Why I no longer travel by train

Options

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    ...we're getting short formed HST's so we'll see how that goes.

I took one last week from Dundee to Aberdeen, it was not bad but the big problem is the lack of power sockets - although I've been told many of the newly introduced trains on the Edinburgh - Glasgow route also don't have sockets.
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    Northern in particular are poor although hopefully it's going to improve in the next couple of years once they get rid of all the Pacers and the 37 hauled services. The Pacers were meant to be a short term stopgap and as much as I like the class 37's, they are a long way past their prime and not suitable for mainline commuter services.

Personally, I'd rather the class 37s and Mk2 coaches stay. Sprinters aren't much better than the Pacers. And replacing a 3.5 coach class 37 train with a 2 coach Sprinter is going to cause overcrowding etc.

(Of course, for a short time, the new class 66 locos were used instead of the 37s which gave best of both worlds - modern reliable loco with decent coaches!).
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Is this inevitable? What would you change in the way trains are managed and operated in Britain? Are there any other European countries where you've been impressed with the rail system?
    I would like to see the trains nationalised and managed properly by our Government. There appears to be no accountability at the moment. I'm still waiting for compensation for something that happened 2 years ago. I'm fully resigned to the fact I won't be seeing that money. I take my car nowadays and truth be told, God Forbid I do have to take the train, I just don't pay now. The only reason I ever did pay was out of pure honesty.... Yet when I was severely let down by the train company, they decided to wash their hands and just ignore my repeated e-mails.

Yes, I did some work in Denmark in 2013 and had to take two connecting trains from Struer (up in the North West of Denmark) to Kastrup which is basically Copenhagen airport. You can actually do this on a 50 minute domestic flight and that is also a good option, albeit a little bit rickety. The trains were superb. This was not on special trains or anything like that, just a standard regional train at first and then a faster IC train which is the kind you might find running all the way across Europe. Both trains were excellent.
  • mangog
    mangog Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    I love travelling by train. Good thing too, as I don't have a car and can't afford driving lessons so it's the only way to visit my family, who live 3 hours away. The system is nowhere near perfect but it's the only option for some of us!
  • Spelunthus
    Options
    Rail fares DO need to be better controlled.

I had a pre-booked ticket for a 100 mile journey - cost about £15 return with Railcard. I mislaid the tickets! - so went on the morning of my journey to the station machine and asked for a new return - the FIRST fare offerred was £253 ! Right at the end of about 20 fares was a return for £20 that suited me. What a shambles. I'm sure some who are less critical (non-English speakers perhaps), would fall for the huge fare. Also with Off-Peak, Super-Off Peak, Anytime... etc - NO-ONE KNOWS if a ticket is valid for a specific train, and it's not printed on the ticket!

These issues really need sorting out - how about a country-wide contactless system, that charges the lowest applicable fare for that particular journey?
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would like to see the trains nationalised and managed properly by our Government.

You can see how well that might work by looking at the workings of Network Rail!
    For sure there are many things the operating companies can do better including sorting out the complexities of ticketing but just look at how many travel now compared with, say, the early 1990s.
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I took one last week from Dundee to Aberdeen, it was not bad but the big problem is the lack of power sockets - although I've been told many of the newly introduced trains on the Edinburgh - Glasgow route also don't have sockets.

That be untrue, the new trains on the Edinburgh - Glasgow route have sockets, however they are located below & between the seats.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,792 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    giraffe69 wrote: »
    You can see how well that might work by looking at the workings of Network Rail!
    For sure there are many things the operating companies can do better including sorting out the complexities of ticketing but just look at how many travel now compared with, say, the early 1990s.

or by looking at the (historical) workings of BR when the gov of the day was sucking all the money out of it to balance the books elsewhere in the budget rather than re-investing profits into the business
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Pennywise wrote: »
    Personally, I'd rather the class 37s and Mk2 coaches stay. Sprinters aren't much better than the Pacers. And replacing a 3.5 coach class 37 train with a 2 coach Sprinter is going to cause overcrowding etc.

(Of course, for a short time, the new class 66 locos were used instead of the 37s which gave best of both worlds - modern reliable loco with decent coaches!).

Personally I'd much rather 37's as well but as much as it pains me to defend DMU's, from a passenger point of view they are a better solution for that type of work. They are desperate for DMU's in Cumbria where it's a 37/68 LHCS:

https://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/16430100.dismay-for-south-cumbria-as-mp-says-no-train-upgrades-until-december-2019/

The 37's are slow, unreliable and noisy but even the newer 68's (I assume you meant those than the 66's which apart from the Belmond or rescue don't do passenger work) are inefficient, have no redundancy (or have the huge cost of a second 68) and for the same size of train you lose a carriage's worth of capacity for the loco itself. Plus it's a waste of a 68 for such a small consist given their power and the fact they're limited as no more can be purchased due to changes in emissions regulations.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kite2010 wrote: »
    That be untrue, the new trains on the Edinburgh - Glasgow route have sockets, however they are located below & between the seats.

Please feel free to locate the two people who told me and call them liars to their faces - or might it be that perhaps you haven't been on every single new train on the route?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure