Court Negligence - Help / Advice

I changed my address during the divorce case and informed the court. I had mentioned in the acknowledgement form that I will apply for the financial settlement. They sent all paper work to my old address and was not even aware about court hearing, decree nisi or decree absolute. When I learnt that the court has finalised the divorce, I phoned the court and was told to email the court manger, who never replied to the email. (They had not updated my address on court's file)

I made a complaint through Resolver and received the response that I can apply for the financial settlement any time.

The court staff totally ignored the impact it has caused - My ex has married, which could not had happened before financial settlement.
What if my ex transfer all the money in new partner's account or buy a property in their name?
What if my ex passes away or leave the country?
My question is - how should I reply to the court and express my fears and feelings?

Please advise...

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Using a solicitor.

This isn’t something you can do alone.
  • pphillips
    pphillips Posts: 1,631
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Your questions are speculative - at the moment you haven't suffered any actual financial loss. Your complaint needs to focus on the maladministration over how the court dealt with your divorce and how this has caused you stress and inconvenience.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,198
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Why not make your application for financial settlement now? Your ex-husband will have to disclose his financial information, including any joint accounts and whatever he knows about his wife's assets.

You might be able to get an apology from the court but they wouldn't liable.
    If you ex dies you could potentially make an application under the Inheritance Act , but the best thing to do would be get your application underway sooner rather than later.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure