Barclaycard AP removal [successful]

1131415161719»

Comments

• happy_bunny_2
    happy_bunny_2 Posts: 4,488 Forumite
    Ok, I entered into a DMP last March and made low, token payments for many months, then increased the amount I could pay from December 2014. I have been on my DMP for only 12 months but Barclaycard is the only creditor who has not defaulted me, showing me as "AR" on Noddle.

Is there a way I can have this removed to reflect a default as I think perhaps they should have defaulted me back in March last year when I made no payment to them at all. I don't believe they have issued me with a default notice in the last 12 months, though I am positive they certainly threatened to. I won't finish paying my DMP until 2021 I believe so I'm not massively concerned at the moment. What I don't want is for the DMP to finish in March 2021 and then Barclaycard's AR marker hangs around like a bad smell for a further 6 years after that.

Any advice?

As per Matttye.

If you get no joy, after FOS, consider not paying again until they do default you.
    :beer:
  • dini_2
    dini_2 Posts: 193 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just wondering has anyone actually managed to have MBNA/Moorgate remove the AP markers. Most posts I have seen have been declines, and the FOS /ICO appeals have not made any difference.

All my defaults are off now. (Capital one and Argos/Hillsden backdated the default dates to where they should be) Im coming to the end of my DMP
    My approach to money has changed considerably. Life should be good.

But, MBNA never defaulted me. I wrote to them last year. They very kindly replied to me and said because I agreed to increase my payment back in 2008 (I didn't, Payplan did, and they wrote to me to let me know) its a true record, therefore the AP markers will remain.
    So instead of having a clear record next April when the DMP finishes, I will have another 6 years of AP markers visible.
    Sigh.
    Light Bulb Moment: Feb 2007
    Debt: £65560 ~~~~~~ Debt Free day 24th March 2016:T
  • happy_bunny_2
    happy_bunny_2 Posts: 4,488 Forumite
    dini wrote: »
    Just wondering has anyone actually managed to have MBNA/Moorgate remove the AP markers. Most posts I have seen have been declines, and the FOS /ICO appeals have not made any difference.

All my defaults are off now. (Capital one and Argos/Hillsden backdated the default dates to where they should be) Im coming to the end of my DMP
    My approach to money has changed considerably. Life should be good.

But, MBNA never defaulted me. I wrote to them last year. They very kindly replied to me and said because I agreed to increase my payment back in 2008 (I didn't, Payplan did, and they wrote to me to let me know) its a true record, therefore the AP markers will remain.
    So instead of having a clear record next April when the DMP finishes, I will have another 6 years of AP markers visible.
    Sigh.

How much were you paying on the MBNA account between the start of the DMP and 2008? What was the contracted payment?

When did your DMP start?
    :beer:
  • cmssbrie
    cmssbrie Posts: 35 Forumite
    I've had this thread bookmarked for what seems an eternity, and finally have managed to get Barclaycard to remove my AP marker / account from my credit files!

It was a long journey - I started off 2 years ago by asking Barclaycard to remove it and they flatly refused - even though the account was fully settled in 2012, and that it was unfair to keep the AP marker on my credit files until 2018. After getting nowhere with their executive office, I then complained to the FOS, and after around 12 months of seemingly nothing, both the adjudicator and actual ombudsman sided with Barclaycard.

2 months ago I decided to take my chances again with Barclaycard, writing to their customer services manager - as I had discovered a discrepancy with one of their letters that stated my Arrangement had expired in April 2012, even though they continued to report to the CRA's that I was on an AP until the account was fully settled in October 2012.

After sending 2 x letters to the CS manager, and receiving no response, I decided to write to David Chan who is their operations director - basically complaining that I had not had any kind of acknowledgement to my complaint.

Within a couple of hours of emailing him and attaching the letters I had sent, I received a response from their executive team saying they would look into my complaint - that was last Thursday. On Saturday morning, I received a letter in the post in response to one of my original letters - from their contact centre - as curt as you can imagine, and basically referring me to the FOS decision - even though I had specifically asked about the dates they had and were reporting to the CRA's - which wasnt part of my original complaint.

Absolutely fuming with the response, I decided to wait to see what the executive team would say - expecting a polite but 'go away, we aint budging' response. Low and behold, yesterday I received an email from them telling me:

1) They received both letters I sent and apologising that they did not respond to the first one
    2) Offering me £50 in compensation
    3) They would remove the entry from my credit files!

Although ecstatic with this outcome, one line in their email frustrated the hell out of me as it agreed with my initial argument when it all started 2 years ago:

...."we do agree that customers who go on to a repayment plan should not be in a worse position than those who do not pay and have a default recorded against them."...

Not sure if I just got lucky or they just wanted to shut me up completely - but it really is worth persisting - even if you think all avenues have been closed!
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Excellent news on your outcome OP! Thrilled to see your (persistence) has paid off. There is light at the end of the tunnel, regardless of what lenders say!
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • swampduck
    swampduck Posts: 962 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    swampduck wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swampduck viewpost.gif
    Success!!! Spoke to a guy in the Barclaycard Complaints department and he checked back and said I was defaulted in May 2009. Which means they have been reporting to the likes of Experian and Equifax incorrectly. He will check my files on Monday with the three main companies and correct them which means it should drop off next year :j
    But because of their mistake they would be giving me £50 for the mistake/inconvenience!! :j:j:j:j

Swampy

Well I've had the £50 compensation and on checking my credit files today the amendments have been made. So all is on track to drop off next June :T

Swampy

Well since this thread - this particular story has been rumbling on with the entry on my credit files jumping on and off like the proverbial Easter Bunny with different DRAs all having a go.
    But eventually I got the ombudsman involved and as a result Barclaycard have now credited my account with 500 pounds!!
    I've still long way to go with clearing down old debts but this result had me leaping around just like that bunny!! :D

Swampy :EasterBun
    Expect the worst, hope for the best, and take what comes!!:o
  • Ellieseleven
    Ellieseleven Posts: 2,118 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Brilliant! Great result Swampy;)

Ellie x
  • Hi can anyone help me, I've had an AR with my Barclay card for the last 10 months, I thought I was doing the right thing by making an arrangement. I've been n a position to pay it off in full 6 weeks ago. Can I get them to remove it?
  • GAZ$ wrote: »
    sent the below all accounts now deleted on Experian and Equifax

Formal Complaint

Re: Account No.s x3 accounts

Sir/Madam,

I refer to the above mentioned Barclaycard Accounts which is being reported on my credit reference files.

Barclaycard has been reporting arrangement to pay markers (APM / AR) on the above accounts since 03/2007 - over 7 years , which places me in a disadvantage compared to a debtor who has had an account defaulted .and therefore will continue to appear on my credit file until March 2020 It would appear that Barclaycard has used arrangement to pay markers in place of a default on the account, It is understood that the Information Commissioner's Office does not agree with this and states that this is Unfair practice.

The definition of a default
    9 A ‘default’ can be said to occur as soon as a borrower fails to meet the terms of their credit arrangement.

An ‘arrangement to pay’
    21 This involves a temporary, short-term (up to six months) arrangement where the lender agrees to accept reduced payments

I believe therefore it is against Information Commissioner's Office guide lines for this debts not to have been defaulted on or before 03/2007.

I ask therefore that you place a default date of 03/2007 with all 3 credit agencies for the above 3 accounts. This will bring it in line with my other debts that was all defaulted at same time on entering my DMP

These AP/AR markers are likely to cause considerable problems to me financially as the account should have been defaulted in 2007 and the default removed in 2013, this data will be displayed nearly 5/6 years longer than necessary.

I will continue to pay payments on these accounts until fully paid

I look forward to Barclaycard sending a prompt and proper reply.

Regards

I have just finished my DMP and I'm trying to clean up my credit record, when I noticed an AP on my file from Next. I was absolutely gutted to find out that this wouldn't be off my file until 2020. I emailed Gaz$'s sample letter, to Next and SUCCESS they have agreed to remove the AP!!

I'm absolutely ecstatic and I couldn't have done it with the help of this post.

Thank you so much Gaz$!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport