Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 5th Nov 15, 11:32 AM
    • 1,166Posts
    • 5,752Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    In the nick of time
    • 5th Nov 15, 11:32 AM
    In the nick of time 5th Nov 15 at 11:32 AM
    Hello,
    I been reading debt free diaries and mortgage free diaries since the summer and I have been hugely inspired and reassured my dreams are achievable.

My husband was significantly in debt until 2 1/2 years ago through a failing business during the recession. Due to having equity in our home I was able (had to) to re-mortgage and pay off the debts. that's the simple version anyway.

During the time when my husbands income was negligible we had a lodger. Unfortunately those basement rooms require about 5K worth of work and are currently unlettable. I hope either to save this money by the spring, or maybe withdraw some capital from my husbands small pensions. He gets about 200 pcm plus 800 wage. He has his own debt to pay until June next year, then I gain 120 to go towards the mortgage.

I have a fairly good job and have always worked extra hours. My husband is working in a job on minimum wage. After many money related traumas and battles our relationship is fantastic.

My aim is to retire at 55 if I can. I am going to go hell for leather to make this happen. We trimmed our expenses years ago. We have the occasional slip up and overspend in fact this year has been an overspend on some big items whist shopping at lld1.

We have recently registered with airbnb to increase our income and may soon break even from initial outlay.

Sold house March 2018

Savings
    Rainy day 2000

Short term goals
    Buy new home, pay down mortgage to < 100k by end of fixed deal June 2019 (looking less likely as spent 10 weeks in temporary accommodation)
    NEW HOME page 32

KEY DATES
    Can access work pension 2025 (55 years)
    Have very small 2k private pension to close 2025
    DH state pension 2025, plus current pension of 200 pcm
    DH shares can be accessed from June 2020 and 2021but aim to cash them 2025
    my state pension 2037
    Official mortgage end 2030

http://www.whatsthecost.com/snowball.aspx

Mortgage OP
    June 2018 OP 278. 68
    June 30th OP 200.00 = 478.68
    July 2nd OP 34.14 = 512.82

Long term savings shares/ISA (without interest/growth)
    Me
    July 2018 100 & 143
    August 2018 100 =343
    September 2018 +100 = 443
    October 2018 +100 = 543
    November 2018 +100 = 643
    December 2018 +100 = 743

OH SM shares
    June 2018 1200 + 200 = 1400
    July 2018 +200 = 1600
    August +200 = 1800
    September +200 =2000
    October +200 = 2200
    November +200= 2400
    December xmas month off
    Last edited by Moneyfordreams; 01-11-2018 at 9:48 AM. Reason: to add link
Page 38
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 24th Nov 18, 9:29 AM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 5,752 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Well the builders have packed up and left until after the windows are fitted which are due 4th Dec I honestly don't understand how the bulk of the plastering cannot be completed. I did bring it up with builder friend and he said "it is what it is" They plan to finish off after they are all fitted, take about 3 days. Both rooms need made good around the window and doors and where was bricked up. We asked them to skim over chimney breast in front room too. There are steels to box in also.

After we return I am on night shifts every weekend in Dec, Thurs to Sunday. So if the windows get fitted on a Tuesday , he comes on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, that will impact my Friday sleep..... Never again as much as his work is good , he is too set in his own ways and the whole experience is disjointed and more costly.

Anyhow , have PT session this am, followed by a quick throw on of my 2 hair dye... then pop back to the city for a baby shower. Baby sitting tonight so it will be a good excuse to leave handy
    Mortgage restart June 2018 119950
    December 2018 cc 5500, 5350, 3000
    Mortgage 115000
    1700 on DD1s car cc
    • Mara_uk7
    • By Mara_uk7 24th Nov 18, 8:33 PM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 4,246 Thanks
    Mara_uk7
    Orkney
    Hiya, I dont post often, but noticed you were cruising in March ! I live in Orkney, lots to see here, I work with the cruise ships who arrive here. Dont worry, we will look after you 😃
    Its just a bad day, Not a bad life ..
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 29th Nov 18, 4:32 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 5,752 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Thank you Mara, We will give you a wave
    we are looking forward to the cruise... I'm just apprehensive about UK temperatures. Mind you after wrapping ourselves up in Vienna I'm sure we will be fine

Back to our building site today... another layer of dust to mop. 5 sleeps until the windows

smart metre to be fitted tomorrow

pay day money shuffling completed. I over estimated my salary .. I will have enough to pay for windows and builder by going 100 into my new overdraft . Thats if I live on my newly acquired CC. good job we know how to live frugally... I just blow money on the big stuff

I'm working overtime 3 night shifts this weekend. 2 of those will be in dec pay. The overdaft does seen to be a cheap way to borrow. I asked for 1000 until end April. The letter confirming told me if I borrowed the full amount for the full term it would cost me 27. Once the building jobs are complete I need to get back to debt and mortgage busting. Trying to renovate a house on 0% cards and such like in a challenge when you're as impatient as me
    Mortgage 115000
    1700 on DD1s car cc
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 30th Nov 18, 2:47 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 5,752 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    So I've changed my signature to be brutally honest with myself. The 2 higher cc's are on 0%, one has 18months to run and the other is until May 2019. The 3000 will be 3000 later today when I pay off our cruise holiday on it and put on building reg fees. I really want this cc to be gone by end of Feb. Which means 1000 per month, from salary, maybe March is more realistic but I want to give it a shot.

With me doing OT and working every weekend my salary should be good enough to achieve this. Then it's tackle the ending in May CC , my newly allowed OD is only until end April too. …. The other can run it's course as other jobs are really necessary, such as drains and a new bathroom. July is re mortgage time

Building regs people happy with work completed so far. Builder has reiterated what structural engineer said about drains in recommending they were replaced sooner rather than later. (3.5k) and our bathroom is a bit better than awful thanks to cushion floor but we've sprung a leak from behind toilet. OH has done a fix for now, again it's highlighted the need to fix sooner ( 2.5k -3.5k).

I'm loosely thinking end of May for drains... September for bathroom. keeping fingers crossed

Smart metres installed. I had 18 credit on other metres which the fitter says should be refunded by SP. They have started us off with 20 on each (40 credit ) He said my communication from house to phone should take 48 hours. So I logged on to app for it to say I was 115.98 in credit !! I paid a final Bill in old house in March and have been using pay as you go pre paid metres. I do not know where it came from... I will phone SP next week after the communication is set up and hopefully refund on its way.
    Mortgage 115000
    1700 on DD1s car cc
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 30th Nov 18, 3:38 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 5,752 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    The reasons why I'm so far off budget... Cruise... they wanted payment 16 weeks before not 8 (see how I'm blaming them? )
    Builder didn't commit to complete job.. leading me to buy a front door and have joiner fit it , the builder said was doing complete job. ( see how I'm blaming him? )
    Builder needed to build up rather than underpin. Work will be 500 more than anticipated. unforeseen costs.... Builder also said he would do work cheaper than local firm.... it's bout 500 more all in and 1500 if we consider he is doing the smaller job ( I did want doorway moving but that would've needed underpinning. )
    200 spending in Vienna … OH saved and took 500
    DD1 still owes me 230...
    I bought a sofa .. for our new room

All in all builder and glazing will leave me 100 into overdraft. Luckily we get paid before Christmas
    Last edited by Moneyfordreams; 30-11-2018 at 3:51 PM.
    Mortgage 115000
    1700 on DD1s car cc
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 1st Dec 18, 9:41 AM
    • 582 Posts
    • 3,811 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    Ouch to being off budget, but yay for being brutally honest and facing it head on...I'm a great believer I doing this, although not always so good at actually doing so myself!!

Enjoy the windows when they arrive!!

Current balance 219,990.00. Offset 0. 219,990.00 needed to be mortgage neutral!
    End date - 12/28 but aiming for 12/23 - 2019 Overpay & Offset 0
    Former DFW Nerd 230. Determined to be MF. Bring it on!
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 2nd Dec 18, 1:48 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 5,752 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    One more OT night shift left... then back to my final 3 AL days. This opportunity rarely comes up so I'm glad I've done them, but I've had a stinking cold... sneeze sneeze splutter splutter… luckily many of my clientele have been topped up with alcohol to care if I'm germy. My close colleague is older and struggles. She's been in the same position therefore supporting each other It will pay the extra builder money I hope

Better than, I'm so looking forward to windows and light and no dust … 2 more sleeps until windows... or maybe 3, if the windows arrive on the morning of the 4th they will be fitted then. If not it will be the following day. Then after that plastering. I'm told builder I'm happy and wanting work to continue this week except Saturday am as I'll be sleeping. He seems accepting of that. He does have a good work ethic therefore has to accept mine And I think we've been more than flexible meetings his "project management"

Another positive is after our little trip I've jumped straight back on the slimming world plan after not counting anything whist away I'm behaved myself on return hoping by Tuesday I will have scored a maintain rather than a gain ... pondering nipping to the gym before night shift but that may be a stretch too far
    Mortgage 115000
    1700 on DD1s car cc
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 2nd Dec 18, 4:06 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 2,995 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    All sounding so energetic..blimey You're on fire

Best of luck with getting through the pressures..and the lack of sleep

Onwards and upwards. You'll be fine I know x
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [29%May 25%June 15%July 32% Sept & Oct 0% Nov ] 2018 Income Goal 125/750 December Goals: AFDs 03/25; Decluttering 15/60; LSDs 03/10; NSDs 01/10 Exercise 01/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 4th Dec 18, 8:06 AM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 5,752 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    thanks Brizzle,

Windows day today... keeping fingers crossed … glazer knocked yesterday to check kitchen window size. Said they will be fitted by the end of today
    I hope he's right The blast3d skip is still here though. The reason the builder told me he was taking out the windows early was because the skip was arriving. So almost 3 weeks later it's still here. He promised at the weekend and yesterday (and told us before our trip) There is a squeeze to get past it on the drive, and what with the windows /bifolds coming and all

SW today It I've not lost at least I'm on track. I had kind of an epiphany last week about me dieting off 7-10lbs putting it on . taking it off... has been a weight maintenance rather than weight loss. Last time I lost 2 stone I put it straight back on again. On a positive , I'm not at my heaviest by about 10lbs. I will go to the gym before going and try not to stress if the gazers are here

I'm on a lockdown of spending. not spent on shopping since last Friday. I did pay glazer balance yesterday. Freezer still bursting with food. think I may make a leek and potato soup
    Mortgage 115000
    1700 on DD1s car cc
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 5th Dec 18, 3:11 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 5,752 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Yay for bifolds, booo to no window until Monday.
    plastering tomorrow and Friday .
    Sofa arrived at 06:50 this am. I've left it in the box for now.
    Skip has gone
    1.5lbs off at SW, that's 6lbs in 4 weeks and a little holiday (were absolutely no syn counting was done )
    Mortgage 115000
    1700 on DD1s car cc
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 5th Dec 18, 9:24 PM
    • 582 Posts
    • 3,811 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    All looking good! Definitely heading in the right direction. I love it when a plan finally comes together!!

• newgirly
    • By newgirly 6th Dec 18, 7:11 AM
    • 6,540 Posts
    • 45,482 Thanks
    newgirly
    Well done on the weight loss
    MFW 21

• Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 6th Dec 18, 6:12 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 5,752 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Thank you both.. I've felt strong all year as the last 9 months or so I've been exercising 3 times a week... mentally feeling great. Hopefully I'll keep up the sensibility with diet for a while longer.

A little day shift today before my nights over the weekend was ok.

The plastering has begun.. It makes our room look huge ( it's not) the boxing in is ready for skimming tomorrow. tomorrow or Monday for the window, but super pleased and relieved.

The sofa still in the box ( miracle as i'm so impatient )

My new size 16 jeans too big

I'm loving my little music box from Vienna, Beethoven Fur Elise … those little wind up ones 8 euros

Tomorrow I can mop again, unpack my sofa.. and go to work at night :/ asked about a fake xmas tree for one room on fleabay . Still want a little real one in the other I'm scared finances could run away with me. OH gets paid tomorrow.. and he gets 250 more than usual after his extras (just shows it can be done .. ) he wants to save for our March holiday... maybe 4 night a week is a thing
    Mortgage 115000
    1700 on DD1s car cc
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 11th Dec 18, 8:11 AM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 5,752 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Did I not mention only the bifolds went in last week? we had a further week with only ply covering our kitchen window. Yesterday the window was fitted

I was determined to be warm but OH had the doors open for about 3hours whilst fitting new ply to the floors. We are planning karndean type vinyl as its a kitchen diner but think we may just varnish it for now until the kitchen is done. We will soon be clean

Joiner coming today to fit skirtings, Builder coming tomorrow to finish off hopefully electrician too.. I will be waving bye bye to my last bit of cash … (we do have bills covered) ((and about 3.5k in LT savings)) ((( this makes me less panicky )))

Now we (almost) have 2 functioning rooms we needed Christmas to begin. I bought a 7ft tree for kitchen diner from Fleabay 25. An artificial one for the first time in 25years or so. But bought a small 5ft real one for our front room another 25 . sat it on a chest and it looks fabulous. We also picked up outdoor lights from the range for 29. To keep up with the neighbours of course

It's DGD 5th birthday today , looking at DD1s gifts to presenther with, that's where the money owed to me is . DD1 did a deal for her party. she did the owners hair for free... therefore free party I've just telephoned her to say happy birthday... and reminded her it will be a whole year until she's 6 ( hehehe) but apparently she'd already thought of that
    Mortgage 115000
    1700 on DD1s car cc
    • Betterthanever
    • By Betterthanever 11th Dec 18, 9:02 AM
    • 582 Posts
    • 3,811 Thanks
    Betterthanever
    It may be a money drain right now, but it will so be worth it! Enjoy getting started on Christmas....we plan on doing the same at the weekend.

• Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 15th Dec 18, 4:29 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 5,752 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    so I'm not so happy with builder issues.... I've said about one thing or another, but overall arrogance from a friend has been quite challenging. we've dismissed it really to ensure we keep the peace but the other day, I questioned what was going on out side. , He snapped and walked away. They have not removed old lintel and made a hideous render patch at approx. 80 cm horizontally across the back wall above bifolds with a side slope to allow for soil pipe. Think my gob hit the floor when I saw it. In my naivety I thought the old lintel would disappear into brick... I assumed as with inside they would have built down to the steel with brick and remove old lintel. They have rendered without my knowledge or consent. the inside walls that needed to be skimmed haven't been, and there is brick work you can put your fingers down the side of the bricked up doorway. My OH has been putting ply in the room to make clean for now, but they managed to cover that in plaster when the only had window to do. Not a dust sheet in sight. They had left an area around sink about half a bricks width in case we damaged on removal for new kitchen which is likely 2 years away !! So that was Thursday. they patched around the sink but has not returned OH call. He spoke to labourer when he answered mates phone. He told them we were unhappy with render and a few things not complete.. but no response yet. He may however be being nice as we are on nights. But we think it's most likely the arrogant soandso is making us sweat.

There has been quite a few tears from me... possibly led by hormones and anger.. but really because I feel hurt and let down, dismissed in my own home. And it will be me who has to pay thousands to repair this rubbish.

My OH car has finally died. Mechanic thinks, scap money will be a pittance. may just cover his bill. MOT was only 2-3 weeks ago He's currently got lifts to work and giving his mate petrol money. Us working the same shifts miles apart may make our relationship healthy but are problematic for transport. I am on days and annual leave for 1st 2 weeks of Jan, so he can have car at night. I have wanted a new car but timing is awful. I wanted to lash my next 2 -3 months salary at the newly amounted interest paying cc to get to zero by end feb.

Taking a car on finance will be a absolute pain.

positives are, the cheap fleabay 25 Christmas tree is fab...
    new knobs for kitchen cheer it up
    half way through my mega night allocation.
    on might short nights (will be able to pick up 3hours each night OT to pay for something)

OH I laying last of ply and has patched up around hearth in front room (at last)
    Joiner now coming monday for skirtings and turning door around. His father in law is very poorly therefore cancelled other day. We can't decorate due to my belief walls need skimming , need builder to see first, so waiting isn't a problem for him.

Can't spend fpr Christmas when place is still chaos.
    Last edited by Moneyfordreams; 15-12-2018 at 4:32 PM.
    Mortgage 115000
    1700 on DD1s car cc
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 16th Dec 18, 11:04 AM
    • 6,540 Posts
    • 45,482 Thanks
    newgirly
    Oh blimey Mfds you poor thing The builder sounds like a total @rse!

Could your dh get a lift longer term until you are ready to get a new car?
    MFW 21

• Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 16th Dec 18, 7:53 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 5,752 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    OH fairly confident mate can give him a lift for a bit longer. They don't work on a bus/train route from our area, would probably take over an hour each way for night shifts , which is just cruel.. AS I get paid more for nights , I've requested 2 weeks a month to bump up wages, but now its a pain.. bluurrrghhhh .

Anyhow , best get a shower.. last night for this week... please be safe everyone, I'm sick of the sound of my own voice and could do with a slow one
    Mortgage 115000
    1700 on DD1s car cc
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 17th Dec 18, 1:38 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 5,752 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    We are still getting "ghosted"by builder.... I can't believe his work and attitude have been so poor. Thankfully all the building regs stuff has been passed whilst waiting for the windows. It's only the finish... but we are shocked... we feel we have lost a friend.. and probably his partner too , who is one of my closest friends... Another one bites the dust We've had no reply to calls since they left Wednesday. I am a big worrier about money . We only owe him for the extra ply which is 120. I'm glad I've given him the other 5.5k as after OH went belly up I want bills paid and my reputation intact.

We will log all the disputed bits, I will take better photo's and if no response by end of week we will send them to him to ask when they will be completed. OH will phone daily. His partners, my friend's, sister is poorly (terminal cancer), plus their relationship is fragile so I will not involve her unless she puts herself there. We rarely socialise in the local pubs anymore , so it won't be an effort to miss them. ( these are people we have holidayed with 4-5 times and I've had round for Christmas more than once)

Positives... I won't have to decorate
    Less xmas pressies to buy
    no guilt for staying in or working when declining invites

Roll on pay day... but really I'm just wishing the next 3 paydays away.
    Mortgage 115000
    1700 on DD1s car cc
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 18th Dec 18, 7:00 AM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 5,752 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    Not sure if post night insomnia woke me up at 4am or my husbands constant snoring.... I've been up since 5am catching up with diaries, sitting in my new room with new fire feeling it desperately needs decorating.

We do have paint to do it for free but the fire place wall at least I was expecting to be skimmed. Anyhow joiner due this afternoon (to be paid by builder (pre arranged but delayed)) so we cannot start anything until he's put skirtings on.

I am looking also at how things need to change. We still have big house things, so double pots and pans.. We could do with new sets but will get away with them for now. OHs shed is jam packed so probably need a box under the stairs. So really a big declutter is needed for the kitchen side of the room.

I have bought 1 Christmas present so far. We need to get out to shop, however DD1 has put us on school run from tomorrow pre nights (I hated it for my own girls). I've told my girls we are on a budget this year. and OH and I are only buying token gifts. Less tatt and we've spent a fortune on the house. DD1 says she'll do the same as last year and get us a groupon hotel night. I've asked for caffeine plantar39 shampoo/condintioner off DD2 as they are a bit pricey but seem to be helping my fine hair.

Today is weigh day.. I've done well this week but let myself down with a large glass of wine last night and crisps... we will see. As SW is on Tuesdays the next 2 weeks are disrupted .. this is were my control fails me. I'm still telling myself its long term but I'm already fed up of walking past all the chocs in work
    Mortgage 115000
    1700 on DD1s car cc
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,958Posts Today

7,818Users online

Martin's Twitter