How to obtain credit reports

Comments

• wary
    wary Posts: 789 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Just tried to order my £2 Equifax report online ... only to discover to my horror that I'd just signed up for their Equifax Credit Watch™ Gold membership and been charged £69.99!!!

As far as I could tell, I clicked on the correct link. There was nothing along the way to say what I was signing up for or how much I'd be charged, and the T&C link was fairly generic for the various services they offer. I'm only told when I've clicked the final button.

I phoned straight away and they agreed to refund and order the correct report. Nevertheless, unless it was me being particularly thick, it strikes me that they hope that you'll inadvertently sign up for this, by purposely not making it particularly clear.
  • sfax
    sfax Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    wary wrote: »
    Just tried to order my £2 Equifax report online ... only to discover to my horror that I'd just signed up for their Equifax Credit Watch™ Gold membership and been charged £69.99!!!

As far as I could tell, I clicked on the correct link. There was nothing along the way to say what I was signing up for or how much I'd be charged, and the T&C link was fairly generic for the various services they offer. I'm only told when I've clicked the final button.

I phoned straight away and they agreed to refund and order the correct report. Nevertheless, unless it was me being particularly thick, it strikes me that they hope that you'll inadvertently sign up for this, by purposely not making it particularly clear.

Google Experian and there is a link on the first page to £2 statutory report: http://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/statutory-report.html

Then choose the option on the left labelled £2 statutory report. It seems pretty clear to me unless you're saying that link signs you up for a subscription
  • wary
    sfax wrote: »
    Google Experian and there is a link on the first page to £2 statutory report: http://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/statutory-report.html

Then choose the option on the left labelled £2 statutory report. It seems pretty clear to me unless you're saying that link signs you up for a subscription

Thanks for the link. Agree that this seems pretty clear, but it was Equifax, not Experian, to which I signed up. There were various £2-report links, and I think I chose one where you can view the report online. It took me through various registration screens but at no point did it mention what I was signing up for or how much I'd have to pay.

As a footnote to this, although she agreed to refund, my account shows she has withheld £5.83 ... no mention of this on the phone. So I had to phone their 0844 number again and after being put on hold multiple times, she agreed to refund this too, although it isn't showing on my transaction history so I don't know whether she has done.
  • sfax
    wary wrote: »
    Thanks for the link. Agree that this seems pretty clear, but it was Equifax, not Experian, to which I signed up. There were various £2-report links, and I think I chose one where you can view the report online. It took me through various registration screens but at no point did it mention what I was signing up for or how much I'd have to pay.

As a footnote to this, although she agreed to refund, my account shows she has withheld £5.83 ... no mention of this on the phone. So I had to phone their 0844 number again and after being put on hold multiple times, she agreed to refund this too, although it isn't showing on my transaction history so I don't know whether she has done.

My bad, I was looking at Experian, sorry. The Google approach works for Equifax too - there is a "2 statutory report" link that takes you here: http://www.equifax.co.uk/Products/credit/statutory-report.html

If following that link ends up signing you up for a sub, then that is misleading. Not sure if that's the case or not

They're not a good company to deal with on the phone. I have a £3 monthly (discounted) subscription with them at the moment. Email only - never call unless absolutely necesssary
  • wary
    sfax wrote: »
    My bad, I was looking at Experian, sorry. The Google approach works for Equifax too - there is a "2 statutory report" link that takes you here: http://www.equifax.co.uk/Products/credit/statutory-report.html

If following that link ends up signing you up for a sub, then that is misleading. Not sure if that's the case or not

They're not a good company to deal with on the phone. I have a £3 monthly (discounted) subscription with them at the moment. Email only - never call unless absolutely necesssary

Thanks for the advice. I did go to that link although not totally sure what I did after that - I think I clicked the second link down to get the report online.

Just been looking online at they get a lot of stick, primarily for the way that they screw money from you. I've e-mailed their customer services as although they've cancelled my membership, they may well have signed me up for their free trial instead!
  • Hi all,

I recently received my £2 Experian report, stating my 2 previous addresses (6 years worth). Will all data be shown as I believe some may be missing in relation to where I lived around 8 years ago. Could this be the case?
  • sfax
    Romanzach wrote: »
    Hi all,

I recently received my £2 Experian report, stating my 2 previous addresses (6 years worth). Will all data be shown as I believe some may be missing in relation to where I lived around 8 years ago. Could this be the case?

The account history only goes back 6 years. Some closed accounts will disappear only 2 years or so after they were settled
  • I got such a nice information.I really appreciate with this.Thanks for sharing.
  • sfax
    :spam: reported
  • I have recently been rejected for a cash back credit card and so obtained a credit report. Ive realised I have been inputting the wrong amount of time at my current address and so it doesn't coincide with the electoral roll. Will the fact the details on my credit report are incorrect effect my score? and also should i re-apply for the previous card in light of this error? Thanks for the advice!
    :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport