Hotels.com - charged for cancelled hotel

Interested to know if anyone else has had this experience and how it got resolved.

I booked a pay-later stay at a Hilton hotel via hotels.com, but cancelled the room within the free cancellation period. Last week I was charged by the hotel for a no-show fee.

Hotels.com confirm that I successfully cancelled the room, but state that this is a matter between me and the hotel and won't help me to get a refund. So a few questions/comments:

• Why did Hilton have my credit card details when I had only supplied them to hotels.com?
  • Isn't my transaction with hotels.com and not Hilton?
  • What obligation does hotels.com have to take ownership of this cancellation?

Any advice?

Comments

• The reason the hotel has your card details is explained in the T&Cs which I would hope you read before booking. You pay the hotel and your contract is with the hotel.

"If you select the "pay later/pay at property" option, the property will charge you in the local currency of the relevant property at the time of your stay. Where the "pay later/pay at property" option has been selected, the property makes the service available to you directly. For these transactions, you will enter into a contract with the property and we will act solely as an intermediary between you and the property (but not as a payment intermediary), transmitting the details of your reservation to the relevant property and sending you a confirmation email for and on behalf of the property. If you select the "pay later/pay at property" option and you do not show up or cancel the booking, the property may impose a no-show or cancellation fee (the detail of any fee will be notified to you as part of the booking process). In this event, either the property or Hotels.com or another member of the Hotels.com Companies will charge the property’s no-show or cancellation fee in the property’s local currency."

https://uk.hotels.com/customer_care/terms_conditions.html
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,351
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    what were the cancellation terms

what do the hilton say
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills