Secret Santa - don’t want to do it!

Comments

• Joannas
    Joannas Posts: 20 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for the replies. As for hating my job and needing to find a new one :eek: I go to work to earn and have too many responsibilities to leave a job because of cliques. I thought I’d begrundgingly do it because I didn’t want to be a party pooper but hearing people openly deriding those they’re sat with and not in a “oh, they’re hard to buy for I wish I didn’t get them” but in a nasty way is not something I’ve come across before. I wish they’d just get rid of it :beer:
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    At a secret santa at my place a few years ago, the most unpopular person was bought an empty box...
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • Joannas
    That’s so mean, pimento :( several people moaned about their choices so it’s not going to be just me, just shocked people would take something that they call a “bit of fun” and not be up for the challenging ones.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Joannas wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. As for hating my job and needing to find a new one :eek: I go to work to earn and have too many responsibilities to leave a job because of cliques. I thought I’d begrundgingly do it because I didn’t want to be a party pooper but hearing people openly deriding those they’re sat with and not in a “oh, they’re hard to buy for I wish I didn’t get them” but in a nasty way is not something I’ve come across before. I wish they’d just get rid of it :beer:
    They don't need to get rid of it.
    You just have to opt out.

I've been retired for 15 years but we used to do Secret Santa.
    You could put a note on saying what you really didn't want.
    I said I didn't want make-up.
    I was bought a palette of cheap eye-shadows.
    It went to the charity shop before Christmas.

My personal opinion is that Secret Santa is just a waste of money.
  • Joannas
    Well they clearly do where I work, it’s meant to be fun not a chore and if it’s a chore just choose something else. I would have opted out if it was via email or a note but I was asked in front of everyone.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Best bit of secret santa ? Pulling your own name out of the hat ... and not saying anything
  • Joannas wrote: »

I was suggesting you look for another job, not quitting before finding one.
  • I personally would challenge them so the next time someone moans ask why they do it when clearly its unpopular.

Secondly as you've said you go to work to earn money despite the cliques I'd say opt out, you have the balls to work where the people aren't nice so just tell them its not for you.
  • Joannas
    Good idea, BBH! Thank you. I’m not bothered about getting an empty box or rubbish gift, if I do it I’ll buy something thoughtful and for the amount set. I just thought the commotion after was lousy and unbecoming for the season.

I didn’t say you suggested quitting, pedalling? But I’m not going to look for a new job because of office politics (I did start this thread by saying it was a third world problem). Thanks all the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure