PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :o I'm already planning the 'campaign' at the homestead to maximise the use of my time and to minimise stress and decison-fatigue to the mothership. Looking forward to keeping you updated.

Was given a small gift yesterday of a mug containing some Christmas choccies. The mug will discreetly be chazzered after Xmas and the choccies are being given to someone who will eat them, as I no longer do so. All on the hush-hush, no need to cause offence by mentioning it. It was a duty-gift not a friend-gift IYSWIM.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    That's kind, GQ.

I'm reduced to tidying, not kondoing. It will lead to kondoing, I think, but right now I don't have my head in the game enough to make decisions :rotfl:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 December 2018 at 4:46PM
    I spent an hour doing paperwork, looking for my exit contract. Did not find it, but then thought I probably hadn't received it yet. The two people that have to sign for the company were travelling, and may do so for some time.

I threw out about 5cm of paper, and filed some paper in the correct binder.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Sorry about the guinea pig.:(
  • Hi Everyone. New to this thread and I must admit that I haven't read anything but the first post. I wanted to pop in and say Hi.

I looooove decluttering. Growing up with a hoarder parent I only really started my own values about 'stuff' when I moved into my own home 5 years ago.

I am shocked the amount I had accumulated that just lived in boxes. It's a continual process but one I am grateful for as I constantly evaluate what comes into my home and therefore what I actually spend my money on.

So excited for her Netflix documentary to come out in the new year! :T

There's also one on called consumed which is good and looks a lot in to our relationships with 'stuff'.

Do any of you look into minimalism? I would not quite call myself a minimalist but they have a lot of good thoughts, values and ideas, especially 'the minimalists'.

Anyway, enough rambling. Sorry if this has all been said already. I just love this topic!

P x
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Two new light fittings in the newly decorated kitchen/diner - two old washed light fittings dropped off at Barnardo's today ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Hi Princesssparkle - welcome, yes I'm a fan of 'Consumed'. I didn't know that there was going to be a Netflix documentary, I'll be looking out for that.

I'm definitely not a minimalist, and that's why I like the MK method so much, you decide what brings you joy, no arbitrary rules. My house is much emptier than it used to be, but I still love my books, my random collection of china on the kitchen dresser and my photos - I'd hate to have everything shut away.

It's hard to remember how things used to be, but the biggest change for me is that my floor is clear of everything but furniture. Before, I used to have bags, boxes and other stuff in corners - not hoarding, just stuff that didn't have a proper home, everything now lives in drawers or cupboards and it makes cleaning so much easier. Not admitting to how much craft stuff I have stashed away, it's all a work in progress!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) I was amused to see that the copy of Spark Joy is still in the chazzer, it's moving like cold cakes, lol.

I got the gift mug out to the chazzer alongside one other small item and they priced them immediately and got them onto the shelves. They've been having a good day, with double the usual take by the time I was talking to them at about 3.30 pm. I helped a little by buying some history books which are now the start of the 2019 gift stash for a certain history buff in my life.

I'm working my way through the contents of my fridge with a view to having used all the fresh stuff in the next few days as will be away from home over Christmas-New Year. Mustn't waste anything, it's not MSE. ;)
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Moll
    Moll Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    WeeMidgie wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the good wishes on becoming a granny. Mum, dad and babe are doing fine :)
    Have they chosen a name ? I got my first Grandson 7 weeks ago , They named him Chase
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Morning all. Today is a Kondo and clean day. Except first I have to go shopping......

Had to Kondo my flour cupboard the other day as I had weevils in the flour... :eek: but also found some shredded coconut from 2015 and yeast from 2016... So it wasn't all bad. I have just found some red current jelly from 2016 also....

A New Years resolution is to keep more on top of the Kondo, this thread helps. I haven't been too bad but, like my old school reports I "could do better":rotfl:
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport