Why I no longer travel by train

Comments

• zaax wrote: »
    The carriages on the Norwich line are older than me, and I'm 56

No they're not.

Aside from on the Isle of Wight or on preserved lines, there are no carriages that old in use anywhere in Britain.
  • It's not difficult to see why folk just give up with the all-round hassle & disappointment that goes along with travel by train, more often than not... I bought my discount card and now use the train for my commute. With discount, it's the same price as the fuel I'd use if I drove. However, there is rarely a day goes by when one or both of the trains aren't late, sometimes so late that they don't stop at certain stations, in order to make up time, I spose... which in my view is taking the mick. Fortunately I pack a Brompton so it's not really an issue, but how less mobile travellers fair when they do this, I do not know.
    On the other hand, me & my chums often use the train to go out for our week-end trips to the country-side and most of the time (when they haven't withdrawn the service entirely so they can fix the creaking infrastructure...), we have a great time out, specially with a group travel discount, for which I don't think you need a rail card... :-) so it's not entirely gloom and doom.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    No they're not.

Aside from on the Isle of Wight or on preserved lines, there are no carriages that old in use anywhere in Britain.

The train I commute to work on was built 30 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Anglia_(train_operating_company)#Rolling_stock

You'll see that they do have some rolling stock that is over 40 years old.

They feel older.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • pimento wrote: »
    The train I commute to work on was built 30 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Anglia_(train_operating_company)#Rolling_stock

You'll see that they do have some rolling stock that is over 40 years old.

They feel older.

They do, but still way short of the 56 years the previous poster mentioned. The mk2 carriages they have are late model ones built in the early 70s but as the wiki page states there are only 3 of them and they only see limited use on one relatively lightly used line.
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The mk2 carriages they have are late model ones built in the early 70s but as the wiki page states there are only 3 of them and they only see limited use on one relatively lightly used line.

Ironic that much newer trains have already been scrapped and/or exported.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    I'd love to know the age of the Northern Rail trains knocking about Crewe, Sandbach, Manchester, Cheshire etc..... Some of them are in dire need of repairs and modernisation.

They're always late. They seem to have regular cancellations due to mechanical issues. They're the only trains I use where the smell of urine appears to be impregnated into the actual cushions. Awful. The toilets are often broken, vandalised or severely damaged (but not out of order). Many of the doors don't work properly. They are absolutely shocking when compared to London Midland. I would even take East Midland trains over Northern.

I rarely take Northern, but when I do, it's never fun. Trains are awful in this country, but Northern are up there with the worst.
  • Greater Anglia new trains coming soon.
    https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/about-us/news-desk/news-articles/new-trains-test-greater-anglia
    Looking forward to seeing these on my local line in the next few months.

Seriously - I love travelling by train. No worries about traffic jams, car parking, road works etc.
    I can sit back and enjoy the scenery and wildlife.
    Back on the trains again!

• Stoke wrote: »
    I rarely take Northern, but when I do, it's never fun. Trains are awful in this country, but Northern are up there with the worst.

That's Northern. Corporate slogan: It's grim on Northern.

Give Northern a fleet of shiny new trains to play with and it would be like Fred Flintstone driving a Bentley.

Trenau Wales have some pretty dated Sprinters tootling around but they manage to keep them running and the wifi working.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Stoke wrote: »

Is this inevitable? What would you change in the way trains are managed and operated in Britain? Are there any other European countries where you've been impressed with the rail system?
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Northern in particular are poor although hopefully it's going to improve in the next couple of years once they get rid of all the Pacers and the 37 hauled services. The Pacers were meant to be a short term stopgap and as much as I like the class 37's, they are a long way past their prime and not suitable for mainline commuter services.

Northern are getting of the Scotrail Turbostars and we're getting short formed HST's so we'll see how that goes. I'd be more inclined to take the train if it was an HST rather than a turbostar but the fact it's such a huge premium to take a much less convenient service isn't appealing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure