Sainsburys 100% increase in cost of carrier bags

Comments

203846930 Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    Sainsubrys have doubled the price of their carrier bags from 10p to 20p overnight.
    This is getting beyond a joke.

Making money from fools that don't take their own shopping bags with them is a GOOD thing, well done Sainsburys :T :T :T
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I remember years ago, in Germany, you just were not offered a bag when shopping. Everyone seemed to have cloth bags they carried around with them or baskets or trollies

I can't remember the last time I bought a plastic bag. We have had the bag tax here in NI longer then you in England, and our tax goes to the government, not a charity which is why I totally refuse to buy one, even if I have been caught out by not taking one with me

I also don't get the need for a bag for rubbish. Most of my rubbish goes into the recycling or compost bins and its no hardship to power hose the wheelie bin every few weeks if it gets smelly

The only single use plastic bags we get is if we go to the butchers or get a take away, and they get reused. Even our bread bags get reused, Mr S uses them to take his lunch to work. When they are worn out from that use, then they are used for wrapping messy waste for the bin
  • Bogof_Babe wrote: »
    Are they "bags for life"? If so you are supposed to be able to get a free replacement when it breaks or wears out.

No where markets them as "bags for life" anymore. They are just re-usable bags.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    When was that?

This extract from Tesco website refers to 'bags for life' and includes data up to April 2019:
    Funding local community projects across Britain

We encourage our customers to bring their own reusable bags to Tesco and in August 2017 we replaced single use carrier bags with new Bags for Life made from 94% recyclable plastic, to help reduce bag use. Customers can have their Bag for Life replaced for free if broken or damaged, in store.
    The money raised from the sale of the reusable Bag for Life is used to fund local projects across Britain. Projects range from improving community buildings and outdoor spaces, to new equipment, training coaches and volunteers, and hosting community events. Each time a customer shops they will be offered a blue token at the checkout and be able to vote for the project they want the money to go to. Every three months we hand out grants of up to £2,000, £1,000 and £500 in 575 regions across Britain.
    https://www.tescoplc.com/sustainability/communities/topics/community-grants/bags-of-help/

And this article also refers to 'bag for life':

https://www.about.sainsburys.co.uk/news/latest-news/2019/21112019-sainsburys-continues-measures-to-reduce-plastic-bags-for-life
    • Step change sees extension of trial which was introduced earlier this year in Wales
    • All profits from ‘Bag for Life’ sales will continue to go to good causes
    • Sainsbury’s is also assessing full range of ‘Bags for Life’, as it works with customers, colleagues and suppliers to reduce unnecessary plastic across the business
    • The trial is just one of the steps Sainsbury’s `is taking to reduce plastic by 50% by 2025
    A Sainsbury’s spokesperson said: “We have updated the price of our Bags for Life to encourage customers to re-use their bags. This is part of our ongoing commitment to help reduce the amount of plastic that’s used and we continue to donate the profits to good causes. We are trialling this across our store estate to test the customer response and welcome customer feedback.”

• Pollycat wrote: »
    When was that?

This extract from Tesco website refers to 'bags for life' and includes data up to April 2019:

https://www.tescoplc.com/sustainability/communities/topics/community-grants/bags-of-help/

And this article also refers to 'bag for life':

https://www.about.sainsburys.co.uk/news/latest-news/2019/21112019-sainsburys-continues-measures-to-reduce-plastic-bags-for-life

Tesco and Sainsburys maybe but they are the only 2 places. But what you quoted doesn't say that Sainsburys will replace them for free.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    edited 24 November 2019 at 12:24PM
    Tesco and Sainsburys maybe but they are the only 2 places. But what you quoted doesn't say that Sainsburys will replace them for free.
    So 2 of the largest retailers then.
    So this isn't actually true:
    As for Sainsbury's policy on 'bags for life' (as they refer to them), here it is:
    Instead, we offer reusable ‘bags for life’ charged at 5p or 10p. These are made of 100 per cent recycled content and are entirely recyclable. So, when they do wear down, we replace them for free, while recycling the old bag to be used again.
    https://www.about.sainsburys.co.uk/making-a-difference/our-values/our-stories/2017/bags-of-help-for-good-causes-and-the-planet

The earlier link I gave was to show that your statement about "no where markets them as "bags for life" was inaccurate.

FTR - I only looked at Tesco and Sainsbury's so there may be more than those 2 places.

ETA:
    Looks like Waitrose also refer to them as 'bags for life'
    Shopping at Waitrose branches
    and petrol filling stations

If you do not have your own bags, you will be offered a 'bag for life' option which costs 10p.
    https://www.waitrose.com/content/waitrose/en/home/inspiration/about_waitrose/the_waitrose_way/carrier-bag-charges.html
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Take your own, sorted.
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    As well as my heavy duty ones I have an Asda bag for life in my handbag, and it has patches of sellotape all over it from when the corners of packets have made holes. Am I taking "re-usable" too far? :rotfl:
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Pollycat wrote: »
    FTR - I only looked at Tesco and Sainsbury's so there may be more than those 2 places.

ETA:
    Looks like Waitrose also refer to them as 'bags for life'

And Asda :)
    http://asda-stores.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail_grow/a_id/1835/~/carrier-bags
    [FONT=&quot]We offer a range of Bags for Life in our stores - and if it wears out, we'll replace it.[/FONT]
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    Sainsubrys have doubled the price of their carrier bags from 10p to 20p overnight.
    This is getting beyond a joke.

50p would be better
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family