Anyone doing a dry January 2020? - join me!

Comments

• coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Pretty inconsiderate if the OHs continue to offer drinks despite knowing you are doing DJ :eek:
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    stripeyfox wrote: »
    I guess it is a lot harder if only one of you is doing dry January. I'm lucky that both my wife and I are doing it because if she wasn't, and she offered me a drink, I'd cave straight away!

I think this time I'm ready to do it on my own. Too many times I used his temptations as an excuse not to stop or take a break. Sort of, it's his fault I still drink and smoke as he does it and leads me astray. Which is obviously not the case. I still make the decision to do it. But I hope that my example will encourage him too to cut down in general.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • thriftylass
    stripeyfox wrote: »
    I always use work as an excuse, particuarly with some of the cretins I work with, but actually a few days off the booze as sharpened my focus at work and dare I say, I'm even a bit more tolerant and patient with people at work!

That's me with the kids!!
  • That's me with the kids!!

yeah, me too! I think I've been better with them too, it feels like I have my evenings back rather than just opening the beer or wine as soon as I get home. I think the kids have noticed it too.
  • Mrs_Z
    Mrs_Z Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Good to hear people are starting to notice benefits! For myself, I can't say that I feel anything different BUT it does look as though my weight seems to be heading downwards (-0.5kg since the New Year), but it could be fluctuation... we'll see.
    First real test will be on Friday.... as OH will no doubt offer me a drink... and I intend to say YES...but it'll be ice, lime & tonic. It did the trick last time around and totally fooled my brain.
    On Saturday we're having friends around, luckily they are not big drinkers, so not expecting an issue there...in fact on that day OH might be in a minority by being the thirsty one!

@Thriftylass - re: stopping the smoking - what worked for me was that first I gave up smoking during the week (Mon-Thu), then gradually reduced the weekend smoking into social smoking only, and after few years stopped that too. I was never a heavy smoker (10 a day) but I could not bear the thought of stopping and never having a cigarette again. Hence limiting it to the weekends worked fine. I made sure that on Sundays I didn't have any cigarettes left as I noticed that it was easier to give up to temptation during the week if I had some left in the pack vs walking over to the newsagent to buy them!
  • thriftylass
    edited 9 January 2020 at 3:29PM
    Mrs_Z wrote: »
    Good to hear people are starting to notice benefits! For myself, I can't say that I feel anything different BUT it does look as though my weight seems to be heading downwards (-0.5kg since the New Year), but it could be fluctuation... we'll see.
    First real test will be on Friday.... as OH will no doubt offer me a drink... and I intend to say YES...but it'll be ice, lime & tonic. It did the trick last time around and totally fooled my brain.
    On Saturday we're having friends around, luckily they are not big drinkers, so not expecting an issue there...in fact on that day OH might be in a minority by being the thirsty one!

@Thriftylass - re: stopping the smoking - what worked for me was that first I gave up smoking during the week (Mon-Thu), then gradually reduced the weekend smoking into social smoking only, and after few years stopped that too. I was never a heavy smoker (10 a day) but I could not bear the thought of stopping and never having a cigarette again. Hence limiting it to the weekends worked fine. I made sure that on Sundays I didn't have any cigarettes left as I noticed that it was easier to give up to temptation during the week if I had some left in the pack vs walking over to the newsagent to buy them!

I asked OH if he wanted any drinks in the grocery delivery on Friday as I wasn't sure if he's joining me and he said no :T. So this weekend should be easy. But then he mentioned a friend's birthday next weekend. That will be my test but I hope being sober etc for 3 weeks by then will keep me on the straight and narrow.

That's me also 8 days off the cigarettes. Nearly failed last night, though. The kids were annoying, the kittens were trashing the house, daily drag of chores kicked in and just felt meh. Rolled one, nipped outside, lit it and stubbed it out after one revolting drag. And just took a couple of gulps of fresh air instead :T. Just couldn't ruin 8 days progress for being in a bad mood. So calmed down, removed the most precious items from the living room to be out of reach of the kittens and sat down to read a book. Pheww.

Here's to another day

EDIT: Went for a run today at lunch time and I think it definitely went better than expected for the first run in months because of the changes recently. There is my motivation restored.
  • AceT
    AceT Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I always do it and feel good for doing it and often make a donation on how much I've saved. I may and stretch it out longer this year.
  • thriftylass
    edited 9 January 2020 at 10:39PM
    Mrs_Z wrote: »
    Is anyone else out there doing attempting a dry January this year? I'd like to go for it but have not found anyone in my circle of friends to join. Everyone says - yes, we'll support you (but you're on your own) as far as any of them joining me goes. Why is this? Is it really so hard to go one month without any alcohol?

Was listening to a podcast and heard an interesting quote: People that smoke or take drugs have a problem, people that don't are seen as normal. However, people that drink are seen as normal, but people that stop must have a problem. Strange difference in view that persists, but true in my experience.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,682 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I am feeling virtuous.
    Have just turned down a newly opened bottle of wine that was surplus to requirements and would be tipped down the sink otherwise.
    Did seem a bit of a waste though.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Well done. Very tempted to buy a bottle of red last night but managed to resist. Hot blackcurrant squash is the way forward now ..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure