PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Can't take it with you.

Well, I suppose if you've got a lidded urn you could... :rotfl:
    Indeed you can't take it with you.
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Will you, though? I get the impression you are rather attached to it.

IIRC, DFV has always referred to her Denby purchases as her pension fund.
    I've got lots of Denby pieces - including some from 1930s and some one-offs.
    I've been collecting for 30+ years.
    I've always been attached to my stuff too but when I was having a pre-Christmas fettle and had to take it all off the window sills, dust it and put it back, it's suddenly become less precious.
    I think it's probably because I've made money on ebay and can see a possible way to make a little money back on my Denby.
    I've got a few pieces in my ebay watch-list to see if they sell/how much they make.
    Has anyone used Vinted, Schpock etc for selling clothes?

I haven't.
    I'm just getting to grips with ebay. :rotfl:
    I've made a pact with myself that if I see something good in our Air Ambulance £1.00 shop, I'll buy it, sell it and give half the profit back to the charity.
    Is that acceptable or should I leave the bargain for someone else?
    My reasoning is that if I can make more than £2.00 on an item and give them back more than £1.00, they've made more of a profit.
  • One of my favourite charity shops has me tagged as one of their favourite people, for today at any rate. I lugged in three sacks of Action Men, another of vehicles (with bonus dinosaur) & a teapot. Personally I am very bad at decluttering (I mean, finding the other sock & knowing its partner was donated last month is uncomfortable), but when it comes to moving my sons thoroughly-out-grown toys, I am muscular...
    (Although youngest's stuffed cat has resurfaced & he & I have agreed Tis The Season for it to be be collared with a loop of baubles & bells. A trick I pulled over a decade ago & could locate son & cat by the gentle jingling as they prowled around.)

The Denby. It's like asking a paranoid hypochondriac of they can spare a pack of paracetamol. As, based on the visible evidence, they have enough to wipe out the village but they may actually have the dosages planned & contingencies allowed for.
    A few pieces (I'm thinking of Greenwheat) I could sell tomorrow & shed not a tear. Just swear over the packaging til I'm sure it could survive a prop forward taking it for a Sunday morning out & then use the funds to indulge in other hobbies like eating.

Others have much more emotional freight & will be parted with largely to fund my funeral. (My menfolk know my quirks. They are also pretty well briefed on which basestamps to take to the auction houses & which to ebay.)

In between times, if I need to get the boiler replaced, I will probably have to let several crates go, but the flipside to that is The Great Wall is not labelled or sorted - so before selling anything I'll need a troop of scouts to lug it all, lay it all out in the scout hut, sort it properly, repack and properly tag the boxes and then list a few items.
    So it's a retirement project, most likely to occur once bereaved (less of this "selling the stuff I gave you" over decades, once he'd figured a teacup with the right basestamp got the same "ooh!" as flowers, just lasted Much Longer)
    Plus I have three sons to see safely set up. I've not got enough teapots, cups saucers plates bowls etc for them to have any pattern as I don't collect & store that way & anyway bowls & plates are tricky. They tend to be used & broken not shelved & eventually handed off. (Although a Scottish friend & I did spectacularly after an unfortunate divorce. She got the everyday stuff she wanted & uses & I got a casserole, veg dishes & all three of us lasses were pleased.)

I do look out for bits for friends, but I tend not to buy with an eye on prompt resale. It's more fun to gather a teaset cup by cup, as well as easier to lug home! Plus we do teach charity shop staff what to look for - it may say Denby but that chip reduces it to flower arranging uses only. That oval scroll means its around 1950-1975 & if it says Bourne, well, the Acquisition Committee can go take up tatting for a few minutes.

Oh and I'd sooner sell all sorts of things than the little individual butter crocks. Small testaments to a time when people either had more time than sense, or staff, and part of the breakfast table of my childhood.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,899 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Oh dear, the St Gemma's 99p shop in Otley was my downfall today. (I'm supposed to be cutting back on my chazza spends after a couple of recent splurges:o) Got a knee length jean style skirt in dark brown heavy cotton by Ann Weyburn(?), a striped shirt by Cotton Traders in pink and wine which is beautifully soft and an M & S T-shirt with elbow length sleeves in a mulberry colour. Now, the skirt is 4 sizes bigger than the T-shirt and the shirt is 2 sizes bigger than the Tshirt yet everything fits perfectly!! Something is amiss with sizings these days....either that or I am grossly mis-shapen :D

Also spent the outrageous sum of 20p on a remnant length of heavy curtain lining in cream. I am currently making dust bags for all of my leather bags so they don't get scratched and this fabric is perfect for the purpose. From the wondrous and weird 20p shop which I have heard is to close shortly....boo hoo!!
  • Dear Dig for Victory,
    I am usually on the decluttering thread, but lurk here from time to time as I too am very fond of my two local shops.
    Your post made me laugh so much it has brightened up my day. I too now look for Denby!
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Will you, though? I get the impression you are rather attached to it.

Has anyone used Vinted, Schpock etc for selling clothes?

Yea Shpock's ace.I use it a lot :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 21 December 2018 at 6:28PM
    I need to have a 'no buy January' I have bought too much the last two days.

Grey knitted jumper dress, 3/4 sleeves, flared skirt with cable knit and mini pom poms, can't remember the brand but wasn't one I've heard of - £4.99.
    F&F pink slouchy jumper, very fluffy feathery faux fur, two sizes bigger than me which makes it slouchy - £3.50
    M&S claret coloured cropped jumper, cable knit, button back with a split at the bottom - £3.
    Levi 504's straight fit jeans for DH, distressed finish £4.99
    M&S BNWT fur lined snood in grey, cable knitted outer £3.49
    Principles Ben de Lisi long line edge to edge grey cardigan, 2 pockets, super soft £3.99
    Boden cropped cardigan, mushroom colour with ribbon detail stitched down the front with large ribbon covered buttons which fasten by popper - £3.49
    Topshop ochre coloured cropped cardigan, vintage style with puffy 3/4 sleeves with 3 small buttons on - £2.99
    Next very thick cotton top, white with navy stripe, very Joules in style, 3/4 sleeve with chambray turnback, chambray trim at dipped hemline £2.99

How many cardigans does one woman need????? Despite wearing them almost everyday for work I realistically do not need anymore.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,899 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Probably my last trundle round the charity shops til the New Year was a welcome distraction from a tiresome week of toothache, plumbing problems, (not the medical sort), and a scary local robbery at knifepoint. :(. Just a small purchase but one that has given great pleasure. From the community chazza, a souvenir from The National Palace Museum, Taipei of a heavy ceramic coaster and a silk luggage label/holder thingy in one of the Immortal Blossoms designs. I'm getting good at finding souvenirs of places I've been for little money in the charity shops back home.....too mean to buy them there at exhorbitant prices. This little treasure cost me £1.25:)
  • I have found some great souvenirs that way, too, Miro, and some great guide books. Apologies for the lack of accent.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I have found some great souvenirs that way, too, Miro, and some great guide books. Apologies for the lack of accent.
    For some reason this site has an inconsistent relationship with the ! (acute o). Fine for usernames but seemingly not posts.

I bought a couple of books and a BNWT waterproof Minnie Mouse bag for 99p each this week.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Hi Miro :hello:
    Hope you're OK.

Like your idea of making bags for your bags. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure