I've been a massive fool...My planet UK Solar.

1101112131416»

Comments

• Hello Mart,
    I fell fowl to this scam in March time 2014, A year or so ago I was offered compensation by a third party company who I checked out with my CAB who advised me they were probably the same company trying to rip me off again under a new name. I have emailed RECC in case they can advise me as to my rights over the panels and their ownership.

If joining this thread nearly 3 years on is of any use to anyone, I'd be happy to help.

Like the original poster, I was had and don't remember ever falling for scams before this, the people behind this were very skilled in manipulation of their figures and of us.

Thank you for the honest talk on such a shameful and embarrassing issue for me in those early months when I realised I wasn't even going to make the money I was estimated to make.
  • chrisboa wrote: »
    Hi I had the same kind of thing you experienced with Solar PV with my Planet.
    I am a qualified green deal assessor and domestic energy assessor so should have known better
    I had a Norwich firm called Solar Essence signed me up on Hitachi Capital at a very expensive rate. I was very lucky the inverter was fixed by the manufactures Power one. I recently sold my Feed in Tariff or Fit through a broker called cashinyoursolar.co.uk they gave me just short for £10,000 cash lump sum and they now look after the system and I still get the cheaper electricity but no feed in tariff payments as they go to them
    Hope the sun shines on your panels
    Chris

Chris, do you think this company are worth considering for My Planet customers or other companies other than the one who sold to you?
  • minimike2
    minimike2 Posts: 2,210
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Cardew wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum.

You will probably get better advice in the Green and Ethical section of MSE. However my understanding is that you will need to have the panels installed on the new house by a MCS registered installer, and not only will you get the new rate of FIT but there is doubt if your 'second hand' panels will qualify.

The cost of scaffolding to remove panels(fixing holes in roof made good) and scaffolding/installation in the new house make the idea a non-starter.

You would be better trying to get the buyer of your old house to pay you a couple of thousand pounds.

As I understand following my own battle with a company following my install, once a system has been commissioned, those panels cannot be re-commissioned again, so would not be able to claim the FIT if moved onto another property.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    There are still 'free PV' adverts and promotions out there, which are most likely loan based deals, which probably won't work.

If you complain to the ASA they can (and do) ban the adverts. Criminals don't worry too much about ASA rulings, but that is no reason to let them off the hook.
  • Hi lots of firms now offering to buy your FiT, with whichever firm you went with for the PV install, They are not bothered who did the job or how much you paid all they need to know is when you joined the FiT and historically how its been performing
    As I mentioned I recently sold my feed in tariff, solar system investment and got £10,000 paid by BACS My system is an East and West array I live up North so not a top performing solar system. The better the PV system the more you get, also the main factor that influences how much you get is when you joined the FiT, early joiners will get offered the most as they are on a much higher tariff about .45p per kWh now with a little few pence for what they deem you export (assumed at 50%) (commissioned before March 3, 2012) and for longer payback (25 years instead of 20 years)

Beware i've heard of some firms offering more than others only to send a sales person (AKA solar surveyor) who then try to sign you up for a lower offer, also be careful with so called rent a roof scheme and lease or mortgage agreements the firm I dealt with was honest and I got what I was offered with no complicated agreement.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,713
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Just some thoughts of mine on the 'buy your FiT' guys. All the examples I've seen have been about 1/3 of the remaining FiT+Export.

When I tested the numbers I found that if you took out a cheap loan (as per the offers on this site) and repaid it over a time period equal to the annual PV income, then you probably pay the loan off in 10-12 years.

So for most people they could have the same cash lump sum today, and another 5-10 years of PV income after the loan has been repaid.

They may need to pay to replace the inverter, perhaps £800-£1,000, but that should be far, far less than the PV income.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • JamesJ35mm
    JamesJ35mm Posts: 14 Forumite
    My father-in-law had a similar experience, he was told his panels would pay for themselves and that they'd sort the fit payments out but they never did. He put a claim in and managed to get about £10,000 of outstanding finance written off, it took over a year and he had to pay the claims firm £3,000 but he's still better off in the long run.
  • Gstyle007
    Gstyle007 Posts: 22
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Gstyle007 wrote: »
    I've had a look through my paperwork that I got and I have a 10 year guarantee backed by Hies and an insurance company.

I rang them today and the insurance company that backed My Planet has also gone bust but they said that I am still covered (not sure how) and they are just waiting for details of the liquidation of the company and they will give me a ring back in a few days.

So fingers crossed it might be ok, but we will see.

Ok, So now it seems i'm not covered, even though the HIES certificate said UP TO 10 years, they only actually cover what the installer gives you which was 2 years.

So i was about a month too late :mad:

Another thing that was mis-sold !!!

Does anyone know if I could claim on my house Insurance?
  • I am sorry to hear about your situation,

Regardless of where you purchase your solar panel and your financing plan the payback period tent to be on the longer side (around 10 years). In addition to this many of the subsidies (Feed in Tariff) and benefits that can reduce the financial burden are being removed, which further extends the time until payback, or the initial sunk costs. I used the following link to try and midget to cost of installation for my home, but even my best efforts will still have a significant payback period.
  • Hi, have you managed to recover any of your cash? Is the system delivering what they said it would be? I bought through MyPlanet and haven't had anywhere near the quoted generation, but managed to claim back through a claims company.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure