. As far as I'm aware most if not all charging ATMs are not part of bank networks. For instance, the Notemachine ATM at the supermarket closest to where my mum lives started to charge 2 months ago.

I mean if you're in or walking past a branch. Or ask for cashback at the supermarket till.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I used to use Post Office Counters for cash withdrawals, but our nearest post offices are all more than half an hour's walk away. I am with an online bank so ATMs are reasonably important to me.

So far, our Co-op still has a free ATM, but if that ceases to be free I am going to have to plan better. Not sure if they do cashback over the counter as I have never needed to ask for it.

It is going to be tricky for thousands of people, particularly as many communities have neither a Post Office or a shop now, let alone a bank. I suppose those with a travelling bank which visits will have to be better organised than I can ever manage to be.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    edited 1 May 2019 at 4:09PM
    Options

Yeah, we have a culture of free retail banking in the UK. I'm not sure how this happened as lots of countries have fees for current accounts, including fees for processing cheques.

On the radio today someone was complaining that they were being charged to get their hard earned money, as if the bank should work for free. From a MSE perspective then its annoying being charged to use a cash machine and I would look for ways to escape paying those fees, even if it required more planning.

I probably only use a cash machine a maximum of half a dozen times a year when I'm in a town, so it's not hit me at all yet.
  • Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We are moving to being a largely cashless society. Which is fine with me, until you want to pay a tradesman!
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Zola. wrote: »
    We are moving to being a largely cashless society. Which is fine with me, until you want to pay a tradesman!

Portable wireless card machines can be obtained cheaply and easily these days. PayPal do them, and they accept all major cards including Amex.

Yeah it costs money but not much more than the charges you'd incur paying cash into a business bank account.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • stehouk
    stehouk Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cash..........really, even tradesmen take cards, i paid a locksmith he had a mobile card machine
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure