Final checks before offer

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice/reassurance as nervous first time buyers!

We currently have a mortgage application going through with Halifax. All requested documents have been provided (just payslips and proof of very small amount of child maintenance from my ex husband), valuation completed and agreed at the price we offered. We were told at the initial application that we had passed credit checks and affordability looked very good.

Our advisor sent off to underwriters for final checks yesterday morning and said it usually took 48 hours for a decision but as this was a quieter time of year he hoped it might be quicker.

As we're both on a day off today, I gave Halifax a quick call to see if there were any notes on yet from the underwriters, as today would be a good time to sort out any further documentation required. The lady I spoke to (not our advisor) had a look at the notes and said there was nothing on there from us that the underwriters were requesting, but they had put notes on for the mortgage advisor to do some final things he needed to do at his end before the stop was removed and it could go to offer. She said it was all generic stuff and there was nothing alarming on there that she could see that would stop an offer being issued. Does this all sound normal? As we've never been through this before, talk of 'stops' and final things that need to be done just raises the anxiety levels, so wondering if this is all just normal process?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• These are normally fibnal checks to see if for example you did not take out a personal loan at the last minute which would make it unaffordable or had a default etc registered against you.

From your post it is unclear if you are referrring to Halifax's own adviser or an infependant mortgage broker.

If the later do not ever contact the lender directly and leave for yoour broker to deal with them as you may inadversely say something that could prompt a decline by the lender.
  • These are normally fibnal checks to see if for example you did not take out a personal loan at the last minute which would make it unaffordable or had a default etc registered against you.

From your post it is unclear if you are referrring to Halifax's own adviser or an infependant mortgage broker.

If the later do not ever contact the lender directly and leave for yoour broker to deal with them as you may inadversely say something that could prompt a decline by the lender.

It's Halifax's own advisor. We went direct and didnt use a broker. Haven't taken out anything, and have in fact paid off 12,500 (a loan and credit card) since the application was made. These were declared at the time of application and I advised I would be paying off before the mortgage started.

Fingers crossed all is ok. It's all unknown to me, being a first timer, so I'm unsure of what is normal and what isn't, hence the anxiety!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure