Frenchie - cost of sedation and ear cleaning

Hi - just looking for some advice on vet fees. My frenchie has had constant ear infections since March. The past two infections have been treated using osurnia gel. To begin with this has worked well but a few weeks later it returns. To avoid any reoccurrence the vet has suggested that we sedate him and clean the ear thoroughly before applying osurnia again. They have quoted me £340 for this which seems a bit high! When we had him neutered in February his ears were cleaned at the same time which cost less than £150. Don’t understand why there is a huge price difference? Is neutering subsidised?

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    You should receive an itemised bill. If you don't get one ask for one.
    That will show what each item cost.

But a lot of the costs for the neutering would also cover th ear cleaning. e.g There would be no sedation as the dog would already be aneasthetised. Costs relating to the theatre time ad supplies would be included in the neutering cost. So that would subsidise the cost of the ear cleaning.
  • Neutering is often subsidised or offered at a 'special offer' price. To encourage take up.

Is sedation absolutely necessary? Flat faced breeds like French Bulldogs often have compromised breathing so it shouldn't be done if there's any alternative.
  • Neutering (both male and female, cat, dog) is often offered at at-cost or below-cost price, because it's a loss-leader that gets people through the door. You probably paid for the start of the anaesthetic and the rest is done a) because it's good for him and b) because they hope now you've experienced the place, you'll go back.

(It might also include the Osurnia which, as you've probably discovered, isn't that cheap in the first place)
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • Hi - just looking for some advice on vet fees. My frenchie has had constant ear infections since March. The past two infections have been treated using osurnia gel. To begin with this has worked well but a few weeks later it returns. To avoid any reoccurrence the vet has suggested that we sedate him and clean the ear thoroughly before applying osurnia again. They have quoted me £340 for this which seems a bit high! When we had him neutered in February his ears were cleaned at the same time which cost less than £150. Don’t understand why there is a huge price difference? Is neutering subsidised?

If your dog has frequent ear infections you need to find the trigger.
    With my dog it’s anything that contains chicken so we avoid that.
    I found EpiOptic to be the best ear cleaner which can be bought easily online.
    Thornit is pretty good too, a small bottle lasts for ages.
    The price of anaesthetic has risen recently.
    Be happy, it's the greatest wealth :)
  • I have had the same problem. She has gone to the vets this morning and the cost is going to be £310! I had my boy neutered and his ear done and only cost £150 in total! Did you go ahead with the treatment and if so did it work? I am hoping it does because this is a lot of money. Thank you.
  • GBNI
    GBNI Posts: 576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The vet should be working to help you find what is causing these issues. I have heard they can be prone to skin conditions and allergies, so you need to find the trigger. The most common on ones are poultry as these animals are grain fed. A lot of people think as the food is grain free they can feed it but not much use when the meat in it has been fed a diet of grain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure