Paypal have blocked my husband and I and won't tell us why!?

Options

Comments

• Wisk
    Options
    I did return to the thread! As one of you has noted - it's been a few years since I had to ask a forum question but I've always thought the MSE community was a smart one.
    I spoke to PayPal, as did my husband, via their genuine contact number so the message isn't spam (I am aware that dodgy links are sent on email so was wary of accepting the contents on face value).
    I might try the Facebook link. I was hoping for some more practical advice but I'm not going to let it drop.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have either you or your husband had any sort of activity on your account recently that could have upset PayPal? Disputes, refunds, anything?

I think you'll struggle to get your account reinstated. PayPal have a reputation for doing things like this and they're quite stubborn in their decisions. They're a private company, they have no obligation to do business with you. Ultimately if they don't want you as a customer there's little you can do about it.
  • hpuse
    hpuse Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 October 2019 at 1:27PM
    Options
    Just note a few points, which might help in future.

As far a paypal is concerned:
    • Each individual accounts and account holders (personals) are unique, stand-alone entities.
    • They have various fraud monitoring policies in place for payment/transcations, which they will not discuss/disclose to customers.
    • If a person uses the same creditcard numbers (or linked credit card accounts) in multiple Paypal accounts, their internal monitoring mechanisms may flag this up as potential fraud (I suspect this is what may have happened in your husbands case, (resulting in suspension) and hence they will refuse to discuss this any further with you)
    The option for you/your husband is to close both your paypal accounts & wait for 6 months and open another with a different payment card.

Hope this helps!

Wisk wrote: »
    I did return to the thread! As one of you has noted - it's been a few years since I had to ask a forum question but I've always thought the MSE community was a smart one.
    I spoke to PayPal, as did my husband, via their genuine contact number so the message isn't spam (I am aware that dodgy links are sent on email so was wary of accepting the contents on face value).
    I might try the Facebook link. I was hoping for some more practical advice but I'm not going to let it drop.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Options
    hpuse wrote: »
    Just note a few points, which might help in future.

As far a paypal is concerned:
    • Each individual accounts and account holders (personals) are unique, stand-alone entities.
    • They have various fraud monitoring policies in place for payment/transcations, which they will not discuss/disclose to customers.
    • If a person uses the same creditcard numbers (or linked credit card accounts) in multiple Paypal accounts, their internal monitoring mechanisms may flag this up as potential fraud (I suspect this is what may have happened in your husbands case, (resulting in suspension) and hence they will refuse to discuss this any further with you)
    The option for you/your husband is to close both your paypal accounts & wait for 6 months and open another with a different payment card.

Hope this helps!

But what about the addresses?
  • KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »

Addresses arent normally a problem, there are 2 at my house and even more when I lived with my parents, at least 3.

However, if one of the accounts at that address is doing some dodgy dealings (or Paypal thinks so) and Paypal gets rid of them, then yes they can also tie in those with the same address, as lets be honest, if I got my paypal blocked chances are Id ask to use my brothers/partners account and send them the money etc. Its a risk Paypal wont take.
  • hollydays
    Options
    Addresses arent normally a problem, there are 2 at my house and even more when I lived with my parents, at least 3.

However, if one of the accounts at that address is doing some dodgy dealings (or Paypal thinks so) and Paypal gets rid of them, then yes they can also tie in those with the same address, as lets be honest, if I got my paypal blocked chances are Id ask to use my brothers/partners account and send them the money etc. Its a risk Paypal wont take.

Yes, that's the point I was hinting at, as that's the ops problem..
  • KatrinaWaves
    Options
    Yes, that's the point I was hinting at, as that's the ops problem..

Ah, major whoosh on my part, sorry.
  • hpuse
    hpuse Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I think you meant the billing address of the payment card(s) linked to paypal?. Unless there is a suspicious/dubious series of paypal transaction activity of various card with different 'names' (and I thought that was OP's original problem) linked to the address, paypal shouldn't bother blocking the other persons account?

For e.g lot of students sharing the same address (or within rooms/flats) of the same door number operates multiple paypal accounts.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Paypal banned me at 24 years old for being underage. They decided that because I'd opened the account almost a decade prior when I shouldn't have, that banning me at 24 made sense. Delayed punishment at it's finest...
    I just opened a new account with a different email, not sure if that is an option because of the surname thing.
  • hollydays
    Options
    hpuse wrote: »
    I think you meant the billing address of the payment card(s) linked to paypal?. Unless there is a suspicious/dubious series of paypal transaction activity of various card with different 'names' (and I thought that was OP's original problem) linked to the address, paypal shouldn't bother blocking the other persons account?

For e.g lot of students sharing the same address (or within rooms/flats) of the same door number operates multiple paypal accounts.
    ??????????????????????????????????
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport