Bonds or WP Funds?

I am trying to decide on either bonds or Wealth Preservation style funds or IT’s for my overall portfolio. I am finding it difficult to make a decision so I thought I could ask for some views or comments as this may help me decide. At the moment I am considering these options:-

a) Vanguard Global Aggregate Bond UCITS ETF GBP Hedged Accumulation or the OEIC equivalent.
b) Strategic Bond Funds such as Artemis or Jupiter etc
c) Wealth Preservation fund or IT - Troy Trojan O or Personal Assets/Capital Gearing IT’s
d) a mix of b & c

I am looking at a 70/30 Equity/Bond allocation so if I went down the WP fund route I suppose I would have to increase the holding to 50/50 after taking into account the equities held with the WP fund? Will a Global Bond fund such as the Vanguard one hold up as well as an active WP fund or Strategic Bond Fund in a market downturn?

I am veering towards option d) a mix of a Strategic Bond and a WP fund but would be very interested in hearing other people’s thoughts/views. Thanks.

Comments

• Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 21,979 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Will a Global Bond fund such as the Vanguard one hold up as well as an active WP fund or Strategic Bond Fund in a market downturn?
    As with all investments no one can give you an answer to that question with any degree of certainty.
    There have been a few threads on the forum debating if bonds will play the same stabilising role in future that they traditionally have done.
    The argument is that they are overpriced and in any market downturn they could follow equities down.
    Others do not agree and to some extent it depends on what sort of bonds are being talked about.
    Some increased diversification into WP IT's ; Gold; property etc and decreasing bond % to some extent is probably a sensible middle view .
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It is worth writing wealth preservation in full rather than abbreviate to WP. WP funds is more commonly used as With-Profits funds rather than the uncommon use Wealth Preservation.

Bond funds are designed to be held as part of a wider portfolio of investments and not in isolation. The type of bond funds you would use would depend on your overall portfolio and what you are trying to achieve. Many portfolios would consider multiple bond types (gilts, index linked gilts, investment grade, global bond, high yield etc). Much in the same way you consider different equity regions/types.
    I am veering towards option d) a mix of a Strategic Bond and a WP fund but would be very interested in hearing other people’s thoughts/views. Thanks.

What are you trying to achieve? Defensive funds, like Trojan, often do well in negative periods but can go on to suffer losses in growth periods and lag so far behind that the benefit you may be looking for may not arrive.
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,603 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Sue58 wrote: »
    I am looking at a 70/30 Equity/Bond allocation so if I went down the WP fund route I suppose I would have to increase the holding to 50/50 after taking into account the equities held with the WP fund? Will a Global Bond fund such as the Vanguard one hold up as well as an active WP fund or Strategic Bond Fund in a market downturn?

Whilst I understand the logic of reducing your equities holding from 70:30 to 50:50 if holding a Wealth Preservation IT (which also holds some equities) in place of bonds, I think you also need to consider why you are holding a WP IT in the first place. Presumably you are choosing the WP IT as a replacement to bonds because you want diversification in your portfolio and to reduce volatility in the event of an equity market crash. If you believe a WP IT will achieve that goal better than bonds, because you think bonds are currently overpriced and unlikely to offer an effective reduction in portfolio volatility then maybe you should stick with your original 70:30 split. Presumably the 70% equity allocation is well diversified in global equities and is there for the growth element of your portfolio so it may not make sense to substantially reduce the amount if you still want to meet your original investment growth goals as you are unlikely to see significant growth from a WP IT.
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I am looking at a 70/30 Equity/Bond allocation so if I went down the WP fund route I suppose I would have to increase the holding to 50/50 after taking into account the equities held with the WP fund?
    I think I'm misunderstanding you, as I would have thought if you were replacing a bond fund(s) with a Wealth Preservation fund(s), you would be increasing the equities percentage in your portfolio?
    I've also thought of adding a WP fund/IT like Troy Trojan O and/or Capital Gearing IT to my portfolio for more diversification, but so far I've stuck with strategic bond funds like Jupiter Strategic Bond, because it's an Income portfolio and strategic bonds funds tend to pay more income than WP funds. However if you are not looking for income from natural yield, I think a mix of both strategic bond funds and WP funds/ITs would probably provide better overall diversification for the defensive part of your portfolio.
  • seacaitch
    seacaitch Posts: 272 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    SonOf wrote: »
    What are you trying to achieve?

The key question!

For any fund that someone's thinking of holding in order to perform a certain role they should really look through to the fund's underlying assets. How that fund performs in a given future scenario is determined by its asset allocation rather than by any aspirational label that investors or others might apply to the fund.

So for example, if there was to be an deflationary growth scare, a fund consisting of long duration high quality government bonds might perform well whereas a fund comprising equities, shorter duration index linked govvies and precious metals would not perform so well, even though that second fund might be expected to perform better (ie. not fall as much) as a third fund comprising all equities.

In contrast, in the face of unexpected inflation, the high quality longer duration conventional gov bond (first) fund above wouldn't fare so well and might fall significantly, whereas the second example fund above comprising equites, shorter duration linkers/TIPS and PMs could perform best, and better than an all equity fund, the latter which might fall more or fall less than the first (long duration) bond fund, depending.

And so on.

Figure out roughly what it is you're hoping to achieve and assemble a portfolio that has a shot at achieving it. If that portfolio includes some multi-asset funds, take a look at their underlying holdings so you've an idea of your overall asset allocation and therefore how that portfolio might respond to different economic scenarios, particularly major unexpected bumps in the road.

If that sounds too complex or unappealing then consider farming out the whole portfolio construction task to someone else by using a reputable multi-asset fund that's intended as an all-in-one portfolio and which your investigation and research suggests might be appropriate to your goals. If you do that, I'd still suggest taking a look at the fund's underlying asset allocation, rather than treating it as a black box, so you've an idea (be mentally prepared) for what might happen in a bunch of different future scenarios.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    WP funds are multi-asset funds that manage a portfolio of investments to protect your capital and hopefully also produce some growth too. You can develop your own asset allocation with a combination of cash, bonds and equities that can do something similar or even use regular multi-asset funds. Those won't use some of the financial strategies used in WP funds, but that might be a good thing.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!

My "bond" allocation is mainly Wealth Preservation funds with some Strategic Bonds. I trust the WP fund managers to do their job and avoid major falls as successfully as they did in the last 2 crashes. For that reason the equity component of the WP funds is irrelevent. In any case it will probably vary over time.

My Growth fund is 100% equity. There is no reason to dilute it since the risk is covered by the WP/SB funds. So taking your numbers I would simply go fo 30% WP/ SB and 70% equity.
  • Linton wrote: »
    My Growth fund is 100% equity. There is no reason to dilute it since the risk is covered by the WP/SB funds

How is this different from having a portfolio that is split proportionally between equity/WP/SB ?
    Retired 1st July 2021.
    This is not investment advice.
    Your money may go "down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... I got all tricked up and came up to this thing, lookin' so fire hot, a twenty out of ten..."
  • StellaN
    StellaN Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I thought it was Linton that had a mix of SB and WP funds in his WP portfolio. It’s obviously a personal choice but IMO not a bad way to go but you could just as easily settle for your preferred WP fund or IT. So at the end of the day it’s not a bad choice to go 50/50.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    How is this different from having a portfolio that is split proportionally between equity/WP/SB ?

It’s purely a matter of perspective. I’m like you and have a holistic perspective where I just maintain a certain asset allocation across all my investments. Other ways to look at things have chronologically based “buckets” of various assets or pots with various functions like wealth preservation or growth. I simply choose an asset allocation across everything according to the efficient frontier and the amount of risk I can take.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure