Budget - tougher for DLA claimants

Comments

• daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 June 2010 at 12:42PM
    Aputsiaq wrote: »
    Oh, so when someone disabled visits my property and breaks something beloning to me, I can claim a replacement?
    Or is it only the people who claim the money who can claim a replacement?
    ok...so my disabled child breaks my £500 vase....DLA is to pay for that is it?

No, you need to claim on your house insurance for that.

I have two separate disabilities which cause damage and my DLA helps to help pay for that

My first disability is called incontinence and there are extra costs in laundering and purchasing additional and replacement clothes. Should I go around wet and smelly or naked instead?

My second disability is called muscle weakness and it results in my dropping things. Perhaps I shouldn't have been allowed to replace those either?

And, if you're caring for someone, how do you feed them if they've broken all the plates and glasses?
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • ash4becks
    ash4becks Posts: 589 Forumite
    As a teacher for many years I know perfectly well what I'm talking about. You are obviously using the terms in a totally different way from that which is used in the educational world. Having a scribe in exams is not the same thing at all.

having that support makes a big difference, iam able to consintrate and take information in rather than having to scrable down notes and taking in barely anything , and btw i want to teach aswell

as for a teacher that just makes it worse your arrogant and see people as below yourself i bet you one of 'them' teachers that didnt see my problems placed me in bottom set when things should have been very differnet indeed with help and infact belive that dyslexia doesnt exist
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think SH is referring to the fact that you said some kids grow out of autism which isn't true as it's a lifelong disability.

Yes. This is what I meant.
    No, not all children will have Autism for life.

Do you have anything to back up this twaddle you're spouting? I don't know anyone with autism who has "grown out" of it.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    ash4becks wrote: »
    having that support makes a big difference, iam able to consintrate and take information in rather than having to scrable down notes and taking in barely anything , and btw i want to teach aswell

as for a teacher that just makes it worse your arrogant and see people as below yourself i bet you one of 'them' teachers that didnt see my problems placed me in bottom set when things should have been very differnet indeed with help and infact belive that dyslexia doesnt exist

Amongst other things I taught Literacy and Numeracy for years, so I certainly know what a "reading age of 10 " means and spent several years teaching adults and young children who were in exactly that situation.

I would get rid of that chip on your shoulder before going into teaching if I were you.
  • summerof0763
    summerof0763 Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Amongst other things I taught Literacy and Numeracy for years, so I certainly know what a "reading age of 10 " means and spent several years teaching adults and young children who were in exactly that situation.

I would get rid of that chip on your shoulder before going into teaching if I were you.
    belive your the kind of teacher that was referred to as a "dragon"
    absolutley no compassion for others,and yes met plenty of them,no understanding of anyone with any disabilities
    i came into the world with nothing,and guess what? i still have it!!!:p
  • 24skins
    24skins Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    edited 27 June 2010 at 3:34PM
    The few posters who have suggested that DLA could be used better by Social Services might be interested in SS's care assessment and subsequent service provision. We're one of the 'lucky' families who qualified for an assessment, due to the severity of my son's disabilities.

My son's assessment in 2004 concluded that he had the maximum care needs, required 24 hour care and we should receive a minimum of 10 hours a week home help for him, in the past five years I've actually had - 2 years of four hours per week home help, 2 years of zero outside care and 1 year of 6 hours a fortnight respite (6 hours every second Sunday), in other words, he's never had his assessed respite needs met. In the past five years I've seen his allocated social worker once and I've left urgent messages on her answering machine that she's taken 5 weeks to respond to, apparently her case load is so large she can't manage ongoing contact with a family.

The idea that all DLA claimants are swanning about living a life of luxury is nonsensical, my son gets HRM and we don't use it for a car as, even with my working, we couldn't afford the petrol after handing nearly £200 a month over to Motability.

ETA: and I'm astounded that there's someone on here who doesn't understand the term 'invisible disability' to the point that they think ASD is something that people grow out of. Some people adapt, but they remain autistic for life.
    Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
  • Aputsiaq wrote: »
    No, not all children will have Autism for life.
    :eek:

Oh yes they do :mad:. Taken from a leaflet I was given by National Autistic Society ''Autism is a life long disability''.
    I'd sell my soul to the devil if my son could lead a normal life and 'grow' out of his autism.
  • vision2009
    vision2009 Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The government certainly know how to torture those who suffer mental health problems. The proposals constitute mental abuse. Do they not realise what they are about to do will cause a deterioration in peoples mental state? The NHS will then have extra added costs in dealing with the outcome of their actions.
    I know, i've been there.:(
  • peediedj
    peediedj Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Aputsiaq wrote: »
    The amount of children that have sprung up with Aspergers, Austism, ADHD, etc etc who all have parents claiming DLA is shocking. (What will happen when the new information from America blasting these conditions happens, goodness knows)
    A household who claims for a child, for instance, could be getting £700/£800 extra a month now. Nice little earner for some and its absolutely not surprising why so many feign illness....for themselves or their children.
    The need to do something to stop DLA claiming spiralling out of control, and hopefully the new medicals that all claimants will have to have will either discourage or catch out some malingerers.
    Alternatively, they need to alter the criteria to toughen it up or lower the amounts
    hope my son isnt being tarred with above brush? he has autism,but also has 5 other disabilites,so we dont "rely" on just autism for his dla
    Live in my shoes for a week,then tell me your lifes hard!
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    belive your the kind of teacher that was referred to as a "dragon"
    absolutley no compassion for others,and yes met plenty of them,no understanding of anyone with any disabilities

You are joking I hope? You don't get very far teaching Literacy and Numeracy to either adults or teenagers if you're a dragon lady.

You seem to also ignore the fact that I'm married to someone with a disability, and my father was also registered disabled. Take your ignorant assumptions elsewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure