PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Roasting advice.

Options
Long time lurker but new poster.

I have ordered a 2kg beef forerib joint for our Christmas lunch this year, I have never cooked one of these before.

Does anyone have any fool-proof hints for me? Tips on a great gravy? Should I put it on a trivet type thing?

Thanks in advance.

Daisy.

Comments

• Working_Mum
    Options
    I have never heard of it before but found this online for you:-

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/videos/techniques/how-roast-and-carve-rib-beef

Make sure you have a sharp knife for carving.

I make gravy from simply moving the pan from the oven and putting it on the hob and using the meat juices as a starter for a gravy by adding boiling water and stock cubes. I thicken it up with gravy browning or cornflour and add a dash of red wine! No two gravies are ever the same in our house.

During the roasting I always put our roast potatoes/parsnips around the meat to roast (saves on washing up!).

Keep the left over gravy and you can freeze it to make a starter stock for future roasts! Or keep it and use it to start a stew (using left over beef).

You can easily cook once and eat a few times from a beef roast!

My kids love Bubble and Squeak (served with a fried egg) made form all of the left over veggies.

Good luck and try to enjoy the process!
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    edited 19 December 2018 at 8:50PM
    Options
    first method, Sous vide, then grill/bake/fry/bbq it for a few mins to make it look cooked. Vacuumed or dip freezer bag in water to exclude the air are ok. Posh Restaurant results with little work, and fool proof.

Second choice is low and slow. Put it in the oven at about 120c (a little lower than this if you oven can get lower), with a bowl of water and let it cook and keep pouring marinade over it every 15 mins

Another second choice is slow cooker.

- unsure which is the better second choice?

Buy some Natural Hickory Smoke from Amazon or ebay

For BBQ, smoke, then reverse sear - unless you have an expensive bbq which does both.

All on youtube - treat your foodie friends. :)

if you are just sticking it in an oven, at least get a £7 quick read digital thermometer probe, to poke half way into the thickest part so you do not over cook it, dry it out and making it taster like shoe leather
  • downshifted
    Options
    Found this, which is what I do. The resting is very important, at least 20 mins https://www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/roast-guide/roast-beef.html
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,501 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 20 December 2018 at 3:12AM
    Options
    Have one every year. Good hot blast for first half hour to crisp, then medium for however big the joint is, so gas 7, then Gas 4. I usually get fairly hefty piece, three ribs minimum. Cooked on a bed of rough large chopped onion, celery [or a bit of lovage] and carrot for the gravy later on, euther made the old fashioned way with flour, with added veg water and maybe a bit of Knorr stock pot, a veg one or a beef one, or mixed with some Bisto best beef low salt powder. I'm going to try whizzing the veg into the gravy this year not straining them out.

I like mine fairly pink so it usually goes in for about two hours total, then rested while the veg and roasties cook, any juices go back in the gravy. If the veg takes longer it goes in the top oven to keep warm with the heat of the oven underneath.

If there's any left over I make polpetti with it, dellicious.

|Happy cooking!
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    edited 20 December 2018 at 8:39AM
    Options
    There are lots of recipes on-line, including James Martin, Delia Smith, Nigella Lawson, Mary Berry & Jamie Oliver.

Sophie Grigson suggests a cooking time of 1 hour 40 minutes for a 3.5kg piece:

https://goodfood.uktv.co.uk/recipe/roast-rib-of-beef-with-creamy-horseradish-sauce/
  • ~_Daisy_~
    Options
    Thank you all for suggestions.

This is a new to me joint of meat, so prehaps I should of done a dummy run with one before now!

I think I will follow a Jamie recipe as I generally have good results with his.

Daisy.
  • ~_Daisy_~
    Options
    Working Mum.

I have just watched the carving link, I will show this to Hubby as thats his job!
  • jfdi
    jfdi Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In 36 years of my own kitchens, the only decent beef joints I’ve ever cooked are following Jamie’s recipe!
    Good luck!
    :mad: :j:D:beer::eek::A:p:rotfl::cool::):(:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family