Long-distance move with an anxious cat

Options
pinkteapot
pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
edited 11 December 2018 at 4:23PM in Pets & pet care
Update in post #18

We are considering a long-distance relocation. Approx 300 miles and 6 hours by car including wee stops (for us, not kitty!). One of the things making me hesitate is thinking 'how do we move our beloved kitty?' :eek:

Has anyone done it and what were the logistics?

I think I've read before that vets can give them a mild sedative for the journey, so hopefully he could snooze in his box (he's usually terrified in it though - shakes like a leaf and sheds loads of fur :( ). So, the drive itself I feel like we can get round.

Ideas:
  • Put him in cattery at current home couple of days before move. Get moved, Come back for him.
  • Drive him to cattery near new home few days before move, pick him up few days after move.
  • Similar thing with a cattery in the middle - few hours from either end?!
  • Probably too stressful - keep him at home until moving day and drive him up with us, either putting him in a cattery while we unpack, or shutting him in a room while we do.

He is SUCH an anxious cat that only the first three seem viable. He gets very stressed by any hubbub at home - lots of visitors, work being done, etc. We already have Feliway in the home (have done for a couple of years).

I'm pre-emptively upset at how much the whole thing will traumatise him, and if he were an older cat we'd stay put for a few more years for his sake, but he's only a youngster.

Comments

• NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I moved my then two cats about 100 Miles (2 hours) a few years back. They weren't used to catteries so I went for the "least worst" option which was to take them with me in the car on the day.

The way I reasoned it was that I'd have to transport them sooner or later and it would be less stressful for them (and me) to get it over and done with in one day. They were a bit wary the day before when everything was packed and I shut them in the bathroom when I got here (fortunately have a downstairs loo so no inconvenience (!) for me or the removal men). When they came out they were like all other cats in a new home but soon settled.

I made the mistake of feeding them before leaving and number two cat did throw up in his box half way. Just had to stick that out till we got here. He did cry a bit so you might want the stereo on!

I can't comment on sedatives as I wouldn't be overkeen myself.

I did, also, drive my ex when she moved a distance more like that you are undertaking (she had 2/3 cats at the time) and that went fine. Cats slept most of the journey
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thank you. I've been over it too much in my head and needed this sort of anecdote to tell me it's not as hard as I've built it up to be. :)

Last time we moved, which was before we got kitty, we paid the removal company to pack for us. It was brilliant - we lived in normality instead of surrounded by boxes until the day before the move, when they swarmed the place and packed everything in half a day. We'd do that again just because it removes so much stress, but it might also mean that avoiding cattery is an option. Stuff won't start moving in the house until the last minute.

I will remember the tip re food!
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 September 2018 at 12:16PM
    Options
    When my mum had to go live with family when she was at the end of her battle with cancer we moved them from Inverness to Nottingham by train

We got a sediative from the vet made them a little sleepy but they were still a bit vocal lol Didnt suffer any ill effects and settled straight back in.

We did London to inverness with 2 kittens no medication and they were fine. Also did London to Birmingham a couple of times too. We had a tray with us and we let them out of their boxes on harnesses whenever we stopped and then just threw the litter away they didnt mind a bit. Did this on several occasions when they were too tiny to leave at home on their own. One of them now loves going in the car.

Have you used a cattery near you before? Just thinking if you have might be less stressful for him to stay with someone he at least knows then make the journey once you are settled
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    edited 5 September 2018 at 12:04PM
    Options
    pinkteapot wrote: »
    Thank you. I've been over it too much in my head and needed this sort of anecdote to tell me it's not as hard as I've built it up to be. :)

Last time we moved, which was before we got kitty, we paid the removal company to pack for us. It was brilliant - we lived in normality instead of surrounded by boxes until the day before the move, when they swarmed the place and packed everything in half a day. We'd do that again just because it removes so much stress, but it might also mean that avoiding cattery is an option. Stuff won't start moving in the house until the last minute.

I will remember the tip re food!

That's exactly what I did re paying the removal company to pack the day before. I would always do that. Cats were a bit bemused but nothing more.

I've had cats for too many years to count. What I have come to realise is that there is a lot of noise, grumpiness, showing off but, in the end, they are okay. We stress more than them, I suspect.

I'd always go for doing it on the day, if I am honest.

ETA.

I wouldn't use a cattery unless, as Faith177 says, your cat knows it. My current moggie, who is very much into the one person one cat relationship, had to go into the vets for a day for a dental. He was a monster who turned out to be a real handful for the nurses. He was very scared.

No idea what he'd be like for a few days in a cattery!
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I'd avoid the cattery options if you can,as he is anxious, being in a cattery with strange people and other cats would probably be more stressful than being shut in a room with lots of strangers in the house.

Ahead of the move, talk to your vet about whether any sedatives might be helpful and consider getting a feliway diffuser .

If he normally has access to the outside then spend a few weeks running up to the move getting him used to using a litter tray.

For the journey, don't feed him in the morning (unless you know for sure he doesn't get carsick) Most cats are incredibly good at holding it in and tend not to like to use the litter tray unless they feel safe, so you may well be able to leave him in the carrier for the full journey. If you don't think that will be the case, consider putting a harness on him when he goes into the carrier, you can then clip a lead to it before you open any of the car doors, if you are stopping to offer him a comfort break, and you reduce the risk of losing him.
    Also, take bin bags, spare newspaper, wetwipes etc so that it he does have an accident you can clean it up easily!

Having a light cloth over the carrier so he can't see out may make him feel safer during the trip

Before you go, put towels /small blankets into all his favourite places so that by the time you move you have 5 or 6 which smell of him and feel safe.

When you arrive at the new house, shut him in a room until you have unpacked. A bathroom, where you can put a litter tray, food and water and a box with one of his homely blankets in is good.

Once you are unpacked and the removal men have left, move him into a room where you can close the door. Make sure that he has food, water and litter tray, and try to ensure that there are things he can hide in/under , and ways for him to getup high if he feels safer like that. Put the blankets that smell of him in that room in places he is likely to sit (if it is a spare bedroom, consider making up the bed with your 'dirty' bedding, rather than washing it, so it smells familiar to him.

Depending on how he seems, let him get used to the new house at his own pace. Spend time in the room he is in, just sitting reading / working / whatever, so you are there but not trying to touch him, then open the door and let him come out and explore the rest of the hosue at his own pace.

Use the feliway diffuser and if he likes catnip, get one of the sprays and use that, too.

We had a cat when I was younger who spent about a month under a bed every time we moved. She didn't eat at all for about 3 days each time (she was the same on the very rare occasions she had to go to a cattery) and then went through a period when she would come out long enough to eat and pee, but that was all.

However, by the time we'd been in the new house for a couple of months she would be settled.
    (by contrast, my last cat, who was very nervy, was totally unfazed by travel. He would cry when we first set off, but after 15 minutes or so would stop, and go to sleep, and was totally fine with new places. He came with me to the homes of various friends and family members with no problem at all. I would always take him in his carrier to whichever room I was going to be sleeping in, put my bag and something like a worn t-short on the bed, then open the carrier. He would have a look round, 'note' that this was 'my' space and be fine. (I'd then normally go and set up litter tray and food, and show him where those were)
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • NineDeuce
    Options
    Tell him to put up with it. You will have done enough favours for him by now...
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I moved our dog 500 miles, including a ferry trip

Bach rescue remedy in his water for the days leading up to and on the day, he was a calm as anything
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Options
    I'd avoid the catteries options, it's just adding a layer of stress he doesn't need.

When we move I'll be in the back of the car with our cat in her box, well starved in advance. She's perfectly capable of peeing and pooing on a visit to the vets half a mile away, never mind the 100 miles we'll be moving.

Several people have mentioned harnesses. Only do this if you're absolutely convinced he can't get out of the harness. I tried a harness on a previous cat, he just backed straight out of it.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The Ex and I moved four cats 400 miles to Scotland. We got sedatives from the vet, which we gave about an hour before the journey, when they started to take effect, the cats were easy to get into their individual carriers. They then just slept through the entire journey, beginning to wake as we waited on the pier for the passenger ferry, and then woke up in their new home. They weren't bothered at all, familiar furniture, familiar smells, ooh look - food :D
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • tizerbelle
    tizerbelle Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Over a decade ago now I had 3 cats to move over 100 miles with a small car and the knowledge that no matter how I prepared one of them would produce an obnoxious smelling poop pretty much as soon as I hit the motorway and there was no way on god's earth I was driving 100 odd motorway miles with my head out the side window!

So I booked a pet-taxi/transport service. Can't remember who I used or how much it cost (although I presume it was a reasonable price as I wouldn't have gone for it in the first place) The van was specially kitted out to keep the cats in their crates secure and them comfortable. This is the sort of company I mean. I have no experience of this company.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure