Diamond Resorts-is it a scam?

Options

Comments

• antilles
    antilles Posts: 363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just received one of these letters myself - luxury 2 day break for £59, or £89 at the weekend. Was considering going along but really can't be bothered with the selling.

Think I'll go on Late Rooms and get myself a reduced hotel instead!
  • Xendar
    Xendar Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    My parents-in-law have bought a package with Diamond Resorts (formerly Suntera). Basically you pay x amount of money and get x amount of points to spend each yaer on accomodation in places used by Diamond Resorts. Personally I don't think it's worth it for my folks in law as they don't always get the chance to use all their points. And it did cost them a lot of money. I think if you've got the time you can make it work for you but I would have thought for most it just isn't worth it.

The accomodation is good though I've stayed in resorts in the UK, Span and Menorca and I've always been happy with it.

The other thing to point out is that there is also a yearly maintainence fee on top of what you've already paid originally.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • lesley1960
    Options
    Tbh we used a timeshare for a while , it worked well for us because we have 4 children and its hard to find anywhere big enough in a package holiday ( well this was some years ago ). I think you really need to be on the ball and know how to use the system , I do know some people find timeshare works very well for them ..........However it isnt a cheap holiday , after you factor in the cost of buying , the annual maintenance and exchange fees , depending on what type of holiday you want it can work out expensive , on the plus side you do get some very nice accomodation.
  • godric
    Options
    We have been members of Diamond Resorts and its predecessor organisations for 10 years and have not had a problem with them. I would agree that it is not the cheapest way to take a holiday, though when limited to school holidays it is very competitive. However having suffered at the hands of the package holiday industry, particularly on our honeymoon, they do offer a guarunteed standard of accomodation and facilities. Also the customer service on resorts is of a high standard that most holiday reps do not achieve.

Before anyone suggests that I work for Diamond Resorts, let me put them straight I do not. Myself and my wife are ordinary working people who don't necessarily want the cheapest, but we do expect value for money.
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    Options
    Quote. though when limited to school holidays it is very competitive...........The trouble being the flights are 3 times the price during the school holidays......so you lose both ways.....avoid like the plague....
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • geoffky
    geoffky Posts: 6,835 Forumite
    Options
    amazing how they always show up with one or two post...get out of here...you insult my intelligence
    It is nice to see the value of your house going up'' Why ?
    Unless you are planning to sell up and not live anywhere, I can;t see the advantage.
    If you are planning to upsize the new house will cost more.
    If you are planning to downsize your new house will cost more than it should
    If you are trying to buy your first house its almost impossible.
  • Tasape
    Tasape Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Diamond resorts Purchased a company called sunterra europe who owned quite a number of european timeshares (i have one in tenerife)
    Diamond resorts are Vegas based and are Very big in the time share world

As said in previous threads on here there will be a 90 or so min sales pitch to you but this will be based on Diamond points enabeling you to rent any of their resorts (SUBJECT TO A ROOM BEING AVAILABLE ON THE DATES YOU WANT) I own my time share as it suits me ,but be aware timeshare availability in School Holidays periods is very difficult to get /book in Europe
    Most owners use their weeks ,and those that are allready on the points system have booked at least 1 year in advance.
    Also bear in mind the Credit crunch Grandads and grandmas that own in these resorts will in all probability letting the family use then rather than "banking them in 2009"
  • Den1se
    Den1se Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    We have recently attended one of these at Pine Lakes Resort - We had a lakeside lodge for 4 of us in school holidays for £69. Anyway we went to the presentation - knowing what to expect (as we had done this previously a few years ago). I have to say the presentation was NOT hard sell - but they offered us something like a trial membership + 1 weeks free holiday in Europe for £1250. We have just booked the free week for the Whit school holidays & we now have enough points to book another 2 weeks holiday (if we choose school hols) or we can book last minute for 1/2 points or even have weekend breaks in the UK. There is a live on-line site so you can see availability immediatley. We often book our flight & accomodation seperatley so we are used to the excessive school holiday flights - but we would easily have spent £1250 on just 1 holiday. We do not have to take full membership after the trial - we can just walk away. I wouldn't rule out these presentations as you can use them to your advantage if you play the system.
    Virgin CC [strike]£6133[/strike] :D - gone!!!!
    A&L Loan [strike]£2000[/strike] :D - gone!!
    Car loan £4000 - 20 months left :(
    :idea: Lightbulb moment Feb 2007
    PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT
  • Andy_in_Leeds
    Options
    We recently attended a 90 minute presentation in Wakefield. I believe that this is part of a National promotion where you could win £30,000 or a BMW, but you do get 2 out of 5 'prizes'. The hard sell didn't last more than 20 minutes when none of the 3 couples would commit themselves to immediately puirchasing a 10,000 point sampler for £1595. Yes, in theory it couild be a good deal, but you would have to box very cleverly to get five week stays out of it, and then in studi apartments.
    I asked whether we could take the brochure away and think about it, but it was a take it or leave it on the spot. situation. Given that it was approcaching 9pm on a weekday evening, none of the staff wanted to hang about either. Perhaps if they'd let us think about it over a ferw days, we might have weighed it all up, and found it worthwhile.
    As for the 'prizes' everybody got 4 free nights at a Diamond resort with £150 towards your plane ticket for a £50 admin fee. We might be able to use this, particularly if we use a US resort - then all we have to do is avoid the invitation for a further presentation - which would be the hard sell.
    The two for one cruise might be more difficult - because we are not crusing people - it has to be done through a website - the reduction is on brochure price, and nobody nowadays pays the brochure price - and the promotion does not include flights, so you have to pay them yourself. At present is seems unlikely that this part will be used. There was another incentive on the night - if you buy the sampler - the four free nights is upgraded to 7, with the promise of £250 for the flights.
    The tone of the evening was - we want to reward you for giving up your time. No doubt they read these posts as well - so it will be interesting to see whether we actually do get rewarded for our time.
    Two more things. There was no talk of maintenence fees - which might be round the corner when you do buy full membership, and these are notorious for rising exponentially. Secondly, these points expire in 2054, whereas that is not the case in the US, where it is said maintenance fees are far lower.
    Buying points might suit you, especially if you are flexible on dates and locations, but school holidays could end up hard to come up with availability.
    But if you have a strong resolve, try an evening presentation - cos they can't keep you in all night - leave your money at home - and don't sign anything.
    If I find that one or both of these prizes are good value, then I will post another comment later.
  • neil.bowen
    Options
    I was daft enough to buy a time share (points system) around 6 years ago
    Whilst the places are very good, you try and get one where or when you want it.
    My time share company was taken over by Sunterra and then by Diamond Resorts.

How do I get out of this agreement? The points are worthless and no one will buy them. Even Diamond resorts wont buy them back so that should tell you something about the value.
    I am now hurting with this credit crunch and cant afford to make the maintainence payments Ive told Diamond resorts that I want out and that they can have my points for free. They dont want to know.
    They have totally ignored my requests and just sent me a bill for the maintainence for next year.

Does anyone know how to terminate this agreement legally?
    Neil
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport