Booked a flight with Hainan, first leg is with Hong Kong Airlines and they might go under soon...

Options
I booked a return flight with Hainan Airlines and the first leg is operated by Hong Kong Airlines with the second operated by Hainan. If Hong Kong Airlines goes under, are Hainan expected to provide me with an alternative flight to make up for the first leg?

Comments

• Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I suspect the law of China applies, and regrettably, I doubt many of us are too familiar with it. HKA has until Saturday to prove financial fitness, Hainan is not in a healthy position itself but there are suggestions that there may be an investor prepared to invest. Things are so bad they have turned off the in-flight entertainment to save the costs of licencing payable for showing films. If they fail I suspect you may have to rebook and claim under s75 of the Consumer Credit Act, assuming you used a UK issued credit card
  • nk8
    nk8 Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The thing is the flight was booked via Hainan and the first leg is from Hong Kong to Beijing which is a major hub for Hainan, before onward travel back home to UK. If Hong Kong Airlines goes bust in the next few days, I know it'll be difficult to claim if I was purely flying a flight with Hong Kong Airlines, however because this is through Hainan and only the smaller leg is operated by HKA, are Hainan expected to provide alternative arrangements since they're not the ones going bust (yet).
  • Alan_Bowen
    Options
    You might expect that they would, but I would be checking out alternative flights on the assumption that they won't. I would anticipate there should be plenty of seats on flights out of HK, indeed the lack of demand is at last partially the reason HK Airlines is in such a mess
  • Alan_Bowen
    Options
    HK Airlines have reported this morning that investment has been forthcoming and the details provided to the licencing authority, so providing this statement is true, you should be fine
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,209 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Alan_Bowen wrote: »
    You might expect that they would, but I would be checking out alternative flights on the assumption that they won't. I would anticipate there should be plenty of seats on flights out of HK, indeed the lack of demand is at last partially the reason HK Airlines is in such a mess

I flew into HKG around midday on 14th November and I've never seen the airport so quiet.

I flew to Cambodia mid afternoon 21st November on HK Express and the flight was 75% full. Return flight to HKG on 25th was almost full and airport much busier.

Absence of Chinese tourists is noticeable, and hotel rates are lowest I've ever seen so if OP has to make alternative flight arrangements, at least it will be cheap.
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Any chance of a review of Hainan Airlines after the flight.

I've read that the flight is good etc.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • nk8
    nk8 Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Problem solved, HK Airlines will keep their licence for now.

HN flights are very good, their 787 and 333 business classes all have lie flat beds and excellent helpful service. It's the airports which sometimes cause the problems, sometimes it's obvious when someone's doing a job just to create jobs...
  • kattie89
    kattie89 Posts: 15 Forumite
    edited 9 December 2019 at 1:33PM
    Options
    Well, it can really annoy anyone with its uncertainty. Fortunately, I know for sure what website for business class flights I should choose before I'm gonna order this or that ticket. No matter what exact destination you're gonna fly, it will give your detailed information about any point on the planet and everything about your flight. Also, as I know, it suggests bonuses time to time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure