999 calls not recorded in Android phone Call History

Comments

• AFAIK, Android does record emergency calls in the log by default.

My current LG G6 certainly does, as did the HTC M8 I had previously.

Some phone manufacturers may have disabled this in their phone app, but by no means all.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I wonder if using an alternative dialler/call log app might work?

For example:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.softrelay.calllog&hl=en_GB

(picked at random)
    Stompa
  • demonted
    demonted Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 December 2018 at 2:57PM
    gollum007 wrote: »
    AFAIK, Android does record emergency calls in the log by default.

My current LG G6 certainly does, as did the HTC M8 I had previously.

Some phone manufacturers may have disabled this in their phone app, but by no means all.

It's my current Android Phones manufacturer, Motorola, who said it's a standard feature of the Android OS, claiming that should someone access the phones Call History, the outbound Emergency Call is hidden to ensure the safety of the phones owner.

To clarify, when I say "record the call" I mean, to make a record of the Time and Date of the call within the phones Call History; not an audible recording of the voice call.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    This has been known for years. Though I do find it odd that there is not an option to turn on logging. Not logging is there for very good reasons though. I guess if the option was there then a controlling abusive parterner could enable it themselves without the phone owner knowing.

You can get around it by installing a third party dialer. Which come by default on many android phones anyway! I belive samsung's dialer for one logs them.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I’ve just (very quickly) checked dialling 999 on my OnePlus 3T and it logged the call in the call history.
    ====
  • demonted
    demonted Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    d123 wrote: »
    I’ve just (very quickly) checked dialling 999 on my OnePlus 3T and it logged the call in the call history.
    It appears Motorola have lied to me.

Motorola responded by email and clearly stated it was a feature of the Android OS and for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

My Moto G5 doesn't log 999 call details within its Call History.

We shouldn't have to find a work around for basic features we've become accustomed to; having to install yet another app, which will request permission to share our data and user habits, otherwise the app wont operated.

My work around will be a new iPhone; either a iPhone 8 or something smaller; certainly not an Android phone.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sooner the better.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    demonted wrote: »
    It appears Motorola have lied to me.

Since Lenovo took them over that is pretty much par for the course.
  • nick74
    nick74 Posts: 829 Forumite
    I think Motorola are telling the truth. Not logging emergency calls is a known feature of Android. However many manufacturers of Android phones choose to install their own custom dialler apps which ignore this feature and log emergency calls anyway. Motorola is one of the few who don't.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    This is an Android issue.

Yes. As I suggested, your non-Android phones have a hack to detect emergency calls and add them to the call log. By the sounds of it, Android phones don't.
    None of my previous non Android phones were ever hacked to log 999 calls within the phones Call History, it was just a feature of the phones; my iPhone hasn't been hacked or jailbroke either.

A hack is a "quick and dirty" piece of code to implement features not originally intended by design. The design of mobile networks means that emergency calls bypass the SIM. Thus a hack is required to implement emergency call logging.
    My Network Provider has confirmed that the most recent 999 calls made last week (via the Android phone) do appear on my phone bill.

Whichever network handled the emergency call will obviously know about the call time and duration. If you had a SIM active, a roaming network will be able to pass the call information onto your home network, so the call appears on your "bill".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure