Royal mail item lost my item sent

Comments

• ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 October 2019 at 7:41AM
    sorry wrong post
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • hubb
    hubb Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    molerat wrote: »
    The only proof you have is that you sent it to the wrong address, any Paypal / Ebay case is lost. Luckily this not a very expensive lesson.

But the website tracking number shows it was delivered so that is the proof. Buyer still says it hasn't turned up and no response from Royal Mail via their lost item procedure. I have proof that the tracking number of the parcel was delivered but the buyer says not. Also the buyer seems a bit unconventional as she leaves it for a week and then gets back to me, being rather laid back about it all. I do wonder if the buyer got the parcel from the address the postman possibly delivered by mistake and is still acting as if it was never found.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,195 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 October 2019 at 9:54AM
    hubb wrote: »
    But the website tracking number shows it was delivered so that is the proof. Buyer still says it hasn't turned up and no response from Royal Mail via their lost item procedure. I have proof that the tracking number of the parcel was delivered but the buyer says not. Also the buyer seems a bit unconventional as she leaves it for a week and then gets back to me, being rather laid back about it all. I do wonder if the buyer got the parcel from the address the postman possibly delivered by mistake and is still acting as if it was never found.

If buyer requests that ebay confirms the actual address shown on the post code- and this does not match then buyer will win. I have actually had a buyer request that of ebay- they requested that ebay check the actual address on proof of postage - at that time I was using the PO so uploaded a scan of my till receipt clearly showing house number- and at that time buyer suddenly realised they had mistakenly put the wrong house number into paypal (they said they have moved and mistakenly put their old house number and new postcode) - and I won the case.

This was a while ago but I assume that buyers can still request this as otherwise sellers could send anywhere within the correct delivery office area and still win a case- which would be nonsense.As a buyer I don't want to ever lose a case merely because seller or shop can show that something was delivered in my local area- I want proof it was delivered to my stated address.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin wrote: »
    otherwise sellers could send anywhere within the correct delivery office area and still win a case- which would be nonsense.As a buyer I don't want to ever lose a case merely because seller or shop can show that something was delivered in my local area- I want proof it was delivered to my stated address.

The odds of a seller uploading a tracking number before the ETA that delivers to the right area at the right time is pretty slim.

eBay state:

Information required to prove a successful on-time delivery is all of the following:

Tracking number uploaded to the site by the seller before the estimated delivery date;
    A delivery status of "delivered" (or equivalent in the country to which the item was delivered);
    The date of delivery;
    The recipient's address, showing at least the city/county or postcode (or international equivalent) that matches the one found on the 'Order details' page; and
    Signature confirmation, if an item has a total cost of £750 or more.

The OP has placed a burden upon themselves by mentioning the COP error as they presumably correctly addressed the parcel.

The majority of non receipt claims are false and uploading the parcel ref when you post the order cuts a lot of this out.

OP your choice is to refund them or to upload the tracking to the case and see what eBay do.

The other option is do nothing and the buyer will ask eBay to step in which is the same as option 2 above really, although if you don't add the tracking you'll lose for certain.
  • soolin
    edited 28 October 2019 at 12:17PM
    your quote states
    Information required to prove a successful on-time delivery is all of the following:

which is for the late defect and not for the buyer guarantee.

However, if the same applies to the guarantee then that's a real worry as it means no buyer can be guaranteed their stuff as long as the delivery company leave it with someone within the right delivery area. I certainly would not be happy to be told that I had no cover as someone somewhere within my delivery area (and I live in London so the area is highly populated) has my parcel.

Also for anyone living in places of known scammers, and Bournemouth springs to mind due to the temporary student address issue that used to be rife, could easily be scammed.

If my item didn't arrive I would be onto ebay insisting they showed delivery to my address as given on ebay/paypal and not just within a large metropolitan delivery area.

Also if buyer opened a paypal INR then they would win as the address would need to match as they don't mention delivery area at all.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    As per the ebay buyer guarantee:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee?id=4210

If asked to step in and help, we review the information provided by the buyer and seller for evidence of successful on-time delivery to the buyer's address (as displayed on the 'Order details' page), or proof of collection by the buyer.

so not covered with just showing delivery to the general area.

I assume buyers, like mine , though would have to ask ebay to delve further as most basic tracking just shows an area.

EDIT: Interestingly, note the bit about the proof of collection- does that mean collection from a delivery office or could it perhaps mean ebay are addressing the paypal on collection scam?
  • hareng
    hareng Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    As said above send in the tracking info your covered for a win.
    Have personally seen posty pull up from 150 yards away, make no attempt to knock door and go next door. Yet parcel says delivered and signed for! Has happened a few times from one posty, bottom line RM will side with their staff you have to prove otherwise.
  • soolin
    hareng wrote: »
    As said above send in the tracking info your covered for a win.
    Have personally seen posty pull up from 150 yards away, make no attempt to knock door and go next door. Yet parcel says delivered and signed for! Has happened a few times from one posty, bottom line RM will side with their staff you have to prove otherwise.

The situation here though is that if buyer requests ebay to check POP details then it will show the wrong address, and seller loses seller protection. It's a slim chance as few buyers even know they can do it, but it is still a chance.
  • soolin wrote: »
    your quote states

which is for the late defect and not for the buyer guarantee.

That's incorrect, my quote was directly from the Money Back Guarantee page, it only needs to show the area which is why the word or is used.

If eBay required more than the area then tracking from Royal Mail wouldn't cover any seller without them manually uploading proof of dispatch.

That's not to suggest eBay might not ask the seller for more information (or more likely just cover the refund for a regular buyer on a relatively low value item) if the buyer appealed.

soolin wrote: »

If asked to step in and help, we review the information provided by the buyer and seller for evidence of successful on-time delivery to the buyer's address (as displayed on the 'Order details' page), or proof of collection by the buyer.

What I quoted is what eBay are looking for regarding successful delivery.

Regarding London the Royal Mail Track and Trace shows the delivery office so for example if you live in Tooting and it shows as delivered from the Wood Green office eBay wouldn't side with the seller.
  • soolin
    edited 28 October 2019 at 2:50PM
    That's incorrect, my quote was directly from the Money Back Guarantee page, it only needs to show the area which is why the word or is used.

If eBay required more than the area then tracking from Royal Mail wouldn't cover any seller without them manually uploading proof of dispatch.

That's not to suggest eBay might not ask the seller for more information (or more likely just cover the refund for a regular buyer on a relatively low value item) if the buyer appealed.

What I quoted is what eBay are looking for regarding successful delivery.

Regarding London the Royal Mail Track and Trace shows the delivery office so for example if you live in Tooting and it shows as delivered from the Wood Green office eBay wouldn't side with the seller.

Then as usual ebay have different policies in different places. My quote was also from the buyer guarantee and states the address is needed as per the order details on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee?id=4210

If an area is all thats needed then there is a very obvious scam possible- I hesitated to post it but it seems so obvious that I'm sure it won't give anyone ideas. Sell an expensive item up to £750 and work out which delivery area it is in (easily done) then send it to a drop box or locker within that area- go and collect it (or even leave an empty box there) and your tracking shows item was successfully delivered from the right delivery office and buyer can't claw their money back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure