PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Care Home Top Up Fees

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Also she has £10k so that’s 10 months worth of money.
    Can’t the house be sold in that time?

I am selling my MILs flat. We were lucky as we got asking price before it went on the market (EA already had a buyer lined up).
    Have you spoken to estates agents.
    If no family can make a loan (and it’s safe as houses) then make the price attractive to sell.
    Auction is an option but with 10 months I’d try a discounted price.
  • Hi

I can answer your question as we have just done this.

Under a DPA the council will pay the ENTIRE cost of the care home. They will invoice you once a month for your Mothers contribution.
    This will be ALL of her state pension, any private pensions, and Attendance Allowance ( which she is entitled to). However, you can elect to keep back a certain amount to cover any property related expenditure (buildings insurance, mortgage, repairs, gardener, etc - we keep back £400 per month for these expenses in Mums case)
    The entire difference between the monthly home fees and your Mums contribution will accrue under the DPA and will be repaid when the property is sold.

You do not have to make ANY top up contribution.

Also, should you wish to do so, you can look to rent out your Mums property to assist with the home fees and reduce the amount totting up under the DPA.

Also, as your Mum is in care, council tax on the property will be suspended from the point she went into care.

Hope this helps
    20 plus years as a mortgage adviser for Halifax (have now retired), and I have pretty much seen it all....:D
  • Also she has £10k so that’s 10 months worth of money.

£10k will last 10 WEEKS not Months.......
    20 plus years as a mortgage adviser for Halifax (have now retired), and I have pretty much seen it all....:D
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    martin1959 wrote: »

No it is months in this case. It’s not straightforward as the numbers are similar which is where i suspect you’ve confused. the weekly fee is £1050 but if the council pay £800 then there’s a shortfall of £1000 every 4 weeks.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,734 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    She does get a state pension. She was getting Disability Allowance but that seemed to have stopped which are now trying to sort out. She was getting nursing care allowance but since we moved her this was stopped as its a residential care home.

If she was getting nursing care allowance that means she was assessed at some point to have nursing needs. If she's now in a residential rather than a home that can offer nursing care, are those needs still able to be met? If a residential home can meet her needs, that would indicate that the nursing element no longer required which is why it will have stopped.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Lloyd90
    Lloyd90 Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    lisyloo wrote: »

I am selling my MILs flat. We were lucky as we got asking price before it went on the market (EA already had a buyer lined up).
    Have you spoken to estates agents.
    If no family can make a loan (and it’s safe as houses) then make the price attractive to sell.
    Auction is an option but with 10 months I’d try a discounted price.

It doesn't work like that. The council start paying when your funds fall below £23,250, but you will be assessed and need to pay a contribution. So out of that £10,000 they should pay a contribution but not the full amount.

To the OP: Don't be mad and take out a loan, £1000 a month is £12,000 per year and your MIL could live for god knows how many years.

Why do you want to keep the house, it sounds like the best solution without putting yourself into a very deep hole is to sell the house.

I'm actually surprised the council hasn't already taken the home into account and wonder why they are paying the £800 already? You need to give a much clearer picture of what is going on if you want a good answer re your options.

I work in the hospital and arrange placements for many people every week so hopefully can advise.
  • martin1959
    martin1959 Posts: 363 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 December 2018 at 11:37PM
    In order to receive Continuing Healthcare payment, or nursing element, the home where the lady resides, I understand, has to have a qualified nurse available 24 hours a day.
    If not it is classed as a residential home and CH or nursing element would not be payable.

I also cannot understand why the council are paying £800 per week as the amount most councils will contribute is maximum of around £500 per week, and that includes the residents pensions.

If the resident is paying for the care herself under a DPA, she could choose to be in a care home charging £2 k per week if she wanted, unless the council concluded that the value of the house would be eroded too quickly. However, her age, health, and life expectancy would have a bearing on this.
  • lisyloo
    edited 19 December 2018 at 9:04AM
    martin1959 wrote: »

The shortfall in post number 1 is £1000 per month. I am referring to the shortfall/top up not the entire fee.

I would not recommend renting the place out.
    If a tenant doesn’t move out then evicting them is a slow process (my landlord friends tell me courts are at least a 4 month wait in our area).
    They may not help with viewings in fact it’s not reasonable to expect them to live in a museum.
    The rent is relatively small compared to the fees.
    Simply not worth it IMO as it could cost you a sale.

Also the person in the nursing home cannot do the physical parts of being a landlord even if they were capable of the admin, so you would need someone to do those.
  • martin1959 wrote: »
    Hi

I can answer your question as we have just done this.

Under a DPA the council will pay the ENTIRE cost of the care home. They will invoice you once a month for your Mothers contribution.
    This will be ALL of her state pension, any private pensions, and Attendance Allowance ( which she is entitled to). However, you can elect to keep back a certain amount to cover any property related expenditure (buildings insurance, mortgage, repairs, gardener, etc - we keep back £400 per month for these expenses in Mums case)
    The entire difference between the monthly home fees and your Mums contribution will accrue under the DPA and will be repaid when the property is sold.

You do not have to make ANY top up contribution.

Also, should you wish to do so, you can look to rent out your Mums property to assist with the home fees and reduce the amount totting up under the DPA.

Also, as your Mum is in care, council tax on the property will be suspended from the point she went into care.

Hope this helps

Thanks for all the replies. Her funds to be exact are £8500, but she still has a property which is currently up for sale. We still need to pay the odd bill the property plus any upkeep. We don't want to get in the position where she is completely broke.
    The shortfall is about £250 every week, which the council will NOT pay.
    We just need the financial help until her property has been sold.
    What about a bridging loan, would anyone recommend this?
  • lisyloo
    edited 19 December 2018 at 6:06PM
    bridging loans are very expensive.
    How long has the property been on the market?
    When did it go on the market? (just asking for time of year).
    Have you discussed with EA what you can do to get a quicker sale? (odds-on the answer is going to be drop the price).

Our buyer was very keen to buy our flat.
    She dropped the price of her house £20K on the advice of the EA and got a sale very quickly.

Ask your EA how much you need to drop the price to get a quick sale, then you could compare with the costs of a loan or going to auction.
    Have you considered putting the property up for auction?

Can none of her family look at increasing their mortgages?

That would be a much cheaper loan and they could look to secure a charge on her property so it's literally safe as houses.

If you are dropping the price I'd talk to the LA.
    If she runs out of money she may need to be LA funded one day so you wouldn't (well I wouldn't) want to be accused of making bad decisions.

BTW - I completely sympathise with your situation.
    We visisted many homes and some were dreadful.
    We also had a big fight with LA as they wanted to split up MIL and FIL who'd been married 60 years. He was largely bed bound and her wheelchair bound, so they wouldn't have seen each other very much if they'd been in seperate homes.
    We won but a big factor was that FIL was in hospital bed blocking and I understand LAs can be fined for that so they had a financial motivation to resolve it.
    As it happened he only spent 11 days in the home before he died but they were peaceful days with MIL instead of noisy, disturbed days in hospital.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure